Context of Pointing out instructions

DannyDevitoFan

Context of Pointing out instructions

Post by DannyDevitoFan »

Are pointing out instructions always explicity identified before or after they are given? I've been in two separate situations in the past week where two separate teachers told me what the nature of mind was. One was a formal teaching in a room full of students, another was in an informal conversation. Would I know if I had received pointing out instructions? Is this even worth trying to figure out?
KristenM

Re: Context of Pointing out instructions

Post by KristenM »

I have a related, probably really dumb, question. So, I'm doing my ngondro, and I believe after that I may receive trekchod instruction. How does pointing out instructions fit into my developmental plan? I asked my mentor about pointing out instructions and got a vague response about perhaps if I have good karma I'll get it.

I was online for a webcast transmission so I guess it can be a total independent experience?
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

In the Dzogchen context there is oral,symbolic and and direct introduction.
This is explained very well in https://www.amazon.com/Crystal-Way-Ligh ... 1559391359
DannyDevitoFan

Post by DannyDevitoFan »

amanitamusc wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:36 am In the Dzogchen context there is oral,symbolic and and direct introduction.
This is explained very well in https://www.amazon.com/Crystal-Way-Ligh ... 1559391359
Yes, I have read that. The question remains...
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

csmorg96 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:57 am Are pointing out instructions always explicity identified before or after they are given? I've been in two separate situations in the past week where two separate teachers told me what the nature of mind was. One was a formal teaching in a room full of students, another was in an informal conversation. Would I know if I had received pointing out instructions? Is this even worth trying to figure out?
Well if the teacher pointed out the nature of mind that is good. It sounds like a Dzogchen pointing out.

Kevin
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

TharpaChodron wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:01 am I was online for a webcast transmission so I guess it can be a total independent experience?
Yes.

Kevin
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

TharpaChodron wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:01 am I have a related, probably really dumb, question. So, I'm doing my ngondro, and I believe after that I may receive trekchod instruction. How does pointing out instructions fit into my developmental plan? I asked my mentor about pointing out instructions and got a vague response about perhaps if I have good karma I'll get it.

I was online for a webcast transmission so I guess it can be a total independent experience?
If you had ChNNs transmission, he is not a teacher that emphasizes ngondro as far as mandala offering etc. goes, I would ask your mentor how to approach it, if I were in your shoes.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:45 am
TharpaChodron wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:01 am I have a related, probably really dumb, question. So, I'm doing my ngondro, and I believe after that I may receive trekchod instruction. How does pointing out instructions fit into my developmental plan? I asked my mentor about pointing out instructions and got a vague response about perhaps if I have good karma I'll get it.

If you had ChNNs transmission, he is not a teacher that emphasizes ngondro as far as mandala offering etc. goes, I would ask your mentor how to approach it, if I were in your shoes.
I did and I shall.
heart

Post by heart »

csmorg96 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:57 am Are pointing out instructions always explicity identified before or after they are given? I've been in two separate situations in the past week where two separate teachers told me what the nature of mind was. One was a formal teaching in a room full of students, another was in an informal conversation. Would I know if I had received pointing out instructions? Is this even worth trying to figure out?
You can talk about the nature of mind, on an intellectual level, but if it is pointed-out you need to recognise it. That means having the experience, so yes you would know.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
heart

Post by heart »

Yes, some Lamas do like that, first ngondro then pointing-out. But there is no rule actually. You need a good connection with the lama and that is certainly a "good karma". Some do it openly every retreat (ChNNR), some will do it whenever they feel there is a auspicious occasion. Some will only do it in private.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

It’s possible to have a teacher say the words and you not get it. It’s also possible for the teacher to do the pointing out without saying “I’m now going to...”, and though as Magnus says you may have experience, if you’d never heard of pointing out you might not know what it was.

