Gongchig's Main Point

adinatha

Gongchig's Main Point

Post by adinatha »

Homage to Ratna Sri!

In the first turning the Buddha taught the basis of reality is cause and effect.

In the second turning the Buddha taught cause and effect are empty.

In the third turning he taught emptiness appears as cause and effect.

The first turning has a common sense meaning. Actions bear fruit.

The second turning has a more logical meaning. Cause and effect, being interdependent, are empty in themselves.

The third turning has a nonconceptual meaning. With the view of mind's essence, and no concept of self, actions or things, benefit appears for all beings.

Thus, with a freeform mind essence, an unpatterned cognition and innate intelligence, let the highest wisdom manifest in the stream of all possible sentient being's lifestreams, in all possible universes, forever.

This is how to practice all levels, schools and sects of dharma. The teaching is cause and effect to abandon harm. The view is detachment to action with the lesson of emptiness. The conduct is to let go even to Dharma as the spontaneous appearance of nonconceptual wisdom. The fruit is freedom from hope and fear as samsara and nirvana are liberated innately.
CAW!
Nicholas Weeks

Re: Gongchig's Main Point

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

What is Gongchig?
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
adinatha

Post by adinatha »

Will wrote:What is Gongchig?
It is the summary of all vehicles in roughly 147 vajra verses by Lord Jigten Sumgon, founder of the Drikung Kagyu Lineage.
CAW!
ngodrup

Post by ngodrup »

And a text that has been hotly debated as it is,
like many texts, not without controversy.
Jinzang

Post by Jinzang »

The text is a compilation of sayings by Jigten Sumgon by his chief disciple. The title indicates that all of the Buddha's various teachings were given with a single intent and that is the first of the sayings. As Ngodup said, some of the points are controversial and appear, at least superficially, to contradict established Buddhist teachings. For example, it is taught that conventionally real phenomena have an effect, conventionally unreal do not. The Gong Chig says that conventionally unreal phenomena can also have effects.
"It's as plain as the nose on your face!" Dottie Primrose
ground

Post by ground »

Jinzang wrote:The Gong Chig says that conventionally unreal phenomena can also have effects.
Well mere thoughts obviously can have effects regardless of whether these are shared by others through convention or not.

kind regards
adinatha

Post by adinatha »

The 8th Karmapa wrote an extensive commentary about Gonchig, declaring it is representative of the Kagyu view generally. Lord Jigten Sumgon was Lord Phagmo Drubpa's heart-son, above all his disciples was his foremost. He is considered the reincarnation of Nagarjuna. Many of the Kagyu lineages have died out and few remain strong, unbroken without internal factions fighting. This is due to the great merit generated by Lord Jigten Sumgon's enlightenment, where he manifested complete buddhahood, and then went on to a long teaching career, where he would teach as many as 100,000 people at once. His disciples were so numerous the valleys in winter were warm and steamy from all the tummo practitioners.
CAW!
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

adinatha wrote:
It is the summary of all vehicles in roughly 147 vajra verses by Lord Jigten Sumgon, founder of the Drikung Kagyu Lineage.
Is there an e-version available somewhere for perusal? :tongue:
:namaste:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
adinatha

Post by adinatha »

gregkavarnos wrote:
adinatha wrote:
niet
CAW!
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

gregkavarnos wrote:
adinatha wrote:
At HH Chetsang Rinpoche's teaching in Maryland August-Sept 2010 I asked a khenpo there if an English version of the Gongchik exists (this may have been verses + commentary) and he said no but a German version had recently been completed and was available. Given that it isn't impossible that an e-version might exist just that it's unpublished.

So did I mangle my memory or is there an English version, etc?

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

"Most all-knowing Mañjuśrī, ...
Please illuminate the radiant wisdom spirit
Of my precious Buddha nature."
HH Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

I found an english printed version but am a little low on cash lately that's why I am looking for an e-version.
http://www.drikung.org/index.php?option ... cle&id=260" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Jinzang

Post by Jinzang »

The Gong Chik has been taught often at the Tibetan Meditation Center. I saw a spiral bound copy of the commentary which includes a translation of the root text. As in the case of many root texts, it is brief and won't stand on its own without a commentary. I don't know the availability of the commentary, it might be sold out. There are several traditional commentaries by Drikung masters. It is these which have not yet been translated into English.

This is my personal opinion, but I believe teaching the Gong Chik was part of Chetsang Rinpoche's program for rehabilitating the Drikung. Many Drikung were studying texts from other lineages (jamgon Kongtrul, Mipham, etc) and he wanted to emphasize texts that were distinctively Drikung.
"It's as plain as the nose on your face!" Dottie Primrose
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Gongchik is included in Peter Robets book, "Mahamudra and related Instructions," for those of you looking for an English translation.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Karinos

Post by Karinos »

http://www.drikung.org/index.php/resources/books/260" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
you can order English version - just contact publisher directly via email.

Otter Verlag
New Address:
Reimerdinger Str. 18
D-29640 Schneverdingen
mail [email protected]
http://www.otterverlag.de" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
konchog_dardrol

Post by konchog_dardrol »

There are some used copies on Amazon of the yellow text with Rigdzin Chodrak's commentary, and there are copies of the root text that can be purchased from Garchen Institute's webstore on garchen.net.

Return to “Kagyu”