Kyabgön Phakchok rinpoche

MatthewAngby

Kyabgön Phakchok rinpoche

Post by MatthewAngby »

So, after 2 days of attending his teachings, I feel an immense devotion to him and very inspired by him. First of all I would really want to say he is a very good talker and he can keep the crowd interested as far as I think.

So, to the people who are very close with him , what kind of teacher is he in terms of attitude and teaching style. I look forward to meeting him next time .
The force is my ally...and a powerful ally it is - Yoda
heart

Re: Kyabgön Phakchok rinpoche

Post by heart »

MatthewAngby wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:57 am So, after 2 days of attending his teachings, I feel an immense devotion to him and very inspired by him. First of all I would really want to say he is a very good talker and he can keep the crowd interested as far as I think.

So, to the people who are very close with him , what kind of teacher is he in terms of attitude and teaching style. I look forward to meeting him next time .
You really should get an interview and ask him all your questions, he is a very great guy unlike any other Lama's I know. He teach Chokling Tersar and also Taklung Kagyu. You can see what kind of texts his students translate at https://lhaseylotsawa.org and he has this website https://samyeinstitute.org

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
philji

Post by philji »

As Heart says above, Phakchok Rinpoche is very unique, he is modern in his way of presenting dharma but when it comes to oractice vey traditional. As you probably know by now he is straight talking but with great sense of humour.
He cares vey much for his students and has designed a number of programs for students to follow, even if they are not in regular contact with him.
I feel he is someone i can be totally honest with and I know his care and wisdom will be of benefit to me.
MatthewAngby

Post by MatthewAngby »

Erh quick question : does he not favours people who are unconfident ,not independent and shy ? ( I’m not trying to say something bad I am just curious ) ( he is very nice )
liuzg150181

Post by liuzg150181 »

heart wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:17 am
MatthewAngby wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:57 am So, after 2 days of attending his teachings, I feel an immense devotion to him and very inspired by him. First of all I would really want to say he is a very good talker and he can keep the crowd interested as far as I think.

You really should get an interview and ask him all your questions, he is a very great guy unlike any other Lama's I know. He teach Chokling Tersar and also Taklung Kagyu. You can see what kind of texts his students translate at https://lhaseylotsawa.org and he has this website https://samyeinstitute.org

/magnus
I know it sound stupid........but what do people usually ask Rinpoche abt,esp when it is first time meeting face-to-face?
philji

Post by philji »

MatthewAngby wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:43 am Erh quick question : does he not favours people who are unconfident ,not independent and shy ? ( I’m not trying to say something bad I am just curious ) ( he is very nice )
Have no idea as to why this question is asked or of an answer. My experience is that there are all sorts of students comng to him, some big and bold, others quiet, young, old. He does encourage students to be confident and have dignity...” be lion heart not chicken heart” is an oft quoted phrase by Rinpoche.
philji

Post by philji »

liuzg150181 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:52 am

/magnus
I know it sound stupid........but what do people usually ask Rinpoche abt,esp when it is first time meeting face-to-face?
Ask whatever is relevant ... Maybe giving a little background to Rinpoche of your practice etc would be helpful. Dont worry, Rinpoche will very quickly open up the discussion.
MatthewAngby

Post by MatthewAngby »

Well I’m always very quiet and scared when talking -time to change I Guess.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Just be natural. Be yourself. Imagine that he is an uncle that you respect..
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
heart

Post by heart »

/magnus
It really is up to you, some people talk about, health, mental problems, boyfriend/girlfriend problems and so on. I normally ask about Dharma, it could be anything that bothers you. Phakchok Rinpoche is particularly fun to ask about Dharma, he don't hold back. Or at least, he didn't use to. I haven't seen him for a number of years now.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
liuzg150181

Post by liuzg150181 »

heart wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:02 pm

/magnus
It really is up to you, some people talk about, health, mental problems, boyfriend/girlfriend problems and so on. I normally ask about Dharma, it could be anything that bothers you. Phakchok Rinpoche is particularly fun to ask about Dharma, he don't hold back. Or at least, he didn't use to. I haven't seen him for a number of years now.

