Preparation for an Empowerment

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Tenma

Preparation for an Empowerment

Post by Tenma »

Okay, so I found out that my refuge lama is giving an empowerment to Saraswati in June( :woohoo: )
However, I would like to ask, how does one prepare for an empowerment such as this?
Plus, since I have a male body(yes, I get the idea that my profile name is female, but I only used it as an honor to Palden Lhamo's retinue of the 12 Tenma), how on earth am I to visualize myself as a female?
All males who have taken the empowerment of a female deity, could you please give advice?
Lobsang Chojor

Re: Preparation for an Empowerment

Post by Lobsang Chojor »

I've not taken an empowerment as a female deity, but for any visualisation just follow the guidance of the lama, during the empowerment they will describe it all to you.
"Morality does not become pure unless darkness is dispelled by the light of wisdom"
  • Aryasura, Paramitasamasa 6.5
ༀ་ཨ་ར་པ་ཙ་ན་དྷཱི༔ Oṃ A Ra Pa Ca Na Dhīḥ
Motova

Post by Motova »

Know your bladder and bowels. :toilet:
To become a rain man one must master the ten virtues and sciences.
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

Motova wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:58 pm Know your bladder and bowels. :toilet:
That's what I'm trying to solve. How does it feel to have extra parts and remove certain parts?
Josef

Post by Josef »

Tenma wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:27 am Okay, so I found out that my refuge lama is giving an empowerment to Saraswati in June( :woohoo: )
However, I would like to ask, how does one prepare for an empowerment such as this?
Plus, since I have a male body(yes, I get the idea that my profile name is female, but I only used it as an honor to Palden Lhamo's retinue of the 12 Tenma), how on earth am I to visualize myself as a female?
All males who have taken the empowerment of a female deity, could you please give advice?
Many males take female yidams and females take male. Their ultimate state is beyond gender or sex.
It sounds like some visualizing as a female deity will be beneficial for you.
You will get there.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Tenma wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:27 am Okay, so I found out that my refuge lama is giving an empowerment to Saraswati in June( :woohoo: )

May I ask which Lama and empowerment you referring to?

Tenma wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:27 am Plus, since I have a male body(yes, I get the idea that my profile name is female, but I only used it as an honor to Palden Lhamo's retinue of the 12 Tenma), how on earth am I to visualize myself as a female?

You just keep trying and eventually you'll get used to it. I don't think it's any harder than visualizing yourself with wings or 3 heads or whatever. I personally think there's a lot of benefit in working with one's attachment to one's sex (or is it gender?) in this way.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor »

Tenma wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:19 pm
That's what I'm trying to solve. How does it feel to have extra parts and remove certain parts?
I think Motova was joking about needing the toilet during the empowerment, but on a more serious note don't worry about it those kind of things they fall away, it's similar to visualising yourself as blue or with many arms, you just need to have the beginning of an understanding of emptiness.
"Morality does not become pure unless darkness is dispelled by the light of wisdom"
  • Aryasura, Paramitasamasa 6.5
ༀ་ཨ་ར་པ་ཙ་ན་དྷཱི༔ Oṃ A Ra Pa Ca Na Dhīḥ
Motova

Post by Motova »

Lobsang Chojor wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:54 pm
I think Motova was joking about needing the toilet during the empowerment...
It's not a joke.

It's really shitty when you're in the middle of a teaching or empowerment and you feel like you are going to pee or shit your pants.
Last edited by Motova on Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pero

Post by Pero »

Lobsang Chojor wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:54 pm
I think Motova was joking about needing the toilet during the empowerment, but on a more serious note don't worry about it those kind of things they fall away, it's similar to visualising yourself as blue or with many arms, you just need to have the beginning of an understanding of emptiness.
Hey, taking care of pee pee and stuff before the empowerment is no joke. :D
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Motova

Post by Motova »

Pero wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:10 pm
Next empowerment I take I'll be sure to prepare with laxatives and kegels.

Also I'll probably measure my bladder capacity before, and measure the drink quantities during.
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

dzogchungpa wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:52 pm

May I ask which Lama and empowerment you referring to?

Tenma wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:27 am Plus, since I have a male body(yes, I get the idea that my profile name is female, but I only used it as an honor to Palden Lhamo's retinue of the 12 Tenma), how on earth am I to visualize myself as a female?

You just keep trying and eventually you'll get used to it. I don't think it's any harder than visualizing yourself with wings or 3 heads or whatever. I personally think there's a lot of benefit in working with one's attachment to one's sex (or is it gender?) in this way.
Lama Kunga Thartse Rinpoche. That's what the Ewam Choden subscription mail said on when the empowerment will be.
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

Motova wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:16 pm

Also I'll probably measure my bladder capacity before, and measure the drink quantities during.
Don't they provide the empowerment water for body, speech, and mind? What use is the water that you bring? Also, aren't you supposed to fast BEFORE an empowerment?
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

Josef wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:35 pm
Many males take female yidams and females take male. Their ultimate state is beyond gender or sex.
It sounds like some visualizing as a female deity will be beneficial for you.
You will get there.
Are these the case because homosexuality isn't "approved?" Just wondering.
Pero

Post by Pero »

LOL. I try to avoid eating and drinking before teachings. Drink sparringly during if necessary.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
florin

Post by florin »

Pero wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:24 pm

LOL. I try to avoid eating and drinking before teachings.
Don't go drunk to an empowerment
Drink sparringly during if necessary.
Like what ? One can ? Two cans ...?
yosomolo

Post by yosomolo »

1. Bring a notebook and a pen :rules:
2. Use drawings
3. Voice Recorder
4. Find out if there are commentaries after the empowerment
5. When the lama is giving the mantra pronouciation, MAKE SURE YOU SAY IT THE SAME WAY

That's all.

If you wanna make sure you don't go to the loo during the empowerment, wear diapers :toilet:

Or just use a plastic bottle and strap it to your member, front and back :twothumbsup:

Hope that helps
Pero

Post by Pero »

florin wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:34 pm

Little sips (of water). :)
yosomolo wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:39 pm 2. Use drawings
What do you draw?
3. Voice Recorder
Should ask for permission first, not everyone (or everything) necessarily allows this.
Or just use a plastic bottle and strap it to your member, front and back :twothumbsup:
I do wonder what would happen if you just peed in a bottle right next to everyone. :shrug: :D
- Shabkar
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

Pero wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:51 pm
florin wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:34 pm
Little sips (of water). :)
yosomolo wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:39 pm 2. Use drawings
What do you draw?
3. Voice Recorder
Should ask for permission first, not everyone (or everything) necessarily allows this.
I do wonder what would happen if you just peed in a bottle right next to everyone. :shrug: :D
Yeah, number 3 is banned as it is to keep all teachings secret.
Sonam Wangchug

Post by Sonam Wangchug »

Things are much more flexible than they appear.
"To have confidence in the teacher is the ultimate refuge." -Rigzin Jigme Lingpa
Motova

Post by Motova »

Pero wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:51 pm
I wonder if my Lamas would mind if I wore a urinary bag to teachings and empowerments....

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”