Trump Tweets

The best place for discussion of current events. News about Buddhists and Buddhism is particularly welcome.
Minobu

Re: Trump Tweets

Post by Minobu » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:55 pm

dzogchungpa wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:37 pm
It's the Malcolm and Minibus show! I love this one!

:popcorn:
so the whole minibus is going to stick huh...
thanks (omit)ungpa ..is this it then...we lower ourselves to this...
great modding.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:56 pm

Queequeg wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:53 pm

I wonder how we're going to repair this - we need a truly decent person to have the Bully Pulpit for at least 8 years to reset the course.

Well, people have to get their shit together and not leave the top of their ballots blank because they fell for Russian propaganda.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:57 pm

fuki wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:33 pm
having the largest military budget how does that equate to being the most powerful?
Killing the most people the most quickly is a pretty good measure of military power.
Economically what do you mean exactly, again its not about amount (or your crazy debt lol) but how you use it, if I compare the US with my own country, our welfare, the way ppl are cared for (elderly,veterans,health care, prisoners etc etc) is so much better then in the US, the gap between rich and poor is kind of criminal in the US compared to our standards. I mean "power" is not what you have right its how you use it, you agree?
Look at GDP. Have you actually been to the US?

Power is power. Its unqualified. How its used is another consideration.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

I think each human being has things to find out in his own life that are inescapable. They’ll find them out the easy way or the hard way, or whatever.
-Jerry Garcia

dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:59 pm

Minobu wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:55 pm
dzogchungpa wrote:

great modding.

Bus, this is directly attributable to Trump's coarsening of discourse. That, and the ripening of karma. :sage:
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche

Minobu

Post by Minobu » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:00 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:54 pm
Minobu wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:52 pm
Malcolm wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:40 pm

I admonished you for going ad hom on Greg.
actually it technically isn't .
This is what you said:
it says a lot about your character and the effectiveness of your Buddhist practice.
That is an ad hominem.
in context ..in context...snippets do not make a point.

you do this a lot...cherry pick and snippet and then make some point....out of context...but not really.just a tad skewed to make something else out of nothing

it's impolite malcolm.

it's called...are you ready for this Malcolmize it. lol..

ok this was fun

It's Kenner It's fun...

Minobu

Post by Minobu » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:01 pm

dzogchungpa wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:59 pm
Minobu wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:55 pm
dzogchungpa wrote:

great modding.

Bus, this is directly attributable to Trump's coarsening of discourse. That, and the ripening of karma. :sage:
oh god...save me...
ROFLMAO....
thanks i needed the lol...

gots to go peeps.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:02 pm

Minobu wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:00 pm

it's impolite malcolm.
No, it is precise. People who want to look at more context can just view your original post.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

Mantrik

Post by Mantrik » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:13 pm

Gentlefolk.

Time for some 'Pax Hominibus'. ;)
http://www.khyung.com

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)

Minobu

Post by Minobu » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:16 pm

rubbernecks in...looks around....gotta get outta here....

fuki

Post by fuki » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:18 pm

Queequeg wrote:
Killing the most people the most quickly is a pretty good measure of military power.
Ok thanks we have a different view regarding the word "power" then. Military power (or any power) can be used in so many other ways then the act of killing.

I also see your second statement in another light, one's "Buddha-nature" eventhough it's "power" and potential is "there" the way its used is another matter, for me its actually how its manifested instead of its potential (sorry cant think of a better metaphor now) same applies to all things for me, and killing the most ppl or gpd says nothing in itself, just like our views its relative and not unqualified, its again not corresponding to dependent arising/"emptiness" or seeing the way things are instead of what they appear to be, "facts" and all that.

anyways I'm just asking because I try to understand malcoms and now your angle of vision, the concept about most powerful is not applicable to me so its not about "yes or no" regarding that, it just interests me how you see it and your reasoning.

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:34 pm

fuki wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:18 pm
Queequeg wrote:
Ok thanks we have a different view regarding the word "power" then. Military power (or any power) can be used in so many other ways then the act of killing.

