Awakening kundalini?

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
MatthewAngby

Awakening kundalini?

Post by MatthewAngby »

Prolly got a bad rep here but I really need to ask this question. I was visiting a man who is physicquie and he tells me I should attain kundalini ( which I have found a center for it ). Well , it is a Hindu center that teaches it so I’m not sure if it is ok or not. I read and saw that kundalini can help me to have better concentration and achieve anything my mind wants - which is good for my dharma pratice because I was advised to pratice meditation on focusing. So should I go and learn how to awaken kudalini?
The force is my ally...and a powerful ally it is - Yoda
MiphamFan

Re: Awakening kundalini?

Post by MiphamFan »

Kundalini in new age Hindu centres is mostly hippie bullshit to scam you. The equivalent in Tibetan Buddhism tummo, but you need proper instructions for that.

Anyway you don't need all this stuff to concentrate on your school work, trust me, I wasted a lot of time in my youth on all kinds of self-help bullshit. If you want to improve your meditation, follow a teacher's structions and keep practising.
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

MatthewAngby wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:56 pm Prolly got a bad rep here but I really need to ask this question. I was visiting a man who is physicquie and he tells me I should attain kundalini ( which I have found a center for it ). Well , it is a Hindu center that teaches it so I’m not sure if it is ok or not. I read and saw that kundalini can help me to have better concentration and achieve anything my mind wants - which is good for my dharma pratice because I was advised to pratice meditation on focusing. So should I go and learn how to awaken kudalini?
You should make up your mind what it is that you actually want. Do you want to practice Buddhism or not?

If you do, find a qualified Buddhist teacher whom you follow to the best of your abilities (i.e., practice the teachings you receive). If you want to practice Hinduism of whatever kind, then you find a qualified teacher of such a tradition. But don't mix things, that is doomed to fail.

At any rate, if you want to improve your concentration, then why not practice mindfulness? Not cool enough?
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

What he said. :thumbsup:
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong »

Kundalini is an inquenchable Fire, my advice is get enlightenment first then if you still want to awaken powers, etc. plus it’s not exactly a safe thing to do. It has symptoms identical with serotonin poisoning. Google that while you look up this topic. Anyway why bother, you can open Dharma Eye and Thousand Petal Lotus without any Hindu instruction. Check it out.
"We are magical animals that roam" ~ Roam
MatthewAngby

Post by MatthewAngby »

Norwegian wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:08 pm
MatthewAngby wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:56 pm Prolly got a bad rep here but I really need to ask this question. I was visiting a man who is physicquie and he tells me I should attain kundalini ( which I have found a center for it ). Well , it is a Hindu center that teaches it so I’m not sure if it is ok or not. I read and saw that kundalini can help me to have better concentration and achieve anything my mind wants - which is good for my dharma pratice because I was advised to pratice meditation on focusing. So should I go and learn how to awaken kudalini?
You should make up your mind what it is that you actually want. Do you want to practice Buddhism or not?

If you do, find a qualified Buddhist teacher whom you follow to the best of your abilities (i.e., practice the teachings you receive). If you want to practice Hinduism of whatever kind, then you find a qualified teacher of such a tradition. But don't mix things, that is doomed to fail.

At any rate, if you want to improve your concentration, then why not practice mindfulness? Not cool enough?
I tend to get headaches if I try mindfulness sometimes.. so I was thinking of another alternative
MatthewAngby

Post by MatthewAngby »

MiphamFan wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:07 pm Kundalini in new age Hindu centres is mostly hippie bullshit to scam you. The equivalent in Tibetan Buddhism tummo, but you need proper instructions for that.

Anyway you don't need all this stuff to concentrate on your school work, trust me, I wasted a lot of time in my youth on all kinds of self-help bullshit. If you want to improve your meditation, follow a teacher's structions and keep practising.
How come I get headeaches aft I focus on breath? How do u be aware of breathing?
MatthewAngby

Post by MatthewAngby »

SunWuKong wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:31 pm Kundalini is an inquenchable Fire, my advice is get enlightenment first then if you still want to awaken powers, etc. plus it’s not exactly a safe thing to do. It has symptoms identical with serotonin poisoning. Google that while you look up this topic. Anyway why bother, you can open Dharma Eye and Thousand Petal Lotus without any Hindu instruction. Check it out.
Aft enlightenment I tot you wouldn’t desire for these powers anymore ? Anyways after enlightenment , don’t u get all these powers automatically?
marting

