Donating one's organs at death

tingdzin

Re: Donating one's organs at death

Post by tingdzin »

One of my teachers said that one's body should not be disturbed for three days after death if at all possible. This is not possible in many jurisdictions, though, and I'm not sure how this would play out in the realm of organ donation.

I have reservations about it also because the whole process, in many jurisdictions, is loaded with the same corruption and favoritism that pervades the modern world.
Josef

Post by Josef »

tingdzin wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:53 pm One of my teachers said that one's body should not be disturbed for three days after death if at all possible. This is not possible in many jurisdictions, though, and I'm not sure how this would play out in the realm of organ donation.

I have reservations about it also because the whole process, in many jurisdictions, is loaded with the same corruption and favoritism that pervades the modern world.
If we make arrangements to die in our own homes or the home of a loved one the "authorities" can't really do anything to interfere.
It's none of their business and they dont need to know anything about it.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
tingdzin

Post by tingdzin »

Josef wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:17 pm f we make arrangements to die in our own homes or the home of a loved one the "authorities" can't really do anything to interfere.
Ideally, yes; sometimes there have been problems when deaths have not been reported in a timely enough fashion for the authorities. There are a lot of laws governing such things in various American jurisdictions.
Josef

Post by Josef »

tingdzin wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:43 pm
Josef wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:17 pm f we make arrangements to die in our own homes or the home of a loved one the "authorities" can't really do anything to interfere.
Ideally, yes; sometimes there have been problems when deaths have not been reported in a timely enough fashion for the authorities. There are a lot of laws governing such things in various American jurisdictions.
There are a lot of laws. Unjust ones, many of which are worth little more than ignoring.
But then again, I'm a bit outside of the mainstream in my feelings about American legal interventions in my life. I live on some of the most remote outskirts of the collapsing empire and am about to embark on an even more significant venture toward independence in the woods.
When I die, nobody will be touching me except for the insects who share the land.
And, if the authorities came to ones home days after you had died it is extremely unlikely that they would file any charges and open the door to a major lawsuit for infringing on religious freedom.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
tingdzin

Post by tingdzin »

Yes, your approach may be the best for avoiding such post-mortem complications.
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

Q: Is it a good idea for Buddhists to donate their organs after death?

A: Donating organs after death is not as good as donating them while you're still alive—then it's for real! If you don't donate them until you're dead and can't use them anymore, what's the use? As it's said, "Don't give to others what you yourself don't want."

-Venerable Master Hsuan Hua
Aku

Post by Aku »

What is the use for an organ transplant if the karmic cause of the illness is not exhausted? Just prolonging your suffering life...
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Aku wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:55 am What is the use for an organ transplant if the karmic cause of the illness is not exhausted? Just prolonging your suffering life...
If you receive and organ transplant and it works then the karmic cause of the illness is exhausted. Receiving or not receiving an organ transplant (and the body accepting or rejecting the transplant)is also based on karma.

As for the suffering: First Noble Truth dude.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Aku

Post by Aku »

[/quote]If you receive and organ transplant and it works then the karmic cause of the illness is exhausted. Receiving or not receiving an organ transplant (and the body accepting or rejecting the transplant)is also based on karma.

As for the suffering: First Noble Truth dude.
[/quote]

Well, how much time is it effective? The cause for incurable disease is there for quite a long time. They just delay their expiating suffering. Think what happens to the transplant recipient after death... That kind of despair for life. I saw some blood transfusion patients, and they are not happy. Might appear as side note> I sometimes wonder how new technology affects past karma effects. With all this instant communication, fast transport, medicine with all the side-effects. Do you imagine? They try doing head transplants ...
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Aku wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:45 amWell, how much time is it effective? The cause for incurable disease is there for quite a long time. They just delay their expiating suffering. Think what happens to the transplant recipient after death... That kind of despair for life. I saw some blood transfusion patients, and they are not happy. Might appear as side note> I sometimes wonder how new technology affects past karma effects. With all this instant communication, fast transport, medicine with all the side-effects. Do you imagine? They try doing head transplants ...
New technology exists because of karma.

