Do Admins/Mods have access to read our PMs?

Offer your suggestions about how we can improve this forum to better serve our members, and tell us here about any technical problems.
Carlita

Re: Do Admins/Mods have access to read our PMs?

Post by Carlita »

DNS wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:01 pm
Carlita wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:19 pm Mods have access to PMs.
No, they don't, read the whole thread, including my post. Any forum has the potential to read the PMs, but in all cases it can only be done so by accessing that part of the server. It is not in the forum, directly, it is not accessible by any moderator or admin that way. It can only be obtained by accessing that part of the server. For that, you need the server ID and server password and the only one who has that password is our webmaster and I. And I can assure you, we have no interest in looking at the tens of thousands of PMs.
Please read my last two posts with the others who are critic my opinion.

It was personal experience. That other person could have reported the conversation but unless they copied an paste the whole thing to staff, the pm was shut down and blocked. Maybe staff took the other persons word for it, who knows.

I would have to find the message that gave us the on block. I'm sure breach in rules is an exception or are reports taken by consult of the person reporting but not who they reported about?

I don't know. I never had this on other sites. Like mentioned by someone else above the other could have reported it. Then that makes me think of how a pm can be blocked if the staff can't read pm to confirm.

It is not negative in nature.
[The Buddha says to his monks], when he opens his mouth to expound or when he reads the sutra, he should not delight in speaking of the faults of other people or scriptures. He should not display contempt for other teachers of the Law or speak of the good or bad, the strong or weak points of others. -Saddharma Puṇḍarīka Sūtra
:anjali:
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Carlita wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:25 pm
DNS wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:01 pm
Carlita wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:19 pm Mods have access to PMs.
No, they don't, read the whole thread, including my post. Any forum has the potential to read the PMs, but in all cases it can only be done so by accessing that part of the server. It is not in the forum, directly, it is not accessible by any moderator or admin that way. It can only be obtained by accessing that part of the server. For that, you need the server ID and server password and the only one who has that password is our webmaster and I. And I can assure you, we have no interest in looking at the tens of thousands of PMs.
Please read my last two posts with the others who are critic my opinion.

It was personal experience. That other person could have reported the conversation but unless they copied an paste the whole thing to staff, the pm was shut down and blocked. Maybe staff took the other persons word for it, who knows.

I would have to find the message that gave us the on block. I'm sure breach in rules is an exception or are reports taken by consult of the person reporting but not who they reported about?

I don't know. I never had this on other sites. Like mentioned by someone else above the other could have reported it. Then that makes me think of how a pm can be blocked if the staff can't read pm to confirm.

It is not negative in nature.
If someone reports a PM they can share the PM with a Mod, just as you can share your PM's with anyone who is a Member. The point is that Mods cannot read your PM themselves unless you or the recipient shares it with them. So your comment was an incorrect conclusion.
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

The original poster's question has been answered and the conditions under which a moderator has the capacity to read PMs has been explained (multiple times).

There is nothing left to discuss here.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Return to “Suggestion Box”