Siddhis/Methods for Fixing Scoliosis

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Re: Siddhis/Methods for Fixing Scoliosis

Post by Grigoris »

Motova wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:52 pm
Grigoris wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:48 pm
Motova wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:54 pmCheck out all the astral projection books.
Astral projection is not Vajrayana. Practicing to attain siddhi is not the goal in Buddhism.
Maybe if more people could read minds there would be less fake lamas.... :shrug:
If people could read their own minds, there would be no need for lamas.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
MatthewAngby

Post by MatthewAngby »

Wait what about if you WANT siddhis due to compassion Fort others and even Want to use it as a form of skill full means? I kinda am confused as to why so many people dislike the idea of people wanting siddhis - maybe they just want to have magical tools to further help these pitiful poor sentient beings?
The force is my ally...and a powerful ally it is - Yoda
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

Grigoris wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:48 pm
Motova wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:54 pmCheck out all the astral projection books.
Astral projection is not Vajrayana. Practicing to attain siddhi is not the goal in Buddhism.
It might not be called astral projection in Vajrayana but it's there. Any long distance interaction with Gurus or with the 8 classes, bardo beings, elemental beings, perception of one's subtle body etc is pretty much an astral experience/perception and those with this capacity can use it for compassionate and skillfull means.

https://studybuddhism.com/en/advanced-s ... n-buddhism
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
tranides

Post by tranides »

MatthewAngby wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:34 pm Wait what about if you WANT siddhis due to compassion Fort others and even Want to use it as a form of skill full means? I kinda am confused as to why so many people dislike the idea of people wanting siddhis - maybe they just want to have magical tools to further help these pitiful poor sentient beings?
Its not pure motivation - pure motivation is to free all sentient beeings from samsara. If you make attaining siddhis as your motivation, then its distraction in your practice.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Vasana wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:37 pmIt might not be called astral projection in Vajrayana but it's there. Any long distance interaction with Gurus or with the 8 classes, bardo beings, elemental beings, perception of one's subtle body etc is pretty much an astral experience/perception and those with this capacity can use it for compassionate and skillfull means.

No, it is not the same, mainly because the goal is not the same and because it lacks bodhicitta motivation. The practices and states listed on the Berzin site are not for the sake of experiences, but to facilitate realisation.

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

Grigoris wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:37 pm
Vasana wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:37 pmIt might not be called astral projection in Vajrayana but it's there. Any long distance interaction with Gurus or with the 8 classes, bardo beings, elemental beings, perception of one's subtle body etc is pretty much an astral experience/perception and those with this capacity can use it for compassionate and skillfull means.

No, it is not the same, mainly because the goal is not the same and because it lacks bodhicitta motivation. The practices and states listed on the Berzin site are not for the sake of experiences, but to facilitate realisation.
There isn't really a universal goal in astral projection but that's sort of like saying that a car or a train has no goal. It's goal is directed by the driver's intent or it's lack so you can also astral project with aspirational bodhichitta or even just a regular compassionate aspiration. Or it might just happen spontaneously as nyams and you might learn a bit about the subtle body or other things in the process. If you have had no astral or out of body experiences it's easy to dismiss it off hand as having no corresponding experience, usage, place or application in Buddhism. With that said, I'm not recommending people try and follow it as a path unto it's self or aim for that ability to the detriment of practicing the dharma.
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

I had a friend with scoliosis and she found this neat trick that really helped her. It is called modern medicine. That shit can do wonders.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

of course you can achieve the eight common or ordinary siddhi through wanting them. that's why they are called ordinary or common. they are achieved in common by practitioners of many different traditions and religions without necessarily being associated with Bodhicitta. the keys are faith (that it's possible), desire, a technique or practice, diligence and perseverance in applying that practice, and samadhi.

sorry. fixing scoliosis through siddhi, don't know anything about. maybe get a divination from a high Lama, someone with real ngon-she/super-knowlege. They may be able to tell you the karmic cause of the problem, whether it is fixable, and, if so, by what means.

good luck & best wishes
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Motova

Post by Motova »

pemachophel wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:58 pm of course you can achieve the eight common or ordinary siddhi through wanting them. that's why they are called ordinary or common. they are achieved in common by practitioners of many different traditions and religions without necessarily being associated with Bodhicitta. the keys are faith (that it's possible), desire, a technique or practice, diligence and perseverance in applying that practice, and samadhi.

