Public vs Private Mala???

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
liuzg150181

Public vs Private Mala???

Post by liuzg150181 »

I was doing online browsing and shopping when I chanced upon this:
"It is taught that to accomplish siddhis quickly, one should have both a private and a public mala. The private mala should be taken out only when one is doing practice by oneself, and should not be touched by others, except for your teachers when you ask them to bless the mala. The public mala can be used during prayer ceremonies (or pujas) when one is out in public."

Public setting is obvious in many cases,but what constitutes private setting? Ever pujas,practices or empowerment with vajra siblings are considered public setting?
jet.urgyen

Re: Public vs Private Mala???

Post by jet.urgyen »

I dont know, but also want to know the answer.

I would count a collective practice as private when done with mature practitioners in a closed room or secret place.
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Harimoo

Post by Harimoo »

I was taught the same thing.
Some private mala are "special" (peculiar material : bones, stones etc.) and can indicate the type of practises you perform and so can be seen as a breach of samaya (and can also lead to jealousy, questions, evil eye by other tantrika etc.)
I was also taught that you shoudn't touch the mala of someone or let your own mala been touched.
philji

Post by philji »

One of my teachers talks about the correct use of mala quite often in bis dezcription ov Vajrayana practice.
This link has some relevant information.
https://samyeinstitute.org/wisdom/malas ... yer-beads/
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

philji wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:50 pm One of my teachers talks about the correct use of mala quite often in bis dezcription ov Vajrayana practice.
Thank you, this is interesting to me
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
MatthewAngby

Post by MatthewAngby »

Wait I do not understand now. Why is it focusing so much on external appearances? Also, should I keep private Malas so that people won’t see it? Should I keep away statues of wrathful deity ?

Another question : but why focus on colour? Like maybe I see the colour as red but maybe colour blind people see it as white and vice versa. Imagine the whole world see red as white and I see the red as red. Then idk like the concept of colour just kinda u know...fades for me ( AT LEAST FOR ME , IM NOT SURE IF I AM RIGHT OR NOT SO DONT PLACE UR FULL TRUST IN ME PEOPLE )
The force is my ally...and a powerful ally it is - Yoda
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

MatthewAngby wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:24 pm Wait I do not understand now. Why is it focusing so much on external appearances? Also, should I keep private Malas so that people won’t see it? Should I keep away statues of wrathful deity ?

Another question : but why focus on colour? Like maybe I see the colour as red but maybe colour blind people see it as white and vice versa. Imagine the whole world see red as white and I see the red as red. Then idk like the concept of colour just kinda u know...fades for me ( AT LEAST FOR ME , IM NOT SURE IF I AM RIGHT OR NOT SO DONT PLACE UR FULL TRUST IN ME PEOPLE )
I normally cover the statues of the wrathful deities on my shrine when random people visit (the plumber, for example) or people that do not have an understanding about these things.

As for mala. I heard somewhere that throwing one's mala in a used latrine can cause a Yidam to appear... But you can't trust hearsay now, can you? :smile:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

philji wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:50 pm One of my teachers talks about the correct use of mala quite often in bis dezcription ov Vajrayana practice.
The advice in the link seems a little odd. 9 strands of black leather for a wrathful purpose, strung through a rudraksha seed mala; now that's some achievement.
Even with a kapala mala the strands would need to be incredibly thin. Giant bodhiseed may just about take that number, but wearing that secretly is quite a lot to ask.

There's quite a lot of mala advice on the forum, some quite recent.
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
MatthewAngby

Post by MatthewAngby »

Grigoris wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:45 pm
MatthewAngby wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:24 pm Wait I do not understand now. Why is it focusing so much on external appearances? Also, should I keep private Malas so that people won’t see it? Should I keep away statues of wrathful deity ?

I normally cover the statues of the wrathful deities on my shrine when random people visit (the plumber, for example) or people that do not have an understanding about these things.