I also see your second statement in another light, one's "Buddha-nature" eventhough it's "power" and potential is "there" the way its used is another matter, for me its actually how its manifested instead of its potential (sorry cant think of a better metaphor now) same applies to all things for me, and killing the most ppl or gpd says nothing in itself, just like our views its relative and not unqualified, its again not corresponding to dependent arising/"emptiness" or seeing the way things are instead of what they appear to be, "facts" and all that.

anyways I'm just asking because I try to understand malcoms and now your angle of vision, the concept about most powerful is not applicable to me so its not about "yes or no" regarding that, it just interests me how you see it and your reasoning.
I can't speak for malcolm.

You seem to consider power only in terms of its application. That's a unique interpretation of power.

In my view, and arguably the more general view, power is not qualified as good or bad or neutral. Power is the raw capacity to move the world. In that sense, the US is the most powerful. It has the greatest GDP, it has the capability of directly or indirectly controlling the flow of capital. It could put most countries out of business on a whim. Even considering the case of N. Korea, the US has not fully deployed its economic power. I don't think they will, because doing so will greatly diminish US power... another discussion.

In terms of military power, the capability of killing people is pretty much the measure.

What you consider power, is not really power. Its a moral standard. It doesn't actually take power into account.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

I think each human being has things to find out in his own life that are inescapable. They’ll find them out the easy way or the hard way, or whatever.
-Jerry Garcia

Lindama

Post by Lindama » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:41 pm

Perhaps, a better lens... greed, hatred and delusion
Not last night,
not this morning,
melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho

fuki

Post by fuki » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:43 pm

Queequeg wrote:
I can't speak for malcolm.

You seem to consider power only in terms of its application. That's a unique interpretation of power.

In my view, and arguably the more general view, power is not qualified as good or bad or neutral. Power is the raw capacity to move the world. In that sense, the US is the most powerful. It has the greatest GDP, it has the capability of directly or indirectly controlling the flow of capital. It could put most countries out of business on a whim. Even considering the case of N. Korea, the US has not fully deployed its economic power. I don't think they will, because doing so will greatly diminish US power... another discussion.

In terms of military power, the capability of killing people is pretty much the measure.

What you consider power, is not really power. Its a moral standard. It doesn't actually take power into account.
Thank you kindly for taking the time to elaborate, it's clear and is nice to observe how other ppl see things.

:smile:

fuki

Post by fuki » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:47 pm

Lindama wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:41 pm
Perhaps, a better lens... greed, hatred and delusion
Linda :smile:

Don't remember the author (it was a rinpoche) who said;
"Ignorance is an omnipresent phenomena"

"right and wrong" is a part of that in most cases. ;)

dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:45 pm

fuki wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:47 pm

Perhaps you are thinking of the mahasiddha Zappa who famously said in one of his dohas:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche

Minobu

Post by Minobu » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:07 pm

:good: :good:
dzogchungpa wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:45 pm
fuki wrote:

Perhaps you are thinking of the mahasiddha Zappa who famously said in one of his dohas:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:22 pm

Minobu wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:07 pm
dzogchungpa wrote:
fuki wrote:

Thanks, B!

PuerAzaelis

Post by PuerAzaelis » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:31 pm

dzogchungpa wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:22 pm
... B!
Staaahp ...

Last edited by PuerAzaelis on Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Generally, enjoyment of speech is the gateway to poor [results]. So it becomes the foundation for generating all negative emotional states. Jampel Pawo, The Certainty of the Diamond Mind

For posts from this user, see Karma Dondrup Tashi account.

dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:32 pm

PuerAzaelis wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:31 pm
dzogchungpa wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:22 pm
... B!
Staaahp ...

Dude, that was, like, autocorrect.

fuki

Post by fuki » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:33 pm

dzogchungpa wrote:
fuki wrote:

It was this one :smile:

“We can observe many varieties of suffering and at the same time recognize a common basis that applies to all beings. This common basis is omnipresent ignorance, and it expresses itself in a constant alternation between hope and fear.”

~Lama Gendun Rinpoche

Return to “News & Current Events”