Random Thoughts

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
KristenM

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by KristenM »

I wish I had more leisure time to read and learn from DW, but alas, Im too busy exhausting my negative karma as a social worker. In Beetlejuice (which I recently saw again) they made a joke that people who commit suicide become civil servants in the afterlife. :shock:
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

TharpaChodron wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:51 am I wish I had more leisure time to read and learn from DW, but alas, Im too busy exhausting my negative karma as a social worker. In Beetlejuice (which I recently saw again) they made a joke that people who commit suicide become civil servants in the afterlife. :shock:

That movie has one of my all-time favorite lines:

Beetlejuice wrote: These aren't my rules. Come to think of it, I don't have any rules.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

dzogchungpa wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:02 am
That movie has one of my all-time favorite lines:

Beetlejuice wrote: These aren't my rules. Come to think of it, I don't have any rules.
Sounds a lot like some of my co-workers.
PuerAzaelis

Post by PuerAzaelis »

Bristollad wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:18 am... Cats ...
Generally, enjoyment of speech is the gateway to poor [results]. So it becomes the foundation for generating all negative emotional states. Jampel Pawo, The Certainty of the Diamond Mind

For posts from this user, see Karma Dondrup Tashi account.
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

My little town with no Dharma centers or anything just had a screening of the documentary "Walk with Me" at the local movie theater. Quite a nice film, I really enjoyed it.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

TharpaChodron wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:50 am My little town with no Dharma centers or anything just had a screening of the documentary "Walk with Me" at the local movie theater. Quite a nice film, I really enjoyed it.

"Fire Walk with Me" is more my kind of thing.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
PuerAzaelis

Post by PuerAzaelis »

dzogchungpa wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:37 am ... thing ...
Generally, enjoyment of speech is the gateway to poor [results]. So it becomes the foundation for generating all negative emotional states. Jampel Pawo, The Certainty of the Diamond Mind

Rick

Post by Rick »

dzogchungpa wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:37 am
TharpaChodron wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:50 am My little town with no Dharma centers or anything just had a screening of the documentary "Walk with Me" at the local movie theater. Quite a nice film, I really enjoyed it.
:thumbsup: :popcorn: :namaste:
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

dzogchungpa wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:37 am

okay okay, me too. If only I could see "Blue Velvet" on the big screen again. A personal favorite.
Losal Samten

Post by Losal Samten »

Ashik Kerib (1988)

The last film from Sergei Parajanov, dedicated to his late friend, Andrei Tarkovsky.

A poor Azerbaijani bard's wedding proposal is rejected by the prospective bride's wealthy father for having no offering to give in exchange. The girl vows to wait for the bard for one thousand days and nights so enough wealth may be earned to appease the father.

The least surreal of the three Parajanov films I have seen, yet it still maintains his distinctive post-Soviet Realism era's aesthetic flair. I would rank it behind Pomegranates, and above Suram Fortress. Recommended.

Lacking mindfulness, we commit every wrong. - Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
ཨོཾ་ཧ་ནུ་པྷ་ཤ་བྷ་ར་ཧེ་ཡེ་སྭཱ་ཧཱ།།
ཨཱོཾ་མ་ཏྲི་མུ་ཡེ་སལེ་འདུ།།
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

Losal Samten wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:31 am Ashik Kerib (1988)

The last film from Sergei Parajanov, dedicated to his late friend, Andrei Tarkovsky.

A poor Azerbaijani bard's wedding proposal is rejected by the prospective bride's wealthy father for having no offering to give in exchange. The girl vows to wait for the bard for one thousand days and nights so enough wealth may be earned to appease the father.

The least surreal of the three Parajanov films I have seen, yet it still maintains his distinctive post-Soviet Realism era's aesthetic flair. I would rank it behind Pomegranates, and above Suram Fortress. Recommended.

How does it keep a post-Soviet realism era aesthetic flair? Looks quite surreal to me. must check it out.
Losal Samten

Post by Losal Samten »

TharpaChodron wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:35 amHow does it keep a post-Soviet realism era aesthetic flair? Looks quite surreal to me. must check it out.
I meant despite the lack of surrealism compared to his other films after his ditching of his earlier Soviet Realism style, what with it having a more comprehensible narrative, it still has his later avante-garde visual style.

Personally I would jump in the deep end with his masterwork The Colour of Pomegranates instead of ramping up to it; that way it'll have a bigger effect.
Lacking mindfulness, we commit every wrong. - Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
ཨོཾ་ཧ་ནུ་པྷ་ཤ་བྷ་ར་ཧེ་ཡེ་སྭཱ་ཧཱ།།
ཨཱོཾ་མ་ཏྲི་མུ་ཡེ་སལེ་འདུ།།
PuerAzaelis

Post by PuerAzaelis »

Uh ... so, uh ...

Is everyone ready to ship Reylo or what?!

:popcorn:

PuerAzaelis

Post by PuerAzaelis »

Losal Samten wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:46 am ... surrealism ...

Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

My kids' humor five years ago.
Who reads this smells like tuna with onions.
Who reads this smells like tuna with onions.
image.jpeg (299.79 KiB) Viewed 3048 times
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Who reads this is a fatso.
Who reads this is a fatso.
image.jpeg (245.4 KiB) Viewed 3048 times
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

A compassionate soul corrected my bad grammar:

"WHOEVER reads this is a fatso." Or: "... smells like fish & onion."
PuerAzaelis

Post by PuerAzaelis »

Whomever?

Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Okay. Whatever. :smile:

I realize now, for understanding this joke one has to know these kids... How they enjoy to write something naughty and how they hate fish & onion. :lol:

So, it's not possible to translate anyhow.

.... edit: Now I see. The meaning is: "The one who reads this smells like fish & onion."
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

Ayu wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:12 pm Okay. Whatever. :smile:

I realize now, for understanding this joke one has to know these kids... How they enjoy to write something naughty and how they hate fish & onion. :lol:

So, it's not possible to translate anyhow.

.... edit: Now I see. The meaning is: "The one who reads this smells like fish & onion."
And perhaps understand German humor as well? :)

Return to “Lounge”