sorry. fixing scoliosis through siddhi, don't know anything about. maybe get a divination from a high Lama, someone with real ngon-she/super-knowlege. They may be able to tell you the karmic cause of the problem, whether it is fixable, and, if so, by what means.

good luck & best wishes
Thank you.
To become a rain man one must master the ten virtues and sciences.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Vasana wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:07 pm If you have had no astral or out of body experiences it's easy to dismiss it off hand as having no corresponding experience, usage, place or application in Buddhism.
Picking your nose can have a application in Buddhism, that doen't mean that every instance of nose picking is Vajrayana. You are engaging in Association Fallacy.

tranides

Post by tranides »

pemachophel wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:58 pm of course you can achieve the eight common or ordinary siddhi through wanting them. that's why they are called ordinary or common. they are achieved in common by practitioners of many different traditions and religions without necessarily being associated with Bodhicitta. the keys are faith (that it's possible), desire, a technique or practice, diligence and perseverance in applying that practice, and samadhi.

good luck & best wishes
Khetsun Sangpo in Strand of Jewels is answering the question: (siddhis)"They are helpfull with the wordly activities of this life. As such, they are objects of attachment. They have nothing to do with the veiw. As practicioners, we shouldn't be hoping or seeking them"
And i though 8 are called the common, to distinguish those from the supreme one.
Motova

Post by Motova »

How many Siddhis are there?
To become a rain man one must master the ten virtues and sciences.
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

Grigoris wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:07 pm
Vasana wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:07 pm If you have had no astral or out of body experiences it's easy to dismiss it off hand as having no corresponding experience, usage, place or application in Buddhism.
Picking your nose can have a application in Buddhism, that doen't mean that every instance of nose picking is Vajrayana. You are engaging in Association Fallacy.
Hence my last sentence:
With that said, I'm not recommending people try and follow it as a path unto it's self or aim for that ability to the detriment of practicing the dharma.
Clearly I don't think every instance of someone practising astral projection is practicing Buddha-dharma. We can leave it there anywhere and let the thread get back on topic :smile: .
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

we each have our Lamas and each Lama has His teachings. my Lama said that the eight ordinary or common siddhi are extremely helpful in one's thrin-lay/Enlightened activity, and each of his close students past a certain point in their training had to vow to obtain/try hard to obtain one of the eight in this lifetime. it was the student's choice which one. he also used to say that the current fashion of pooh-poohing the eight ordinary siddhis is because so few practitioners these days are able to obtain them. but we've been over all this before on this site.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
MiphamFan

Post by MiphamFan »

I'm not pooh-poohing siddhis.

I think trying to obtain siddhis to fix scoliosis is probably going to take far more effort than fixing it with medicine though.
haha

Post by haha »

Motova wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:56 pm What is the minimum level of concentration or realization one needs to fix scoliosis?

It may concern to your interest.
Hands On Healing Stories: Broken Bones & Scoliosis
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

MiphamFan wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:12 am I'm not pooh-poohing siddhis.

I think trying to obtain siddhis to fix scoliosis is probably going to take far more effort than fixing it with medicine though.
I agree, but trying to attain siddhis will bring other benefits too. Maybe the OP should try both approaches concurrently?

Soma999

Post by Soma999 »

I remeber of someone with a severe back pain saw doctors, chiropractors... with little improve. It was even hard to walk.

After reciting the Sanghata Sutra and doing prayers and recitations of mantra, by chance, one week later, a very good doctors, with an original approach, was found and asked if he could have a look. In 15 minutes, all the pain was gone. Then all came back as normal.

So clearly, doing practice combined with classical approach can be a good combo.
seeker242

Post by seeker242 »

I had a yoga teacher in college who cured himself of severe scoliosis just by doing yoga. :smile:
One should not kill any living being, nor cause it to be killed, nor should one incite any other to kill. Do never injure any being, whether strong or weak, in this entire universe!
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

seeker242 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:34 pm I had a yoga teacher in college who cured himself of severe scoliosis just by doing yoga. :smile:
And I almost destroyed my knees doing yoga. That's the problem with anecdotal evidence: it's anecdotal. :smile:

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”