Nyingma practices in Sarma lineages?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
udyan

Nyingma practices in Sarma lineages?

Post by udyan »

I want to find out which Sarma schools/sub-branches or particular teachers are known to incorporate Nyingma teachings ?
heart

Re: Nyingma practices in Sarma lineages?

Post by heart »

udyan wrote:I want to find out which Sarma schools/sub-branches or particular teachers are known to incorporate Nyingma teachings ?
It seems like it is very widespread to use Nyingma practices and prayers in most Sarma schools. In the Kagyu, that I have some experience of, this is certainly true. All the centers established by Kalu Rinpoche did a green Tara practice every morning. When I started practicing in the Chokling Tersar tradition I discovered that this Tara practice was a Terma by Chokgyur Lingpa. So, sometimes people don't even know it is Nyingma teachings they practice.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

udyan wrote:I want to find out which Sarma schools/sub-branches or particular teachers are known to incorporate Nyingma teachings ?

All of them.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

It is said that Marpa did not fail to recite the Tsik Dun Sol Deb (7 Line Prayer to Guru Rinpoche) daily.

The protector of the Karmapas, Dorje Bernakchen, which is the main afternoon protector practice in Kamstang monasteries, comes from terma tradition, as do many of the other protectors. As "Heart" notes, the morning Tara puja done by many Kagyu centers is from Chogling Tersar. In addition, Chogling's Sangtik Phurba is an important practice. Konchok Chidu, a terma from Jatson Nyingpo, is prevalent. We do Riwo Sangcho, a ter of Lhatsun Namkha Jigme's. Also, Sangtik Dorsem. KarLing Shitro is an important practice.....And Yongay Mingyur Dorje's termas--especially Pakshi LaDrup, but also Tabshe KyeJor, Yongay Drollo, Pema Benzra--are a part of the Karma Kagyu tradition. Many of Namcho Mingyur Dorje's termas are taught, too--Medicine Buddha and Amitabha sadhanas come from Namcho. There's a Manjusri Simhandanda w/ Sarwasvati practice from Karma Chagmed that's from Namcho as well, I think...

In short, the Karma Kagyu definitely practices quite a bit of "Nyingma" practice these days. These are just the mainstream practices--there's also Nyingthik lineages--including one from Karmapa himself, and a host of other "Nyingma" practices that various Karma Kagyu Lamas have engaged in over the centuries.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

conebeckham wrote:It is said that Marpa did not fail to recite the Tsik Dun Sol Deb (7 Line Prayer to Guru Rinpoche) daily.

That's funny, since it had not been revealed yet when Marpa was alive.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

HA HAHAHAHA HAAA!

That is funny. Kagyu Revisionism at play, I suppose. :juggling:

I'll have to go find where I heard that....to be fair, I may have mistaken the content--i.e., the claim may have been made that Marpa prayed to GR daily, and I possibly assumed it was Tsik Dun Sol Deb.

I'll see what I can find....

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
udyan

Post by udyan »

conebeckham wrote:It is said that Marpa did not fail to recite the Tsik Dun Sol Deb (7 Line Prayer to Guru Rinpoche) daily.

The protector of the Karmapas, Dorje Bernakchen, which is the main afternoon protector practice in Kamstang monasteries, comes from terma tradition, as do many of the other protectors. As "Heart" notes, the morning Tara puja done by many Kagyu centers is from Chogling Tersar. In addition, Chogling's Sangtik Phurba is an important practice. Konchok Chidu, a terma from Jatson Nyingpo, is prevalent. We do Riwo Sangcho, a ter of Lhatsun Namkha Jigme's. Also, Sangtik Dorsem. KarLing Shitro is an important practice.....And Yongay Mingyur Dorje's termas--especially Pakshi LaDrup, but also Tabshe KyeJor, Yongay Drollo, Pema Benzra--are a part of the Karma Kagyu tradition. Many of Namcho Mingyur Dorje's termas are taught, too--Medicine Buddha and Amitabha sadhanas come from Namcho. There's a Manjusri Simhandanda w/ Sarwasvati practice from Karma Chagmed that's from Namcho as well, I think...

In short, the Karma Kagyu definitely practices quite a bit of "Nyingma" practice these days. These are just the mainstream practices--there's also Nyingthik lineages--including one from Karmapa himself, and a host of other "Nyingma" practices that various Karma Kagyu Lamas have engaged in over the centuries.
Thank you for the information, I am searching the internet as we speak for the names that you mentioned. So Karma Chagme was able to bring Namcho teachings to Karma Kagyu and its still being used, very interesting. Did he have his own teachings as well that he brought to Karma Kagyu or other lineages, or is he mostly known for Namcho? Browsing through the internet I noticed Neydo foundation - are they considered both Kagyu and Nyingma or are they considered subbranch of Karma Kagyu? Also I was wondering if Karma Kagyu include Karma Chagme or tertons on the refuge tree?
heart

Post by heart »

udyan wrote:

Thank you for the information, I am searching the internet as we speak for the names that you mentioned. So Karma Chagme was able to bring Namcho teachings to Karma Kagyu and its still being used, very interesting. Did he have his own teachings as well that he brought to Karma Kagyu or other lineages, or is he mostly known for Namcho? Browsing through the internet I noticed Neydo foundation - are they considered both Kagyu and Nyingma or are they considered subbranch of Karma Kagyu? Also I was wondering if Karma Kagyu include Karma Chagme or tertons on the refuge tree?
These are Nyingma teachings used in the Karma Kagyu and other lineages. They are considered Nyingma. it is the same with the Kadampa teachings, all lineages use them.

