Is Katha Unorthodox?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Tenma

Is Katha Unorthodox?

Post by Tenma »

I was just recently trying out kathas as an aftermath for the practice(like how one prays to protectors after completing a sadhana), especially protective paritta chants. So I recited a paritta chant used by monks since Theravada doesn't have any form of empowerment and followed what the Dhammawheel.com people said, but after chanting the paritta, I just got down with a sore throat and when I continued with parittas the next day, I got the flu. I am now worried that the protectors or main deity of the lineage/tradition of the sadhana isn't too pleased with this "mixture" of traditions by reciting kathas after finishing a sadhana. Is this so or what? How can one fix this? What do these signs mean?
PeterC

Re: Is Katha Unorthodox?

Post by PeterC »

Tenma wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:19 am I was just recently trying out kathas as an aftermath for the practice(like how one prays to protectors after completing a sadhana), especially protective paritta chants. So I recited a paritta chant used by monks since Theravada doesn't have any form of empowerment and followed what the Dhammawheel.com people said, but after chanting the paritta, I just got down with a sore throat and when I continued with parittas the next day, I got the flu. I am now worried that the protectors or main deity of the lineage/tradition of the sadhana isn't too pleased with this "mixture" of traditions by reciting kathas after finishing a sadhana. Is this so or what? How can one fix this? What do these signs mean?
This sounds serious. The correct approach to fix this is rest, liquids, and a trip to the doctor if the flu continues for more than a few days.
tranides

Post by tranides »

PeterC wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:12 am
Tenma wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:19 am I was just recently trying out kathas as an aftermath for the practice(like how one prays to protectors after completing a sadhana), especially protective paritta chants. So I recited a paritta chant used by monks since Theravada doesn't have any form of empowerment and followed what the Dhammawheel.com people said, but after chanting the paritta, I just got down with a sore throat and when I continued with parittas the next day, I got the flu. I am now worried that the protectors or main deity of the lineage/tradition of the sadhana isn't too pleased with this "mixture" of traditions by reciting kathas after finishing a sadhana. Is this so or what? How can one fix this? What do these signs mean?
This sounds serious. The correct approach to fix this is rest, liquids, and a trip to the doctor if the flu continues for more than a few days.
:good: :D
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

If the sadhana requires a protector practice it will contain it and you will receive it from the Guru. If it doesn't then uttering some unconnected stuff from a totally different source is at best worthless.
Choose your Refuge, choose your path and get on with it instead of leaping around hoping that moving sideways and grabbing whatever you fall across will somehow move you forwards. So far, from what I see here, you have made zero progress by practising the way you are.
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

I would go with PeterC's advice.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”