In any case it’s a bit besides the point, and you probably shouldn’t spend any time thinking about it, since whatever does or doesn’t happen, you should ask your teacher how/what to practice afterwards, and just go from there. ChNN explicitly tells students the scope of what they can practice after direct introduction. Other teachers do not give you that degree of latitude. But any teacher will respond clearly and specifically to “what should I practice now”.
heart

Post by heart »

PeterC wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:51 am
It’s possible to have a teacher say the words and you not get it. It’s also possible for the teacher to do the pointing out without saying “I’m now going to...”, and though as Magnus says you may have experience, if you’d never heard of pointing out you might not know what it was.

In any case it’s a bit besides the point, and you probably shouldn’t spend any time thinking about it, since whatever does or doesn’t happen, you should ask your teacher how/what to practice afterwards, and just go from there. ChNN explicitly tells students the scope of what they can practice after direct introduction. Other teachers do not give you that degree of latitude. But any teacher will respond clearly and specifically to “what should I practice now”.
I agree, it might not be announced in any way. Also, having the direct introduction will not really effect what practice you do, just how you do it. Also many people need to receive the pointing-out not one but many times before they get it. And even if they don't get it they might get it later by doing practice.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

Vasana

Post by Vasana »

heart wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:32 am
You can talk about the nature of mind, on an intellectual level, but if it is pointed-out you need to recognise it. That means having the experience, so yes you would know.

/magnus
You might not have absolute confidence in the experience and be free of doubts however, hence the other Dzogchen 'preliminaries'.

*edit* just saw this,
And even if they don't get it they might get it later by doing practice.
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
florin

Post by florin »

If your question is whether you would know if you received the actual pointing , no you wouldn't necessarily.
New disciples that are very new to the teaching dont always know how the pointing out sounds and what to look for. You would definitely know if you were told beforehand that that is what you will be receiving.
Some teachers quite often give instructions that sound like a general teaching but they go to the essence and those people who are familiar with the teaching in general and pointing out instructions in particular they would know that the teacher speaks about the real thing and most essential aspect of the teaching. So in order to know what he essential instructions look like you would have to be a little bit familiar before hand with what the terminology is, the particular symbols used and what is actually introduced.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

What makes you believe that the karma that lead to you watching the webcast was not partly a consequence of the ngondro you are engaged in? After all: nothing is independent. ;)
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
TaTa

Post by TaTa »

Grigoris wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:48 pm

What makes you believe that the karma that lead to you watching the webcast was not partly a consequence of the ngondro you are engaged in? After all: nothing is independent. ;)
I second this. Personally i feel that ngondro really help things unfold for me and get conection with wonderfull techears and dharma.

Some teachers beside chnn also givepointing out instructions to complement ngondro (or viceversa). I think its really a blessing, personaly i understood ngondro practice a lot mote after reciving it.

Rejoice!
TaTa

Post by TaTa »

:good:
florin wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:13 pm
If your question is whether you would know if you received the actual pointing , no you wouldn't necessarily.
New disciples that are very new to the teaching dont always know how the pointing out sounds and what to look for. You would definitely know if you were told beforehand that that is what you will be receiving.
Some teachers quite often give instructions that sound like a general teaching but they go to the essence and those people who are familiar with the teaching in general and pointing out instructions in particular they would know that the teacher speaks about the real thing and most essential aspect of the teaching. So in order to know what he essential instructions look like you would have to be a little bit familiar before hand with what the terminology is, the particular symbols used and what is actually introduced.
:good:
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

heart wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:05 am I agree, it might not be announced in any way. Also, having the direct introduction will not really effect what practice you do, just how you do it. Also many people need to receive the pointing-out not one but many times before they get it. And even if they don't get it they might get it later by doing practice.

/magnus
I suspect we may have some teachers in common...

The last point above is critical. Probably the majority of people don't recognize the nature of mind when the instruction is given. But a lot of things become clearer in retrospect after serious practice.

There's a lot that could be said about this topic. But there probably isn't much point in discussing it either.
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

Grigoris wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:48 pm

Indeed. And frankly, I did manage to be there for the webcast with some amazingly good timing. Thanks for the reminder about interconnectivity and all that jazz. :)

Return to “Dzogchen”