Sexuality, Marriage, Promiscuity and the Dharma

A forum for discussion of Buddhist ethics.
DGA
Former staff member

Re: Sexuality, Marriage, Promiscuity and the Dharma

Post by DGA »

Coëmgenu wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:33 am
The Cicada wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:31 am Sure, but of course Pure Land Buddhism is more like Abrahamic traditions in many respects than Buddhism as clarified by Nichiren, though Pure Landers may be more tolerant than we are if lacking our sense of urgency. This sense of urgency seems to remind some individuals of the Abrahamic religions, but this is due to their own hang ups.
I think it depends on what kind of Pure Land on terms of how "urgent" their practice will seem? Some are very radical in their mappō buddhology (dharmology?), I daresay more radical than Nichiren Buddhism, arguing that any significant Buddhic attainment of any sort is impossible in this time. Only the cultivation of faith & aspiration is possible, absolutely nothing else.
I think you'll find an imperative toward urgency in every Dharma tradition. An imperative toward practicing like someone whose hair is caught on fire (as the Zen folk say) is written directly into the Sutras. Surely our friendly Cicada has read Chapter 23 of the Lotus Sutra on that point.

I've met Nichiren Buddhists who practice very, very seriously, knowing very well that there's no time to waste. That's urgency, and that's good.

Same for Zen practitioners.

And Pure Landers.

And Tendai people. (kaihogyo anyone?)

And Vajrayana people, of course...

This is just basic Mahayana practice.
Stefos

Post by Stefos »

Grigoris wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:07 am
Stefos wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:17 amAnd now, my friend, perhaps you understand why I've always said "modern Buddhism" and I've raised such a "fuss" about what I perceive is happening in Buddhadharma today...
So you believe that the only proper Buddhist approach is your approach. You want some sort of centralised dogmatism and not intelligent and informed discussion about how things fit into a Buddhist framework. You don't want "modern Buddhism" you want "catholic Buddhism", with a central and infallible "Buddhist pope" dictating what is or is not Buddhism. You want a Buddhism that is an institution, rather than a journey.
For me, A fundamental RE-understanding what the Buddha came to do and what he actually taught FIRST is the foundation.
And who's "first" is the actual first?
Beyond that, these discussions about Mahayana, Vajrayana, etc. along with peoples personal feelings about SMP need to be stopped.
And you are going to stop them? Not around here you are not.
Opinions matter little if the actual Buddhadharma is not being nailed down insofar as fundamentals are concerned according to the most ancient sutras available FIRST then we can discuss Mahayana, Vajrayana, etc.
The most ancient? The oldest physically existing Mahayana text is as old as the oldest physically existing Theravada text. What does that tell you?
...from the Theravada and Gandharan texts along with the Chinese texts...
Who died and made you the authority around here regarding text validity? This is "A Buddhist discussion forum on Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism", that's what the title at the top of the page says. If you don't like it...
1. If we can't define WHAT Lord Buddha Shakyamuni actually taught my friend.....this whole forum is a waste of time....FACT not fiction
The "institution" is the Sangha and Lord Buddha Shakyamuni said to take to his teachings after his death.....Right? or Wrong?

The journey is that which the above "institution" should have been teaching all along......There is a LOT of flexibility there which covers things.

I am advocating an understanding about Buddhadharma which places the first teachings of the LBS first...
There were other ancient schools besides the Theras which are now extinct......Do they not matter because they are extinct?
They existed concurrently with the Theras ancestor sect.

2. Insofar as me "stopping" them.....I was speaking metaphorically as it seems to me a fundamental, basic understanding of what proper sexual behavior is is missing in this thread EN TOTO.

3. No one ever made me any authority on any text
I am simply stating that IF Mahayana & Vajrayana are built on what the Lord Buddha FIRST taught.......Find out what he FIRST taught.

I'm not interested in what the current sects say in regards to sexuality unless we first what LBS taught as foundational...

Your statement that the oldest Theravada text and old Mahayana texts were concurrent time wise doesn't answer what the Tathagata taught the ancient Sangha, not Greg & Steve's Dharmic experience(s) today...it merely tells me that those texts are concurrent not necessarily the first complete impartation to the Sangha.

So, Who says what the Lord Buddha taught first then? The most ancient schools/sects existed right after the death of Lord Buddha.
In history it's called the 18 or 24 school period.....If you want to push the Theravada/Mahayana issue, we can push it back to that time period and then discuss.

