Ngakpas

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Malcolm

Re: Ngakpas

Post by Malcolm »

Grigoris wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:21 pm
Malcolm wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:12 pmThere is no real problem with encouraging people to recite things like the six syllable mantra or Arapacana since they are from sūtra and so do not require any special transmission.

However, it is more useful for such beginners to recite the Heart Sūtra.
Indeed, but practicing a (any) mantra like your life depends on it is exactly what is needed in the case of every mantra. You are overlooking the pedagogical aspect of my post in order to focus on procedural issues (irrelevancies in the case of tenma, who cannot focus on one thing for more than a millisecond). ;)

Now instead of focusing on the mantra mentioned, they will start to ask a string of useless questions regarding the Heart Sutra mantra and any chance of them applying themselves properly to a practice will vanish up their cavity once again.
Well, the real issue here is not whether to recite mantras, or not, but whether they have a teacher or not.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Malcolm wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:49 pmWell, the real issue here is not whether to recite mantras, or not, but whether they have a teacher or not.
Indeed it is.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

So, advice here is that there may be the need for either retreat or permission of your teacher before giving someone a lung of a mantra which is not sutric, and one Lama's recommendation of at least 100,000 repetitions.

I wonder what would happen if the clear stipulation was that you must have signs of attaining the function of any mantra before you are allowed to give to others.

And that, of course, brings us full circle back to having a teacher who can tell you when you have.
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
Josef

Post by Josef »

Mantrik wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:10 pm So, advice here is that there may be the need for either retreat or permission of your teacher before giving someone a lung of a mantra which is not sutric, and one Lama's recommendation of at least 100,000 repetitions.

I wonder what would happen if the clear stipulation was that you must have signs of attaining the function of any mantra before you are allowed to give to others.

And that, of course, brings us full circle back to having a teacher who can tell you when you have.
Many sadhanas indicate the signs, responsible and genuine practitioners should be able to determine for themselves what they are experiencing etc.
Im not saying that one shouldnt consult their teacher but I think we have a tendency to over-rely on our teachers when it comes to our practice and responsibility for upholding the transmission of the dharma.
If a practitioner receives empowerment, does the practice, and has signs of genuine experience, is asked to give the transmission, then they shouldnt be able to make the decision on whether or not to do so based upon their own relationship with the individual requesting and their willingness to take on the responsibility.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
heart

Post by heart »

Josef wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:40 pm
Mantrik wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:10 pm So, advice here is that there may be the need for either retreat or permission of your teacher before giving someone a lung of a mantra which is not sutric, and one Lama's recommendation of at least 100,000 repetitions.

Many sadhanas indicate the signs, responsible and genuine practitioners should be able to determine for themselves what they are experiencing etc.
Im not saying that one shouldnt consult their teacher but I think we have a tendency to over-rely on our teachers when it comes to our practice and responsibility for upholding the transmission of the dharma.
If a practitioner receives empowerment, does the practice, and has signs of genuine experience, is asked to give the transmission, then they shouldnt be able to make the decision on whether or not to do so based upon their own relationship with the individual requesting and their willingness to take on the responsibility.
So, are you saying that there is no need to get the permission the give empowerments from the master that actually gave you the empowerment? You can just decide for yourself when you are ready?

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

heart wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:15 pm

So, are you saying that there is no need to get the permission the give empowerments from the master that actually gave you the empowerment? You can just decide for yourself when you are ready?

/magnus
It depends on circumstances. When sentient beings ask for teachings, a bodhisattva gives them. The exception would be if one's own teacher was easily accessible.
heart

Post by heart »

Malcolm wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:45 pm

/magnus
It depends on circumstances. When sentient beings ask for teachings, a bodhisattva gives them. The exception would be if one's own teacher was easily accessible.

I might go along with that, but I am not sure that is what Joesph means. Anyway, I thought there was a lot of special teachings needed for giving other people transmissions?

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

heart wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:08 pm

/magnus

I might go along with that, but I am not sure that is what Joesph means. Anyway, I thought there was a lot of special teachings needed for giving other people transmissions?

/magnus

Depends on the teaching. But anyone who has been a chöpön, knows everything they need to know to give empowerments. Empowerments, in essence, are just ritual manuals.
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

"When sentient beings ask for teachings, a bodhisattva gives them."

Yes, but wouldn't you also say depending on whether the Teacher thinks the student(s) asking are ready for and capable of holding those teachings. One doesn't give a loaded gun to a toddler. In some cases it may be compassionate not to give certain, particular teachings to certain sentient beings.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

pemachophel wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:33 pm "When sentient beings ask for teachings, a bodhisattva gives them."

Yes, but wouldn't you also say depending on whether the Teacher thinks the student(s) asking are ready for and capable of holding those teachings. One doesn't give a loaded gun to a toddler. In some cases it may be compassionate not to give certain, particular teachings to certain sentient beings.

A teacher has to judge what a student is ready to receive. For this reason we default to the gradual path.
heart

Post by heart »

Malcolm wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:13 pm

/magnus

Depends on the teaching. But anyone who has been a chöpön, knows everything they need to know to give empowerments. Empowerments, in essence, are just ritual manuals.
If an empowerment was just a ritual performed well, what would be the point of receiving it?

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

Josef

Post by Josef »

/magnus
That's not what I said. I put quite a few qualifiers in there.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Josef

Post by Josef »

/magnus

/magnus
That's actually a big part of what I meant.
If one is a bodhisattva with the capacity to give certain teachings and transmissions and the circumstances are appropriate, they are given.
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

I'd go along with that if you received the sadhana and description of the signs etc from a qualified teacher, but not if you just found a sadhana and explanation on, say, Scribd, and persuaded yourself you were qualified to pass it on.
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
Josef

Post by Josef »

Mantrik wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:05 am

I'd go along with that if you received the sadhana and description of the signs etc from a qualified teacher, but not if you just found a sadhana and explanation on, say, Scribd, and persuaded yourself you were qualified to pass it on.
Of course.
Proper transmission is absolutely essential.
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

what makes it a 'lung' ?
If one just goes to a service and hears the mantras, is it a lung?
Josef

Post by Josef »

Fortyeightvows wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:28 am what makes it a 'lung' ?
If one just goes to a service and hears the mantras, is it a lung?
Intention on both sides makes it a lung. Just hearing a mantra doesn’t cut it.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

heart wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:41 pm
Malcolm wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:13 pm

/magnus

If an empowerment was just a ritual performed well, what would be the point of receiving it?

/magnus

It gives one permission to practice a specific path, that is the point of it. Basically, empowerments are a means of awakening. But if one does not awaken during the empowerment, than one has the sadhana method.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”