Post by marting »

Go to a Kundalini yoga center and have fun. Make sure to talk and meet some people there.
Last edited by marting on Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marting

Post by marting »

SunWuKong wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:31 pm Kundalini is an inquenchable Fire, my advice is get enlightenment first then if you still want to awaken powers, etc. plus it’s not exactly a safe thing to do. It has symptoms identical with serotonin poisoning. Google that while you look up this topic. Anyway why bother, you can open Dharma Eye and Thousand Petal Lotus without any Hindu instruction. Check it out.
Kundalini is none of that. It's stretching with breathing and chanting.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

The point being that it is irrelevant in terms of Buddhadharma.

marting

Post by marting »

Simon E. wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:19 pm The point being that it is irrelevant in terms of Buddhadharma.
That doesn't help in his context. Getting off his computer, making friends, and getting some exercise is more important.
Motova

Post by Motova »

Your Kundalini will naturally awaken while practicing Dharma.
To become a rain man one must master the ten virtues and sciences.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

marting wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:26 pm
Simon E. wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:19 pm The point being that it is irrelevant in terms of Buddhadharma.
That doesn't help in his context. Getting off his computer, making friends, and getting some exercise is more important.
A fair point.

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Motova wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:28 pm Your Kundalini will naturally awaken while practicing Dharma.
Probably not. And that won't matter at all.

Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Would that be the vampire-wiccan-worldly dharmapala-lying down-with a private mala-kind of Kundalini?

Or should we wait until next week to add another adjective as your quest to avoid actually doing some Dharma practice gets ever more daft?

Do you have any idea how fortunate you are to have encountered the Dharma? Probably about as much idea as I had at your age, to be fair, but please just get stuck into what you have been shown. Nobody here can tell you how any of this stuff will feel for you or if it will work.

Story: I once worked alongside a woman who was appointed as Marketing Director to a UK college. She came from a tough US corporate background, the like of which these academics had never seen. She formulated a plan and gave them instructions. Of course, they were horrified - a manager who actually told academics to do things, attend events, talk to strangers? Fed up with their muttered mutiny she adapted the well-know NIke phrase 'Just Do It'.

She lined them up and, after a few minutes of their whittering, bellowed at them:
'Just Firkin DO IT ! '
After a few months, she no longer had to be pushy, and could quite amiably just say: 'JFDI' .

She was actually being compassionate, trying to save their jobs, and later, like me, dumped the high profile pressured marketing director's job, retired, and became an holistic therapist. (I dumped that and became a lazy git.)

So, I say to you, make a choice. And then...................'JFDI' !!
Last edited by Mantrik on Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

:lol: Tell him Y.

Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Simon E. wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:15 pm :lol: Tell him Y.
At the same age I wish I had known then what I know now, but even if I had I would have taken no notice at all of any advice about what to do. It's really healthy. :)

Just to turn the tables, at that your age, Matthew, I was exploring the Golden Dawn, OTO, Hinduism (as it was the tail end of the hippy era), Welsh mysticism and horror fiction such as Arthur Machen and William Hope Hodgson. So I'm no stranger to exploring the occult, religions etc. in my youth. I just wish I'd gone for more depth and less breadth.

I sense a thread coming on! lol :)
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

There's nothing wrong with going out and doing a yoga class, by and large the Kundalini publicly available is new agey, but as exercise very good for stuff like spinal health. It has nothing much to do with Dharma, but most of it is surface-y enough that I don't see it as interfering either. I actually picked up aspects (well, gross physical ones at least) of proper yogic breathing from kundalini, though I thought a lot of the stuff taught alongside it was fluffy nonsense.

Really you should just find a Buddhist teacher, learn some basics, and get out of your own ideas IMO, kind of jumping the gun by worrying about compatibility when you aren't even taking Dharma practice seriously in the first place.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong »

Hmmm, actually hatha yoga and tantric yoga may have originated in the Buddhist Vihara. That's what historians are beginning to point to. And I would not assume kundalini isn't a relevant topic, he may be onto something. Still, a few thousand hours of sitting practice should help to sort things out. Why the rush?
"We are magical animals that roam" ~ Roam

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”