4. Truly in matters of Buddhadharma, what the opinions of a person are really irrelevant. Opinions are for "My favorite fruit is ___ and why"
It's not your opinion or mine that matter first.........our opinions come after we understand Buddhadharma first.

Opinions are common to everyone my friend...........They are like elbows....Very, extremely common.

Stay cool

:anjali:
Stefos
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

Stefos,

This is the forum for you: https://dhammawheel.com/

Please note that this forum, that of Dharma Wheel, is a forum for Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. So it's expected that one discusses things here from the point of view of Mahayana and/or Vajrayana, depending on sub-forum or topic etc.
Fu Ri Shin

Post by Fu Ri Shin »

Grigoris wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:42 pmNot in the lineage I am currently practicing in...
May I ask about the nature of that beautiful thangka?
Know that in a remote place in a cloud-covered valley
There is still a sacred pine that passes through the chill of ages.

— Taiso Josai Daishi
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

@Stefos - I think what needs to be spelled out, is that in respect of sexuality, marriage and gender, traditionalist/conservative views and modern/liberal views are, nowadays, incommensurable.

The second point is, this is an Internet forum, and the internet audience generally favours a modern/liberal view. Trying to argue for a traditionalist/conservative P.O.V. on an internet forum is like arguing against alcohol in a pub, if you forgive my being so blunt.

I, too, tend towards a traditional/conservative point of view, and on the few occasions that I have advocated such a perspective on this forum, I have generally been roasted for it. Likewise in my social circles. Nowadays I have learned to keep my views on such issues to myself.

Just my two cents. :smile:
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Norwegian wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:52 am Stefos,

Please note that this forum, that of Dharma Wheel, is a forum for Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. So it's expected that one discusses things here from the point of view of Mahayana and/or Vajrayana, depending on sub-forum or topic etc.
Quoting Norweigans post as a reminder, if people want to have a discussion using Pali sources as definitive above Mahayana texts and sources , it is our long standing policy that this is not the place for it.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Stefos

Post by Stefos »

Hello and Thank you,

No...this is the forum for me because I'm trying to ascertain:

1. The early Buddhist view/Mahayana view THEN

2. The Vajrayana view

It's not an issue of "Superior/Inferior" Vehicle or trying to undercut the Mahayana/Vajrayana by any means but it's about foundation.

I don't understand why a consensus on "The Early Buddhist view" isn't nailed down here?

That should be the foundation of all Mahayana schools.........Shouldn't it? Why isn't it?

Grigoris, one of our moderators, stated that Thera & Mahayana texts existed at the same time a few posts prior.
They must have discussed SMP and the Dharma.

Incidentally, this thread was about never about sects.

Stefos
Last edited by Stefos on Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:49 am, edited 4 times in total.
Stefos

Post by Stefos »

Wayfarer wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:57 am @Stefos - I think what needs to be spelled out, is that in respect of sexuality, marriage and gender, traditionalist/conservative views and modern/liberal views are, nowadays, incommensurable.

The second point is, this is an Internet forum, and the internet audience generally favours a modern/liberal view. Trying to argue for a traditionalist/conservative P.O.V. on an internet forum is like arguing against alcohol in a pub, if you forgive my being so blunt.

I, too, tend towards a traditional/conservative point of view, and on the few occasions that I have advocated such a perspective on this forum, I have generally been roasted for it. Likewise in my social circles. Nowadays I have learned to keep my views on such issues to myself.

Hi and thanks for posting,

So am I to believe that Lord Buddha's Dharma, which he taught to his disciples/students is irrelevant here in this Mahayana & Vajrayana forum?

The Noble 8 fold path is part of the Mahayana & Vajrayana.
NO sect or yana supercedes the Noble 8 fold path according to Lord Buddha's first intention!!!!

Stefos

P.S. I have received Direct, Symbolic and Oral transmission into the state of Dzogchen and have received Pointing out instructions on the Ganges Mahamudra into the state of Mahamudra and am currently doing Ngondro in a Kagyu lineage!!!!!!! LOL..it's true! I've also received lung and Trilung on many various teachings: 21 praises of Tara, Jnanadhakkhini, Kalachakra, and Chod to name a few
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Stefos wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:29 am
Wayfarer wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:57 am @Stefos - I think what needs to be spelled out, is that in respect of sexuality, marriage and gender, traditionalist/conservative views and modern/liberal views are, nowadays, incommensurable.

So am I to believe that Lord Buddha's Dharma, which he taught to his disciples/students is irrelevant here in this Mahayana & Vajrayana forum?

