Buddhas only see other Buddhas

Minobu

Buddhas only see other Buddhas

Post by Minobu »

i see we all are just searching...we all are a step above and yearning.
anyway..the weird thing is this..

when malcolm said Buddhas only see buddhas not sentients...i get that now..
cause we all have attained it in our linear future...again the middle way...no linear yes linear in the conventional sense.

the conventional is just what we are in the illusion...but we are the illusion.all conventional is illusion.....the reality...well the other side of the middle way....is.... it it is a circle and we all have, as predicted in the Lotus Sutra, attained Buddhahood...So a Buddha only sees that....the Buddha in what we see as the future...which actually is happening now...

and the conventional what we view ourselves are.... is just part of the path towards Buddhahood.

so we all are Buddhas...how can you hate anyone or anything ...how can you do anything to one another ... other than just be a comrade in the path on the way to shambhala...

the whole we are buddhas thing...when it hits....it's the ultimate bodhicitta generator..which throws you light years ahead towards the goal...maybe this degenerate time one just can't be full blown...but it is like the best possible place to practice the Lotus , because it's almost impossible to do so...

The Fine dharma of The Lotus is the path for the conventionals...in the illusion...during the degenerative times...medicine and then....well in our Buddha time.... knows...
Vasana

Re: Buddhas only see other Buddhas

Post by Vasana »

'The true nature of beings is always buddha.
Not realising that, they wander in endless samsara.
For the boundless suffering of sentient beings
May unbearable compassion be conceived in our being.

When the energy of unbearable compassion is unceasing,
In expressions of loving kindness,
the truth of its essential emptiness is nakedly clear.
This unity is the supreme unerring path.
Inseparable from it, may we meditate day and night.'

MAHÅMUDRÅ ASPIRATION by 3rd Karmapa Rangjung Dorje.
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
Lindama

Post by Lindama »

new here, I hear Malcom saying Buddhas see only Buddahs. :bow:

I'm a half-breed... I thought that seeing the Buddha in everyone was a common practice in Tibetan. (a teacher suggested that) Nearly 20 years ago, I went to the Safeway (grocery store) in Healdsburg, CA without a lot of thought and fell into seeing precious buddhas everywhere. That particular Safeway was filled with migrant workers. Somehow my sense of self evaporated.

In that spirit, I'd say that seeing the Buddha in the conventional is not impossible... when I'm out of myself. Seeing only Buddhas is seeing only Buddhas. There is no separation. In zen, it feels like "nothing added" or "thank you very much, I have no complaints"... to name a few might touch the same sensibility.

linda

ps: I don't know what Nichrin is or how it differs from Tibetan.... or how Malcom, who I perceive is oriented in Tibetan, figures into this... forgive
Not last night,
not this morning,
melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Nichiren compared his practice to Bodhisattva Sadaparibhuta (Never Disparaging) who greeted everyone, 'I would never disparage you because you will be a Buddha!' Nichiren remarked, Sadaparibhuta's teaching in 24 characters was the same as his teaching in 5 or 7 characters.

We can't actually see Buddhahood. Only Buddhas can see Buddhahood. We proceed in the conviction that all beings are Buddhas. Living this is easier said than done. At certain points this conviction will clash with the samsaric views of other who do not see the Buddhahood of themselves or others. Nichiren taught the practice of persevering in the face of others resistance to universal and immsdiate Buddhahood. If everyone is Buddha, we all ought to be conducting ourselves very differently. But many of us have no idea about this and the world we see is the consequence of this collective ignorance of Buddhahood. Even those of us who have this conviction can only do our best to conform thoughts words deeds to this teaching. We are still perfecting. There are other ways to see this perfecting that reveals it as perfect though.

By the way, I changed my avatar to an image of the two buddhas seated in the treasure tower - buddhas looking at each other - at the heart of the Lotus Sutra. Just in time.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

Queequeg wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:18 pm Nichiren compared his practice to Bodhisattva Sadaparibhuta (Never Disparaging) who greeted everyone, 'I would never disparage you because you will be a Buddha!' Nichiren remarked, Sadaparibhuta's teaching in 24 characters was the same as his teaching in 5 or 7 characters.
So Nichiren Shonin taught in the conventional view. lol..i guess he felt compassion for us...
i say this cause it is a circle and we already are Buddhas...somewhere in the circle...lol...oh yeah and once again i post this and you people read it.I guess it is just too long for us to remmeber doing this over and over and over and over again
We can't actually see Buddhahood. Only Buddhas can see Buddhahood. We proceed in the conviction that all beings are Buddhas.
I understand that, but the knowledge of us being a Buddha along with every other sentient being in the samsaric cycle should bring out a certain respect for one another that is not your everyday..People of differing religions believe God Created everyone and yet they live with division and even kill one another in His name...(i capitalize Him not out of belief but in order to distinguish between God and gods).
So just the knowledge should impact your Bodhicitta
Living this is easier said than done. At certain points this conviction will clash with the samsaric views of other who do not see the Buddhahood of themselves or others