For how long a transplant is effective is kind of irrelevant because anything (and everything) that is born, dies. Dependent Origination dude.

That doesn't mean we should not work on prolonging our life span. Otherwise we may just as well off ourselves, right?

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
Aku

Post by Aku »

[/quote]New technology exists because of karma.

For how long a transplant is effective is kind of irrelevant because anything (and everything) that is born, dies. Dependent Origination dude.

That doesn't mean we should not work on prolonging our life span. Otherwise we may just as well off ourselves, right?
[/quote]

New tech? Whose karma? The inventors or... Do you know? Musicians, writers, inventors, movie makers and all of us pay for their creative work. And this touching of millions and billions of human lives... It's hard to infer where one would get because of these.
So, you say tech is a karmic effect. Do we all deserve a plentiful life? In some way I agree with your fist statement, but there is always new karma being created. Let's think a bit about one who extinguished all flaws, achieved quasi-perfection of body, speech and mind, fully healthy, always using the right words, even tone and mind beyond brilliant. If all was a product of past karma, we would be inertial beings, with no effort to be made...
Berry

Post by Berry »

Grigoris wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:49 am
Aku wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:45 amWell, how much time is it effective? The cause for incurable disease is there for quite a long time. They just delay their expiating suffering. Think what happens to the transplant recipient after death... That kind of despair for life. I saw some blood transfusion patients, and they are not happy. Might appear as side note> I sometimes wonder how new technology affects past karma effects. With all this instant communication, fast transport, medicine with all the side-effects. Do you imagine? They try doing head transplants ...
New technology exists because of karma.

:good:
Leave the polluted water of conceptual thoughts in its natural clarity. Without affirming or denying appearances, leave them as they are. When there is neither acceptance nor rejection, mind is liberated into mahāmudra.

~ Tilopa
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Aku wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:20 amNew tech? Whose karma? The inventors or... Do you know? Musicians, writers, inventors, movie makers and all of us pay for their creative work. And this touching of millions and billions of human lives... It's hard to infer where one would get because of these.
I don't need to see the specific karma to know that karma is the source. If karma does not create technology, culture, etc... Then what does?
Do we all deserve a plentiful life?
Deserve? Who said anything about "deserve"?
In some way I agree with your fist statement, but there is always new karma being created.
Yes, I didn't say anything to the contrary, but I still fail to see your point.
If all was a product of past karma...
What exists now is a product of past karma, what will exist in the future is a product of present karma. Seems to be you do not understand the meaning of the term "karma".

Aku

Post by Aku »

To Grigoris>
How is freedom possible in such a mechanistical view? In a world where the flap of a butterfly's wing could do your fate... There's more to it.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Aku wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:22 pm To Grigoris>
How is freedom possible in such a mechanistical view? In a world where the flap of a butterfly's wing could do your fate... There's more to it.
Your example of the butterfly's wing is an example of the lack of freedom. I am here having breakfast thinking I am free and self-regulating and some Udaspes folus stitting on a turmeric flower in Japan flaps it's wings to rid itself of the stench of it's flatulence and Grigoris is suddenly on the floor with a weetbix lodged in his trachea dying of suffocation. So much for my freedom...

Aku

Post by Aku »

I have a musical answer to you.

And for those who want to grasp the dependent origination>

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Aku wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:46 pm I have a musical answer to you.

*media*
Yes, well everything is crystal clear now, that's for sure... :roll:

Aku

Post by Aku »

I could keep it on like that 8-)

Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

Aku wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:57 pm I could keep it on like that 8-)
Please don't.
Berry

Post by Berry »

Norwegian wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:14 pm
Aku wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:57 pm I could keep it on like that 8-)
Please don't.

+1
Leave the polluted water of conceptual thoughts in its natural clarity. Without affirming or denying appearances, leave them as they are. When there is neither acceptance nor rejection, mind is liberated into mahāmudra.

~ Tilopa

Return to “Dzogchen”