/magnus
The former few examples sounds rather mundane to ask Rinpoche........ :coffee:
Sounds interesting that he is fun to ask regarding dharma, guess I shall try to do so next time I attend his teachings.
Haven't seen him for years? Come visit him in Singapore, since he teaches here frequently. :D
liuzg150181

Post by liuzg150181 »

philji wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:24 am

/magnus
Ask whatever is relevant ... Maybe giving a little background to Rinpoche of your practice etc would be helpful. Dont worry, Rinpoche will very quickly open up the discussion.
Receiving teaching all over the place and not much practices. :emb:
liuzg150181

Post by liuzg150181 »

philji wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:22 am
MatthewAngby wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:43 am Erh quick question : does he not favours people who are unconfident ,not independent and shy ? ( I’m not trying to say something bad I am just curious ) ( he is very nice )
Have no idea as to why this question is asked or of an answer. My experience is that there are all sorts of students comng to him, some big and bold, others quiet, young, old. He does encourage students to be confident and have dignity...” be lion heart not chicken heart” is an oft quoted phrase by Rinpoche.
Good quote from him. :thumbsup: :anjali: :bow: :applause:
heart

Post by heart »

liuzg150181 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:33 pm
heart wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:02 pm

/magnus
The former few examples sounds rather mundane to ask Rinpoche........ :coffee:
Sounds interesting that he is fun to ask regarding dharma, guess I shall try to do so next time I attend his teachings.
Haven't seen him for years? Come visit him in Singapore, since he teaches here frequently. :D
Singapore is rather far from Sweden :smile: and yes I would drop the girlfriend questions if I was you. :smile:

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

PeterC

Post by PeterC »

/magnus
I've seen people ask whether they should buy a house, accept a job offer, or get married; what treatment they should pursue for an illness; how to improve their children's chances in exams; what he thinks of a political or social issue; what he thinks of another teacher or some other teaching. People often think that dharma teachers are some kind of omniscient psychotherapists, rather than people who know a lot about the dharma.

But I would strongly recommend instead saying what practices you do, what experiences, doubts or concerns you have, and asking his advice on what you should do, then following that advice. The last part is the most important.
liuzg150181

Post by liuzg150181 »

PeterC wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:22 pm

/magnus
I've seen people ask whether they should buy a house, accept a job offer, or get married; what treatment they should pursue for an illness; how to improve their children's chances in exams; what he thinks of a political or social issue; what he thinks of another teacher or some other teaching. People often think that dharma teachers are some kind of omniscient psychotherapists, rather than people who know a lot about the dharma.

But I would strongly recommend instead saying what practices you do, what experiences, doubts or concerns you have, and asking his advice on what you should do, then following that advice. The last part is the most important.
I am more amused that people would ask Rinpoche such mundane questions(instead of Dharma related qn) in the first way. :rolling:
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

As far as what questions to ask, in my experience with teachers: ask Dharma questions or questions about medicine, astrology, divination, etc, but don't ask worldly questions (unless you really want to). Also be careful how you phrase things. If tells you to do a certain practice, you really should do it, so be careful how you phrase your questions. ;)

Kevin
philji

Post by philji »

Virgo wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:42 pm As far as what questions to ask, in my experience with teachers: ask Dharma questions or questions about medicine, astrology, divination, etc, but don't ask worldly questions (unless you really want to). Also be careful how you phrase things. If tells you to do a certain practice, you really should do it, so be careful how you phrase your questions. ;)

Kevin
I agree with above... a friend gave me some wise words many moons ago...” if you dont want the answer....dont ask the question!”
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

liuzg150181 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:32 pm
I am more amused that people would ask Rinpoche such mundane questions(instead of Dharma related qn) in the first way. :rolling:
People are people. They may want validation, emotional support, someone to look up to, belief that someone is going to solve their problems. This is all normal and understandable, but can also be a bit tiring for a dharma teacher who has to get through fifty interviews after a teaching and before dinner.
liuzg150181

Post by liuzg150181 »

philji wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:04 pm
Virgo wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:42 pm As far as what questions to ask, in my experience with teachers: ask Dharma questions or questions about medicine, astrology, divination, etc, but don't ask worldly questions (unless you really want to). Also be careful how you phrase things. If tells you to do a certain practice, you really should do it, so be careful how you phrase your questions. ;)

Kevin
I agree with above... a friend gave me some wise words many moons ago...” if you dont want the answer....dont ask the question!”
Hence I have yet to personally ask any Rinpoche any question. :tongue:

Return to “Nyingma”