I'm not tooting my own horn here...but very rarely have i stepped out of this and into the samsaric bullshit. it causes me to have the guilt and anxiety, and is far too great to bear LOL! I think it's due to long term incarnations , cause i even have been told by family members to "Grow up David , everybody is mean"
As a kid i did do some weird stuff to ants..breaking fire crackers in half and flame burning them to death...pretty sadistic stuff...so i guess there are left overs to work on and remind oneself of.
By the way, I changed my avatar to an image of the two buddhas seated in the treasure tower - buddhas looking at each other - at the heart of the Lotus Sutra. Just in time.
I love when stuff like that happens.

So like as of late i'm having conversation with myself on a much deeper level than i used to. :roll:
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Minobu wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:23 pm
Queequeg wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:18 pm We can't actually see Buddhahood. Only Buddhas can see Buddhahood. We proceed in the conviction that all beings are Buddhas.
I understand that, but the knowledge of us being a Buddha along with every other sentient being in the samsaric cycle should bring out a certain respect for one another that is not your everyday..People of differing religions believe God Created everyone and yet they live with division and even kill one another in His name...(i capitalize Him not out of belief but in order to distinguish between God and gods).
So just the knowledge should impact your Bodhicitta
But the problem is, there are many beings who have never even heard the Buddha's name, let alone had any significant exposure that would cause them to have have an impression of Buddha.

This is why we propagate the Daimoku - to cause people to hear the name.
I love when stuff like that happens.
Me too.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

Queequeg wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:12 pm
But the problem is, there are many beings who have never even heard the Buddha's name, let alone had any significant exposure that would cause them to have have an impression of Buddha.

This is why we propagate the Daimoku - to cause people to hear the name.
it's weird but the first time i heard that we chant the name of Buddha is when a Rinpoche asked me if we chanted to a Buddha..he said the mantras are names of Buddhas. I never answered him but inside i was saying no, due to what i was taught by gakki.
i never looked at it that way for gakki did not teach it that way.
it was the Law of the Universe.

you make it so much more lucid and succinct
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Minobu wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:21 pm it's weird but the first time i heard that we chant the name of Buddha is when a Rinpoche asked me if we chanted to a Buddha..he said the mantras are names of Buddhas. I never answered him but inside i was saying no, due to what i was taught by gakki.
i never looked at it that way for gakki did not teach it that way.
it was the Law of the Universe.
It is also "the Law of the Universe" aka the Saddharma aka Myoho aka Buddha. Like the blind men arguing about the elephant, some people insist its a rope; others a wall, others a hose, still others a tree. Samantabhadra, sitting in the saddle says, "Dudes. Its an elephant."

You know one of my earliest memories is laying my head in my mother's lap and listening to hundreds of people chanting the daimoku - that primal vibration.
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

Queequeg wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:29 pm
You know one of my earliest memories is laying my head in my mother's lap and listening to hundreds of people chanting the daimoku - that primal vibration.
this, those words of yours, really hit me as beautiful...
where as you were born into this...incredible testament to your past..
I have another relationship with my parents...i shakubuku both..

my father's last witnessed verbal anything...was Nam Myoho Renge Kyo...when he was on deathbed in and out of comatose state...
Crow at his window pecking...kept coming around for a few days until he died...

unfortunately even though my mother gave her life to the gaki and Shoshu...she was a Kanji...she quit in the ;last few years of her life...
died a dreadful death...i was there ...i chanted ..but also said the Lord's Prayer for that is what she fell into...

very weird when i think of it...

i wish i was stronger or at least as strong as i am now...

when i left the hospital to get the car after spending some time with her after she passed...as i walked i thought someone was walking with me...i felt it...
so i turned and said.."Is that you Ma"...i swear i heard her voice in my head as clear as anything..."It's so beautiful"

this practice is hard to keep but if it wasn't it would not be the real deal.
nichiren-123

Post by nichiren-123 »

As I see it, everyone is inherently good. We want to do good and never cause harm.

But because of confusion, ignorance and delusions we are tricked into causing harm.

for instance a parent might smack a child thinking that it is necessary thing to do. Or someone might think their angry behaviour is justified.

when we go against our true nature and cause harm then this causes us to suffer - from remorse and karma.

when we can see that people are only causing harm because they are confused then rather than reacting against them (i.e. acting from a deluded point of view) we can take up the challenge of helping them reveal their true (i.e. good) nature. Or at the very least we can realize how our behaviour is deluded and we can overcome it.

this nature I'm talking about is my definition of buddha-nature.

So when you acknowledge people's buddha nature then that is you seeing only buddha's.

Return to “Nichiren”