NO sect or yana supercedes the Noble 8 fold path according to Lord Buddha's first intention!!!!

Stefos

P.S. I have received Direct, Symbolic and Oral transmission into the state of Dzogchen and have received Pointing out instructions on the Ganges Mahamudra into the state of Mahamudra and am currently doing Ngondro in a Kagyu lineage!!!!!!! LOL..it's true! I've also received lung and Trilung on many various teachings: 21 praises of Tara, Jnanadhakkhini, Kalachakra, and Chod to name a few
And how exactly is the thread related to the Eight Fold Path so far?

You've been doing a bit of soapboxing and making demand of others in this thread, how about now you explain what point it is YOU are trying to make.

-Khunu Lama
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Stefos wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:41 am1. If we can't define WHAT Lord Buddha Shakyamuni actually taught my friend.....this whole forum is a waste of time....FACT not fiction
We cannot define what the Buddha said because he said it 2500 years ago in a language which is no longer spoken and it was handed down orally.

What we can do is define teachings as Dharma or dharma on the basis of whether they satisfy the Four Dharma Seals.
The "institution" is the Sangha and Lord Buddha Shakyamuni said to take to his teachings after his death.....Right? or Wrong?
Which Sangha? It is defined in many different ways.
I am advocating an understanding about Buddhadharma which places the first teachings of the LBS first...
There were other ancient schools besides the Theras which are now extinct......Do they not matter because they are extinct?
They existed concurrently with the Theras ancestor sect.
Your mistaken initial premise is the source of your mistaken conclusions.
2. Insofar as me "stopping" them.....I was speaking metaphorically as it seems to me a fundamental, basic understanding of what proper sexual behavior is is missing in this thread EN TOTO.
It is, and always has been, a work in progress. The existing teachings range from vague (especially those of the Pali Canon) to overly detailed. The truth obviously lies somewhere in between.
I am simply stating that IF Mahayana & Vajrayana are built on what the Lord Buddha FIRST taught.......
Talking about mistaken premises... The Vajrayana and Mahayana view is that the Sutra and Tantra were taught directly by the Buddha. Given this is a Mahayana and Vajrayana forum, you will find it is the dominant view.
I'm not interested in what the current sects say in regards to sexuality unless we first what LBS taught as foundational...
What is LBS?
Your statement that the oldest Theravada text and old Mahayana texts were concurrent time wise doesn't answer what the Tathagata taught the ancient Sangha, not Greg & Steve's Dharmic experience(s) today...it merely tells me that those texts are concurrent not necessarily the first complete impartation to the Sangha.
Well, you didn't have the karma to be around then, so you are just going to have to make do with what has been passed down to us now.
So, Who says what the Lord Buddha taught first then?
Nobody can.
4. Truly in matters of Buddhadharma, what the opinions of a person are really irrelevant.
Opinions is all we have since we do not have the karma to be present during a Buddha's teaching. Better luck next time.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Fu Ri Shin wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:53 am
Grigoris wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:42 pmNot in the lineage I am currently practicing in...
May I ask about the nature of that beautiful thangka?
It is the Dudjom Lineage refuge tree.
http://www.nyingma.com/ogyan-cho-khor-ling/lineage.htm
http://www.rigpawiki.org/index.php?title=Dudjom_Tersar
http://www.rigpawiki.org/index.php?title=Dudjom_Tersar
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Stefos wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:29 am

Stefos

Yes you can believe that Shakyamunis teaching as interpreted by the Theravada is not relevant to many Vajrayana practitioners.
I have received instruction from a number of Vajrayana teachers and none of them took the basis of their teaching from any aspect of the Theravada.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

Stefos wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:29 am NO sect or yana supercedes the Noble 8 fold path according to Lord Buddha's first intention!!!!

Stefos

There is no first and last intention unless you think the Buddha was a human who lived and died in India thousands of years ago, which is not the view of someone who takes the teachings seriously. Many yanas actually 'supersede' Hinayana. If you consider Hinayana above all others then why are you practicing other vehicles?
Stefos

Post by Stefos »

Aryjna wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:01 pm
Stefos wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:29 am NO sect or yana supercedes the Noble 8 fold path according to Lord Buddha's first intention!!!!

Stefos

There is no first and last intention unless you think the Buddha was a human who lived and died in India thousands of years ago, which is not the view of someone who takes the teachings seriously. Many yanas actually 'supersede' Hinayana. If you consider Hinayana above all others then why are you practicing other vehicles?
Hinayana is a derogatory term.

