Have you changed Buddhist schools since joining DW?

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.

Have you changed schools since joining the Forum?

No, I haven't.
71%
Yes, I have, but it had nothing to do with the Forum.
7%
Yes, I have and I guess the Forum played a part. I changed from Tibetan to East Asian.
No votes
Yes, I have and I guess the Forum played a part. I changed from East Asian to Tibetan.
5%
Yes, I have and I guess the Forum played a part. I changed from Theravada to Mahayana.
5%
Yes, I have and I guess the Forum played a part. I changed from Mahayana to Theravada.
No votes
Yes, I have and I guess the Forum played a part. I changed within Vajrayana schools.
10%
Yes, I have and I guess the Forum played a part. I changed within the East Asian schools.
2%

Total votes: 58

Dan74
Former staff member

Have you changed Buddhist schools since joining DW?

Post by Dan74 »

I was wondering if there were much movement from one school to another among members here and whether the Forum plays a part. Please reply!!!

Many thanks!!
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Re: Have you changed Buddhist schools since joining DW?

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

For so many people I know, this would be a bit of a trick question.

I don't "do" Zen anymore, but I very much value my time in it, and if I found a Zendo with the right people, I'd be perfectly comfortable being there. It's the same within Tibetan traditions, I ended up preferring Dzogchen, but I still maintain ties to Sakya folks, maintain one of the practices I learned from them consistently, and very much consider them an important part of my Dharma education and community.

One can narrow down what one does, and still have an "open" view towards other Buddhist traditions as it were. I think the difference between a "shopper" and someone who is on the path is that they can see the difference between just picking up all these shiny objects, and never really doing anything with them, and actually making use of the opportunities their karma has brought them. I don't want to discard my experiences, but integrate them.

I thought Dzogchen was nonsense when I idirst read of it, and I received advice from this forum in other regards that was actually often contrary to what my teachers and mentors have say. Ultimately though it was a worthwhile journey because it enabled me to find certainty in some things I never would have even engaged with otherwise. People complain about the tone on DW, and sometimes it's a legitimate complaint, but sometimes it is karma actually being worked out, and IMO that should be not only respected, but valued.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
practitioner

Post by practitioner »

No, but I feel my knowledge and awareness of other schools has increased.
One should do nothing other than benefit sentient beings either directly or indirectly - Shantideva
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

practitioner wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:49 pm No, but I feel my knowledge and awareness of other schools has increased.
+1
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

Not really but have learned a lot about other perspectives and ideas I had never considered. I've particularly learned a lot about Pure Land due to the meticulous way in which those associated with it answer questions and link to resources about it. I still feel a basic affinity with Zen although I recognise that in my case, I'm mainly self-taught and loosely affiliated and that that is likely to remain the case.
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Wayfarer wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:30 am Not really but have learned a lot about other perspectives and ideas I had never considered. I've particularly learned a lot about Pure Land due to the meticulous way in which those associated with it answer questions and link to resources about it. I still feel a basic affinity with Zen although I recognise that in my case, I'm mainly self-taught and loosely affiliated and that that is likely to remain the case.
+1
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

In Vajrayana you may take teachings and empowerments from all of them, especially as life presents different opportunities, but I certainly changed the emphasis of my practice from Gelugpa to Nyingma and Dzogchen and my masters reflect that. If you totally abandon one and exclusively take up another, maybe 'change' makes sense as an action. I tend to think of all Gurus as one and the Vajrayana path as one.
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Yes, similar.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

I shifted my emphasis from Kagyu to Nyingmapa. The forum helped me by informing me of the presence of decent teachers.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

I have shifted from "just ChNNR" to Drikung Kagyu and ChNNR. Basically just found slightly more better approach for myself in order to develop.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

I have not.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

I haven't changed schools, I'm still primarily Theravada, however, it has changed me for the better. From practicing and studying and participating in online forums, I've adjusted my thinking for the better. When I first became Buddhist my thinking was Theravada = old, original; Mahayana = later, added teachings; but later I realized it's much more complicated and neither can stake claim to be the original and that there was a wide confluence of teachings that developed together and influenced each other.
Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

No, basically not. I have changed schools since E-Sangha, however. The inception of Dharma Wheel aligns with the time period when I was transitioning from Zen to Tibetan. I definitely look at E-Sangha as a major catalyst for my change from Zen to Tibetan, and actually for my initial foray into Zen and Buddhism in the first place.

I look at Loppon Malcolm's Abhidharmakosha class as the solidifying point of my transition from Zen to Tibetan. I had already been interested in studying Indian Mahayana works from my early days in Zen practice, but it was Malcolm's class on the Kosha (which incorporated some Dzogchen) that really put the nail in the coffin for me. I met my root teacher later that same year.

The Kosha class did essentially line up with the early days of Dharma Wheel, but I wouldn't have been interested in it had it not been for E-Sangha.
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

Karma Kagyu to begin with and now main focus on ChNNR's transmissions alongside Kagyu so not really a 'change'.

The forum has changed my views for the better on Pureland and also Nichiren in particular although I still don't know much about either.
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
Jeff H

Post by Jeff H »

I didn’t see a survey response that fit me. I came here with 10 years of Gelug lamrim and I was solidly Sutrayana. I had intentionally bracketed Tantra because the explanations I received about it indicated to me that it was beyond my capability. DW greatly expanded my awareness of Buddhist traditions and practitioners in general and helped me self-reflect on my Sutrayana journey. Malcolm, among others here, helped me see Dzogchen as the appropriate Vajrayana continuation of that journey. That process of change is still in its infancy. As others have stated, I revere all the prior involvements that have brought me to this place.
Where now is my mind engaged? - Shantideva
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

I was, and remain, a staunch Hahayanist.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

Post by A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha »

dzogchungpa wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:34 pm I was, and remain, a staunch Hahayanist.
:jumping:

I still don't know what I am....but i love everything. ..it was always my problem in life that I couldn't focus on one thing...I had so many interests.....but i think i shifted more now towards dzogchen....But i think the VAJRACAKRA forum was the initial catalyst ...but DW has also been instrumental in my inspiration to keep going.....i've been in limbo so many times...
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

Post by A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha »

dzogchungpa wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:54 pm I think the Hahayana might be a good fit for you.
Yes......but my straight jacket is a little too tight :crying:
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

practitioner wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:49 pm No, but I feel my knowledge and awareness of other schools has increased.
Yes. I wanted to say that also.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

DNS wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:03 pm I haven't changed schools, I'm still primarily Theravada, however, it has changed me for the better. From practicing and studying and participating in online forums, I've adjusted my thinking for the better. When I first became Buddhist my thinking was Theravada = old, original; Mahayana = later, added teachings; but later I realized it's much more complicated and neither can stake claim to be the original and that there was a wide confluence of teachings that developed together and influenced each other.
:heart:

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”