/magnus
Last edited by heart on Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

The main Karma Kagyu "Refuge Tree" everyone is most used to seeing relates to the core path of Mahamudra and Six Yogas, so it's composed of the Lamas and deities who relate to those paths, mainly. There are a few "tertons"--Third Karmapa Rangjung Dorje amongst them--but Karma Chagme is usually not included on the tree. In many renditions, Lamas from "other lineages" are represented on cloudbanks, etc., in the sky around the tree....Longchenpa, for instance, is often found there, etc.

I believe Karma Chagme practiced Karma Kagyu "specialized" practices, but he is most well-known for being the "Scribe," or maybe an "owner," of some of Namcho Mingyur Dorje's Terma discoveries....can't recall the details exactly. The Namcho lineage and practices are the backbone of the Nyingma Palyul tradition, though, and you should check out the book about that lineage for more information. Interestingly, as Karma Kagyu "inherited" or "incorporated" some of the Namcho practices, so, too, did Palyul "inherit" some "Mahamudra" lineage, though I seem to recall it came from a different Dakpo Kagyu lineage, and not from the Karma Kagyu. Again, it's been a while since I've studied any of this, so get yourself a copy of "A Garland of Wishfullfilling Trees" if you want to know more about the Palyul and Namcho....

I don't know anything about the Nyedo Foundation.

conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Funny, my copy of Mahamudra and Related Instructions arrived yesterday, after I posted.....and the forward mentions pretty much the same practices, in the same order, as my post!

conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

HH The Dalai Lama's monastery, Namgyal Monastery, performs annual Drupcho of Lerab Lingpa's Yang Sang Pudri, which is a Nyingma terma of Vajrakilaya.

And the Gelukpas practice Kyergangpa's Secret Hayagriva, which is terma-related, and Nyingma, for sure.

And the Sakyas maintain a pure, unbroken Kama lineage of Vajrakilaya--this could possibly be said to be the most "Nyingma" (ancient) of all!

Would be interested to know more about what Nyingma traditions are incorporated into Sarma lineages other than the Karma Kagyu, myself......Drikung have Yangzab, for example. Anyone?

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Sangye Menla and Riwo Sang Chod are two "Nyingma" practices which come immediately to mind that we do regularly in the Karma Kagyu.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
dzoki

Post by dzoki »

In Rumtek monastrey Sampa Lhundrub used to be recited, also Chogyur Lingpa´s Avalokiteshvara Khorwa Tongdrug and Sangthig Phurba of Chogyur Lingpa. In Drugpa Kagyu, Pema Karpo was a terton, also Konchog Chidu is practiced by many Drugpas. Drikung has it´s own termas, apart from Yangzab cycle, there is a terma on Phowa and Achi Drolma, several tertons appeared in Drikung lineage in the course of its history. Drikung also has close ties with Longchen Nyingthig. There is one current master in Drikung Kagyu, who is a living terton, his name is Garnor Rinpoche. I don´t know much about Taglung Kagyu, but they surely do nyingma practices too. Baram Kagyu have termas of Terchen Barwa Dorje, I bet they also do some practices from Chogyur Lingpa´s terma. I don´t know about Sakya, I heard that LN was popular among some Sakyapa´s, also one of the Sakya Tridzins was a teron. What about Jonang?
dzoki

Post by dzoki »

conebeckham wrote:The protector of the Karmapas, Dorje Bernakchen, which is the main afternoon protector practice in Kamstang monasteries, comes from terma tradition, as do many of the other protectors.
I heard that Bernagchen, that is specificaly Bernachen yab yum, also has/had a kama lineage. Will post more if I find where I read that. Karma Pakshi received it from one master who had it from the long lineage going back to Padmasambhava.
heart

Post by heart »

dzoki wrote:
conebeckham wrote:The protector of the Karmapas, Dorje Bernakchen, which is the main afternoon protector practice in Kamstang monasteries, comes from terma tradition, as do many of the other protectors.
I heard that Bernagchen, that is specificaly Bernachen yab yum, also has/had a kama lineage. Will post more if I find where I read that. Karma Pakshi received it from one master who had it from the long lineage going back to Padmasambhava.
Very interesting, never heard this before. Please let us know what you find out.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

Palzang Jangchub

Post by Palzang Jangchub »

From what I've seen, the Mahamudra influence in the Palyul Nyingma lineage is due to their partial absorption [some of the practices of] the now institutionally defunct Martsang Kagyu --- the first of the younger lineages descended from Phagmodrupa's disciples.

The Martsang (or sometimes Marpa) Kagyu lineage was founded by Chöjé Marpa Sherab Yeshe as a fusion of the Kadampa and Kagyu schools, with the Lamdre of Sakya mixed in.

That said, it seems there has been some effort put forth in the UK in the last few years to revive and/or reestablish the Martsang Kagyu as an institution once again.

http://www.buddhistmeditation.org.uk/pa ... ineage.php

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

I hear the Gelugpas practice the Mani Kabum terma, is this not true?
dzinamitra

Post by dzinamitra »

dzoki wrote:
Mahakala Bernakchen (yabyum or not) is the main protector of Karma Kagyu since the second Gyalwa Karmapa, Karmapakshi. He received it from terma transmission from his own father who was a Nyingma master who was named Gyawang Tshurthsa Trangta.
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

The Khon lineage of Vajrakilaya dates directly back to Guru Padmasambhava.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”