Obstacle years

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
philji

Obstacle years

Post by philji »

When do obstacle years occur? Is it every 12 th year..i.e. if i am year of the dog sign they will arise in that year..or is it when the 12/24/36 th year etc ends and i enter 13/25/37 th year etc.
Malcolm

Re: Obstacle years

Post by Malcolm »

philji wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:24 pm When do obstacle years occur? Is it every 12 th year..i.e. if i am year of the dog sign they will arise in that year..or is it when the 12/24/36 th year etc ends and i enter 13/25/37 th year etc.
If you are a dog, then the next year is an obstacle year.
philji

Post by philji »

Thanks.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Shiiiit... The past twenty years have been obstacle years for me, you get it light with just one! :)
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Malcolm wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:42 pm
philji wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:24 pm When do obstacle years occur? Is it every 12 th year..i.e. if i am year of the dog sign they will arise in that year..or is it when the 12/24/36 th year etc ends and i enter 13/25/37 th year etc.
So then, if one were born late in the centipede year, would the entire centipede year be the obstacle year or is it the year from ones birthday? Since people usually didn't know their birthday, is the year following the season that one was born in the obstacle year or is it considered to be the astrological year?

Thanks!

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
AilurusFulgens

Post by AilurusFulgens »

kirtu wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:56 pm
So then, if one were born late in the centipede year, would the entire centipede year be the obstacle year or is it the year from ones birthday? Since people usually didn't know their birthday, is the year following the season that one was born in the obstacle year or is it considered to be the astrological year?

Thanks!

Kirt
I do not want to interrupt your discussion, but does there really exist something like a centipede year in the Tibetan astrology/calendar?

If so, then Kirt you have my deepest sympathy. I mean, I cannot imagine how you manage the footwear.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Thanks!

Kirt
It does not matter when in the centipede year you were born, if you were born the day before the centipede year becomes the millipede year, you are still a centipede and it is still your obstacle year from new years onward.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Malcolm wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:21 pm

Thanks!

Kirt
It does not matter when in the centipede year you were born, if you were born the day before the centipede year becomes the millipede year, you are still a centipede and it is still your obstacle year from new years onward.
So the year after your birth year is an obstacle year?
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Thanks!

Kirt
Well what if nothing particullarly challenging happens in the centipede year?

Kirt
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Grigoris wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:34 pm

Thanks!

Kirt
So the year after your birth year is an obstacle year?

No, if you were born in a dog year, the dog year is your obstacle year. In Tibetan astrology, you are 1 year old the day you are born. Let's say you were born on the last day of this year, the fire bird year. On the first day of the following year, the earth dog year, you would be 2. Your thirteenth year would be the next bird year, that would be your obstacle year. Your 7-off side year would be the next rabbit year, which is the enemy of bird, another obstacle year. There are generally two obstacle years per 12 year cycle, your rang lo, or the animal year of your birth and the seventh year from that birth year.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

kirtu wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:36 pm

Thanks!

Kirt

Kirt
That is just fine. Not everyone has the same cycle of elements, mewas, parkha and so on. And, karma trumps astrology.
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

one of my teachers just told me the effects of the obstacle year can sometimes be felt six months in advance if it's going to be a really bad year.

also, there are practices for turning back these negative conditions, at least in part.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

pemachophel wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:43 pm one of my teachers just told me the effects of the obstacle year can sometimes be felt six months in advance if it's going to be a really bad year.

also, there are practices for turning back these negative conditions, at least in part.
In general, for men the year before is also an obstacle year, for women, the year after.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Malcolm wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:38 pm ... Your 7-off side year would be the next rabbit year, which is the enemy of bird, another obstacle year. There are generally two obstacle years per 12 year cycle, your rang lo, or the animal year of your birth and the seventh year from that birth year.
WHAT?? There's another obstacle year? It's the 7nth year from the birth year in the cycle?
Malcolm wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:39 pm
kirtu wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:36 pm

Kirt
That is just fine. Not everyone has the same cycle of elements, mewas, parkha and so on. And, karma trumps astrology.
Mewas, parkha ? Are the elements other than the five elements (so are they some collection of something else or are they actually the five elements affected by time, location and other factors)?

Thanks!

Kirt
Last edited by kirtu on Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Malcolm wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:45 pm
pemachophel wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:43 pm one of my teachers just told me the effects of the obstacle year can sometimes be felt six months in advance if it's going to be a really bad year.

In general, for men the year before is also an obstacle year, for women, the year after.
So there's actually at least a third obstacle year. Does the before -after male/female rule also apply to the 7nth year?

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

pemachophel wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:43 pm also, there are practices for turning back these negative conditions, at least in part.
Such as? Does sang offering cover it?

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
philji

Post by philji »

Is it better to focus on long life practices or obstacle removing practices in the obstacle year... of course Sangchod is also a given.
cyril

Post by cyril »

kirtu wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:50 pm
pemachophel wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:43 pm also, there are practices for turning back these negative conditions, at least in part.
Such as? Does sang offering cover it?

Kirt
If you received transmission from Chogyal Namkhai Norbu, you might want to check "The four methods of development" book.
"You have to make the good out of the bad because that is all you have got to make it out of."
- Robert Penn Warren -
KathyLauren

Post by KathyLauren »

How is the concept of "obstacle years" helpful? Obstacles arise when they arise, regardless of the calendar. Deal with them as they arise. Deal with them before they arise if you can. What has the calendar got to do with it?

Om mani padme hum
Kathy
cyril

Post by cyril »

KathyLauren wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:24 pm How is the concept of "obstacle years" helpful? Obstacles arise when they arise, regardless of the calendar. Deal with them as they arise. Deal with them before they arise if you can. What has the calendar got to do with it?

Om mani padme hum
Kathy
Obstacles arise indeed due to the karma accumulated but they can only manifest when there are secondary causes which allow them to. Obstacle years imply that there is conflict between the elements of life, body, capacity and fortune of the year of birth and the corresponding elements of the obstacle year. Hence, the secondary causes are set for the obstacles to manifest. At least, thats my understanding...
"You have to make the good out of the bad because that is all you have got to make it out of."
- Robert Penn Warren -

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”