Bumpa

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
tomfelt

Bumpa

Post by tomfelt »

Is plain water acceptable for filling a bumpa, or should it be more elaborate, like saffron water? also, how often do you change the water?
Virgo

Re: Bumpa

Post by Virgo »

Are you giving an empowerment?

Kevin
Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

I'm pretty sure it should be saffron water. Also pretty sure the deity vase should have bumzey in it as well. I don't have any definitive source for you, but that's what I've learned and how I practice based on my teachers' instructions.
Lhasa

Post by Lhasa »

What is bumzey?
dzoki

Post by dzoki »

Lhasa wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:51 amWhat is bumzey?
Bumdze (bum rdzas) is a mixture of ingredients (herbal and mineral) used for filling a vase representing a deity and its mandala.
Lhasa

Post by Lhasa »

dzoki wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:55 am
Bumdze (bum rdzas) is a mixture of ingredients (herbal and mineral) used for filling a vase representing a deity and its mandala.
Thank you. And the deity vase is different from the bumpa?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Lhasa wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:03 pm

There are two vases, typically. One is the activity vase, the contents of which are visualized as wrathful deities.

The other vase is the as mentioned above, the vase that represents the mandala. It contents are visualized as the deity, mandala, and celestial mansion. It is from the latter vase one receives the vase empowerment related to the creation stage.
Lhasa

Post by Lhasa »

Malcolm wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:38 pm

There are two vases, typically. One is the activity vase, the contents of which are visualized as wrathful deities.

The other vase is the as mentioned above, the vase that represents the mandala. It contents are visualized as the deity, mandala, and celestial mansion. It is from the latter vase one receives the vase empowerment related to the creation stage.
Garchen Rinpoche uses a bumpa with a deity card attached to it for the vase empowerment. If they use a second vase, it's not obvious. Unless it is the one they use to give purification water to the attendees. Thanks
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Lhasa wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:49 pm

Garchen Rinpoche uses a bumpa with a deity card attached to it for the vase empowerment. If they use a second vase, it's not obvious. Unless it is the one they use to give purification water to the attendees. Thanks
The activity vase is used in the empowerment preparations, you won't see it used much during the actual empowerment.
PuerAzaelis

Post by PuerAzaelis »

And if Grace Jones was receiving an empowerment she would say ...
Generally, enjoyment of speech is the gateway to poor [results]. So it becomes the foundation for generating all negative emotional states. Jampel Pawo, The Certainty of the Diamond Mind

For posts from this user, see Karma Dondrup Tashi account.
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Besides including saffron and bum-dze, the activity vase needs to be consecrated before use. (Loppon/Malcolm alluded to this.) Please get the relevant liturgy and visualization from your Teacher. Generally, the activity vase can be refilled five times before needing to start over. Also Bum-dze 25 is for the activity vase and Bum-dze 35 is for the empowerment vase. These should not be confused. Bum-dze 35 contains the same 25 ingredients as Bum-dze 25 but then also the five meats and five amrits.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Lhasa wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:49 pm

It almost always is that vase, yes. You'll notice it's also used to bless the "gektor" or preliminary torma at the very beginning of many empowerments, as well.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

PuerAzaelis wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:00 pm And if Grace Jones was receiving an empowerment she would say ...

Dude, I can't believe you went there ...
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
PuerAzaelis

Post by PuerAzaelis »

dzogchungpa wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:47 pm
PuerAzaelis wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:00 pm And if Grace Jones was receiving an empowerment she would say ...

Dude, I can't believe you went there ...
Sorry, sorry, I figure I am already bound for hell anyway ...

:)
Generally, enjoyment of speech is the gateway to poor [results]. So it becomes the foundation for generating all negative emotional states. Jampel Pawo, The Certainty of the Diamond Mind

For posts from this user, see Karma Dondrup Tashi account.
tomfelt

Post by tomfelt »

This is not for empowerment, just for my home shrine. My lama is not in town often and then very busy with lots of supplicants, so I feel awkward asking him about this--it seems rather superficial.

Dzoki, does one obtain bumzey from one's lama, or is there a recipe?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

tomfelt wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:45 pm This is not for empowerment, just for my home shrine. My lama is not in town often and then very busy with lots of supplicants, so I feel awkward asking him about this--it seems rather superficial.

Dzoki, does one obtain bumzey from one's lama, or is there a recipe?
You don't need a Bumpa for your home shrine, unless a lama is coming to bless your house.
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Tom, Bum-dze can be purchased from www.potalagate.com run by Lama Jigme in Oregon.

I differ in opinion with Loppon about having a bumpa at home. This is a good part of your shrine, although not indispensable. Perhaps Loppon was thinking that one needs to know how to consecrate the bumpa, not just put bum-dze in it. Consecrating it is best, but you can also just use pure water. For instance, if you don't have a bumpa, you can just use a glass of water with a flower stalk or even just a stalk of greenery in it. Lacking even a flower or a stalk of greenery, you can use a spoon. The idea/practice of purifying one's offerings with water is a good one, Lama or "layperson."

For instance, when you say RAM, you can wave a stick of lit incense over your offerings, the incense symbolizing fire burning away impurities. Then you can wave a peacock feather/s and/or kusha grass over your offerings, blowing away the ashes of impurity when you say YAM, and finally, when you say KHAM, you can sprinkle your offerings with water. Then OM, AH, HUNG etc.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa »

Malcolm wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:46 pm You don't need a Bumpa for your home shrine, unless a lama is coming to bless your house.

True, no doubt, for most people, but you could be doing a practice with vase generation, when you should really have one. But by the time you get to that stage, you would probably have learnt what you need to know about it.
All best wishes

"The profundity of your devotion to your lama is not measured by your ability to turn a blind eye."
Ramblings: lunidharma.blogspot.com
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Lingpupa wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:35 am
Malcolm wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:46 pm You don't need a Bumpa for your home shrine, unless a lama is coming to bless your house.

True, no doubt, for most people, but you could be doing a practice with vase generation, when you should really have one. But by the time you get to that stage, you would probably have learnt what you need to know about it.
If you are doing practices that involve vase generation, you basically are a lama.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Malcolm wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:57 pm
Lingpupa wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:35 am

If you are doing practices that involve vase generation, you basically are a lama.

I've noted that in many Tibetan households you'll find a bumpa on the shrine, which laypeople use for "Chab" (blessing the daily shrine offerings in the morning). Of course, if one understands the actual procedure for such things, one should know the Vase Generation practice, including the blessing and visualization for the Activity Vase prior to blessing offerings, etc. I suppose it's a cultural thing, and many who have vases don't actually do the vase generation, but I can't know in every specific case. Certainly, in most Sarma Drupchos, the BumKye phases are done by all practitioners, Lamas and disciples both--but the Loppon holds the ZungTak. And of course the ultimate reason for the BumKye is to bestow empowerment, whether on others, or on oneself. Whether one is "allowed" to do Dak Zhuk, but not empower others, would be a more appropriate dividing line between "lamas" and Sadhakas, I think.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”