Pathgate-Lama Dondrup Dorje.

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
florin

Pathgate-Lama Dondrup Dorje.

Post by florin »

http://www.pathgate.org/LamaDondrupDorje.html

Is this lama legit?
he seems to be endorsed by Penor Rinpoche.
I am asking this on behalf of some people who whould like to attend a retreat by him.
I am not familiar with Penor Rinpoches Sangha and who's who in their community.

Maybe some people here know more about their community and this particular lama.

Thanks.
ngodrup

Re: Pathgate-Lama Dondrup Dorje.

Post by ngodrup »

Should be ok.
Pero

Post by Pero »

I guess, but there is/was some controversy around him.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
ngodrup

Post by ngodrup »

Name one single Nyingma Lama free of controversy.

The only thing that might concern me is the implication that
he's a martial arts master. I just cannot imagine any of Penor
Rinpoche's monks having time to practice a martial art to that extent.
He may be intereted and /or open to it, but... maybe it's only
an exuberant overstatement!
Pero

Post by Pero »

ngodrup wrote:Name one single Nyingma Lama free of controversy.
Chatral Rinpoche.

But anyway, what? Is there really that much controversy around Nyingma Lamas? What kind? Around who? I'm not really aware of this stuff. But I remember from past discussions on E-Sangha and elsewhere about this Lama, though I don't recall any details.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
username

Post by username »

No controversy as such. Just martial arts stuff claims, dharma-wise he is OK. Penor had a good wisdom eye, he was a Buddha.
Dzogchen masters I know say: 1)Buddhist religion essence is Dzogchen 2)Religions are positive by intent/fruit 3)Any method's OK unless: breaking Dzogchen vows, mixed as syncretic (Milanese Soup) 4)Don't join mandalas of opponents of Dalai Lama/Padmasambhava: False Deity inventors by encouraging victims 5)Don't debate Ati with others 6)Don't discuss Ati practices online 7) A master told his old disciple: no one's to discuss his teaching with some others on a former forum nor mention him. Publicity's OK, questions are asked from masters/set teachers in person/email/non-public forums~Best wishes
Pero

Post by Pero »

username wrote:No controversy as such. Just martial arts stuff claims, dharma-wise he is OK. Penor had a good wisdom eye, he was a Buddha.
http://forum.rickross.com/read.php?4,11964
Aside from his first name, the only thing I ever heard Penor Rinpoche call Peter was a liar. This was during the summer retreat, where Rinpoche said he did not "take money from liars", and refused Peter's monetary offering in front of the entire group of retreatants.
- Shabkar
ngodrup

Post by ngodrup »

Pero wrote:
ngodrup wrote:Name one single Nyingma Lama free of controversy.
Chatral Rinpoche.

But anyway, what? Is there really that much controversy around Nyingma Lamas? What kind? Around who? I'm not really aware of this stuff. But I remember from past discussions on E-Sangha and elsewhere about this Lama, though I don't recall any details.
Ok you caught me on that. I was just saying that in general people flap their gums about
Nyingma Lamas because we are a heterogeneous bunch with a fair amount of eccentricity
thrown in. This is nothing new. There are plenty strait laced orthodox types within Buddhism
in general-- so there's always some gossip. We don't always look like some a priori... you know
what I mean? Ok so I exaggerated. My bad.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Dear Alpha,

I stumbled across Lama Dondrup when I was looking for a Nyingma group to practice with here in Greece. He asked me to take refuge from him even though I explained to him that I had already taken refuge from a Kagyu lama. But who am I to say no to refuge? Add another Dharma name to the list (and quite a nice one too!)

Anyway, can't say that I liked his style of teaching, but that is just personal preferences, also didn't like the pressure to learn tai-chi/chi-kung (I am a martial arts teachers with "black belts" in three different systems) and I found him too expensive for my means.

Positive things I got out of my relationship with him? He put me onto doing 100,000 vajra guru and eight line prayer accumulations (can't complain about that!) and I got a ritual reading and "explanation" of the heart sutra practice (also cannot complain about that!)

I don't go to the temple anymore coz he started to give a series of teachings on Ngondro practice and I had already started Kagyu Ngondro so...

If you want to find out if he is legit or not you would be best off writing/emailing to the Namdrolling Monastary instead on relying on interent Dharma gossip! ;)
:namaste:
...Penor had a good wisdom eye, he was a Buddha...
Must have been suffering from conjuncitvitis when he saw Steven Segal! :tongue:
bluesman%20steve%20segal.jpg
bluesman%20steve%20segal.jpg (25.02 KiB) Viewed 6197 times
Last edited by Grigoris on Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
florin

Post by florin »

In the meantime i have read other accounts from people who have met him...

After all ,the picture one gets is that a certain cautiousness is required here and some of his claims are dubious in the least.

thanks for the input.
username

Post by username »

I'm sure he's done more than lying. But he's brought hundreds into high dharma with his Kungfu crap and dharmic/personal money making activities. So Penor was right. Also I think Segal is a tulku of whoever from 17th century. He did good secret stuff way back when young and now puts little lines, nature of mind etc., in his movies seen by hundreds of millions before they are reborn as whatever in the universe. But I wouldn't leave a girlfriend with him! I also think Akhun lama lady is a legit tulku too, but wouldn't leave myself alone with her either, I have a bad reputation.
Dzogchen masters I know say: 1)Buddhist religion essence is Dzogchen 2)Religions are positive by intent/fruit 3)Any method's OK unless: breaking Dzogchen vows, mixed as syncretic (Milanese Soup) 4)Don't join mandalas of opponents of Dalai Lama/Padmasambhava: False Deity inventors by encouraging victims 5)Don't debate Ati with others 6)Don't discuss Ati practices online 7) A master told his old disciple: no one's to discuss his teaching with some others on a former forum nor mention him. Publicity's OK, questions are asked from masters/set teachers in person/email/non-public forums~Best wishes
heart

Post by heart »

username wrote:I'm sure he's done more than lying. But he's brought hundreds into high dharma with his Kungfu crap and dharmic/personal money making activities. So Penor was right. Also I think Segal is a tulku of whoever from 17th century. He did good secret stuff way back when young and now puts little lines, nature of mind etc., in his movies seen by hundreds of millions before they are reborn as whatever in the universe. But I wouldn't leave a girlfriend with him! I also think Akhun lama lady is a legit tulku too, but wouldn't leave myself alone with her either, I have a bad reputation.
:rolling:

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”