As for mala. I heard somewhere that throwing one's mala in a used latrine can cause a Yidam to appear... But you can't trust hearsay now, can you? :smile:
Ok but why do they focus on Color and like the appearance. I’m very confused now
MatthewAngby

Post by MatthewAngby »

Grigoris wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:45 pm

Wait so can I try it - throwing the Mala? Will it cause negative karma though?
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

MatthewAngby wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:00 pmWait so can I try it - throwing the Mala? Will it cause negative karma though?
Sure, once you have trained to the level of the Mahasiddha Virupa I am sure you can pull off the feat. :smile:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
philji

Post by philji »

I know very little about this subject but what i have heard from my teacher is that a mala is not just for counting mantras. It is a samaya substance, a sacred substance,It is a manifestation of the yidam, obviously when we consecrate a mala this is more obvious. I guess speak to a teacher who is more knowledgeable would be good advice.
MatthewAngby

Post by MatthewAngby »

So do I keep the Mala in private for now?
heart

Post by heart »

liuzg150181 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:48 pm I was doing online browsing and shopping when I chanced upon this:
"It is taught that to accomplish siddhis quickly, one should have both a private and a public mala. The private mala should be taken out only when one is doing practice by oneself, and should not be touched by others, except for your teachers when you ask them to bless the mala. The public mala can be used during prayer ceremonies (or pujas) when one is out in public."

Public setting is obvious in many cases,but what constitutes private setting? Ever pujas,practices or empowerment with vajra siblings are considered public setting?
Yes, it is kept from everyone if you want to be serious.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Grigoris wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:02 pm
MatthewAngby wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:00 pmWait so can I try it - throwing the Mala? Will it cause negative karma though?
Sure, once you have trained to the level of the Mahasiddha Virupa I am sure you can pull off the feat. :smile:
Just tried it, but some snake thingies hurled it back out of the pan at me and told me to do something like Snag a Poo Jar and stop pissing them off. Sometimes, the advice we get on this forum..............
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
Tiago Simões

Post by Tiago Simões »

Mantrik wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:44 pm
Grigoris wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:02 pm
Just tried it, but some snake thingies hurled it back out of the pan at me and told me to do something like Snag a Poo Jar and stop pissing them off. Sometimes, the advice we get on this forum..............
The snake thingies didn't tell you to ask your teacher? :smile:
liuzg150181

Post by liuzg150181 »

heart wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:29 pm
liuzg150181 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:48 pm I was doing online browsing and shopping when I chanced upon this:

/magnus
Shall keep that in mind and to heart.
Also does the public mala need to be blessed before being used? I assume if I get new private mala,I need it to be blessed by lama first before using it.
heart

Post by heart »

liuzg150181 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:54 am

/magnus
Also does the public mala need to be blessed before being used? I assume if I get new private mala,I need it to be blessed by lama first before using it.
I have done several retreats with the Lama that gave me this information. He say like this:

1. Always get your malas (as well as all other ritual objects) blessed.
2. Keep it in pouch when not using
3. Never show it to anyone nor let anyone touch it except your Lama

He always keep it hidden under his zen while using during group retreat. I think he don't approve of public malas but many Rinpoches use them.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
florin

Post by florin »

heart wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:05 am

/magnus
I have done several retreats with the Lama that gave me this information. He say like this:

He always keep it hidden under his zen while using during group retreat. I think he don't approve of public malas but many Rinpoches use them.

/magnus
I wonder about all these tibetan monks or otherwise which constantly wear their malas around the neck, wrist or count in public. I see this all the time...
liuzg150181

Post by liuzg150181 »

florin wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:32 am
heart wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:05 am

/magnus
I wonder about all these tibetan monks or otherwise which constantly wear their malas around the neck, wrist or count in public. I see this all the time...
Dunno whether it is private or public,but I had recently seen Phakchok Rinpoche demostrated how to use a mala.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”