I don't practice Hinayana.

The ancient schools were not Hinayana.

Stefos
Stefos

Post by Stefos »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:34 am And how exactly is the thread related to the Eight Fold Path so far?

You've been doing a bit of soapboxing and making demand of others in this thread, how about now you explain what point it is YOU are trying to make.
Initially I asked about SMP in the context of the Dharma.

My point: What constitutes Right action/behavior in the context of SMP according to Dharma....Mahayana/Vajrayana view?

What I've gotten is people who have attacked a conservativism which Lord Buddha Shakyamuni himself taught and advocated and then say "our vehicle bumps that old stuff." Which is very telling.

I'm all set with this discussion.

Good luck

Stefos
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Stefos, I really don't care what you think about the Vajrayana or it's relationship to the teachings of Shakyamuni Buddha as you perceive them to be. Or what you think about what I think.
I have spent a long time thinking about these issues as probably have you, and have reached different conclusions to yours.
But.. this is a discussion forum for Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism.

Good luck to you too.

:namaste:
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

Stefos wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:15 pm
Aryjna wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:01 pm

Stefos

Hinayana is a derogatory term.

I don't practice Hinayana.

The ancient schools were not Hinayana.

Stefos
I don't understand. You say you practice Dzogchen and Vajrayana, but at the same time you reject what they teach?

By the way, Hinayana is not derogatory and it has been discussed here before that it is the right term to describe traditions like Theravada, according to the Buddha. This can be easily confirmed in one's own study of various important Mahayana texts.
Admin_PC
Former staff member

Post by Admin_PC »

Coëmgenu wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:33 amI think it depends on what kind of Pure Land on terms of how "urgent" their practice will seem? Some are very radical in their mappō buddhology (dharmology?), I daresay more radical than Nichiren Buddhism, arguing that any significant Buddhic attainment of any sort is impossible in this time. Only the cultivation of faith & aspiration is possible, absolutely nothing else.
If this type of interpretation is being pushed by any Pure Land schools, it is a misunderstanding. In the actual texts from these schools (from Shinran, Honen, Ippen, Rennyo, et al), these statements are never in judgement of others, merely a description of one's own capabilities.

EDIT: before we can talk about whether or not Pure Land is similar to "Abrahamic religions", we would need to define clearly what "Abrahamic religions" are and in what ways Pure Land is similar to them. Every time I've engaged in this kind of discussion in the past, the goal posts get moved with every new post because apparently foundational texts for these religions are often thrown out the window in favor of particular interpretations.
Admin_PC
Former staff member

Post by Admin_PC »

Stefos wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:24 am

Hello and Thank you,

No...this is the forum for me because I'm trying to ascertain:

1. The early Buddhist view/Mahayana view THEN

2. The Vajrayana view

It's not an issue of "Superior/Inferior" Vehicle or trying to undercut the Mahayana/Vajrayana by any means but it's about foundation.

I don't understand why a consensus on "The Early Buddhist view" isn't nailed down here?

That should be the foundation of all Mahayana schools.........Shouldn't it? Why isn't it?

Grigoris, one of our moderators, stated that Thera & Mahayana texts existed at the same time a few posts prior.
They must have discussed SMP and the Dharma.

Incidentally, this thread was about never about sects.

Stefos
You're assuming one is first and the other is later, built on top of the earlier. That entire premise is at odds with the goal of this forum. Many of us don't accept this view whatsoever, nor should we feel obliged to. Mahayana & Vajrayana paths often see themselves complete as they are - no requirement of understanding "the Early Buddhist view" (in scare quotes). Again, as has been pointed out to you multiple times on this thread: continuing down this road is at odds with the goals of this forum and against the Terms of Service.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Stefos wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:25 pm
Johnny Dangerous wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:34 am And how exactly is the thread related to the Eight Fold Path so far?

Initially I asked about SMP in the context of the Dharma.

My point: What constitutes Right action/behavior in the context of SMP according to Dharma....Mahayana/Vajrayana view?

What I've gotten is people who have attacked a conservativism which Lord Buddha Shakyamuni himself taught and advocated and then say "our vehicle bumps that old stuff." Which is very telling.

I'm all set with this discussion.

Good luck

Stefos
Ok, I feel like that's a wrap.

As always pm me if someone has a burning desire to keep the thread open.

-Khunu Lama

Return to “Ethical Conduct”