US and Allies Launch Strikes on Syria

The best place for discussion of current events. News about Buddhists and Buddhism is particularly welcome.
Kunga Lhadzom

Re: US and Allies Launch Strikes on Syria

Post by Kunga Lhadzom » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:11 am

Snowbear wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:02 am
Kunga Lhadzom wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:54 pm
Snowbear wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:49 pm
leakers should be prosecuted. Period.
How about if the government is hiding mind blowing information regarding contact with extraterrestrials.......
I think humanity has a right to know....
If the US government can't be competent enough to protect its secrets, it would be chicken fodder to its adversaries who do have that advantage. Irresponsible things like this should not happen.

I agree with THIS totally :

But there is simply no excuse for exposing the names of covert operatives. These individuals are risking their lives for our country, and their anonymity is as critical to their safety as body armor is to an infantry soldier. To take away that cloak of secrecy, especially in the absence of any suggestion of wrongdoing, exposes them to grave danger — and endangers the security of all Americans.
The Universe flowing through my veins...stars falling from my eyes......rocks rolling in my head...lemon juice dripping down my chin....

https://drunklotus.blog

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:17 am

Snowbear wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:10 am
Malcolm wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:09 am
Snowbear wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:08 am

It's always difficult to balance free press and national security for a democracy, but I think national security should trump free press almost every time.
I don’t, that path leads to fascism.
I think the US is balancing it fairly well.

With respect to whistle blowing, the gvt. has to prove harm, but the press should never be stifled no matter what happens to whistleblowers. That is why the first amendment in the Bill of Rights is first.

On the other hand revealing sources and methods is not protected by free speech, nor should it be.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

Snowbear

Post by Snowbear » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:21 am

Malcolm wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:17 am
Snowbear wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:10 am
Malcolm wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:09 am

I don’t, that path leads to fascism.
I think the US is balancing it fairly well.

With respect to whistle blowing, the gvt. has to prove harm, but the press should never be stifled no matter what happens to whistleblowers. That is why the first amendment in the Bill of Rights is first.
Ah, I agree.

Ogyen

Post by Ogyen » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:40 am

Malcolm wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:17 am
Immediately followed by the right to bear arms. The second amendment, just in case the first goes south.

Just kiddin'... :stirthepot:

And yes, this is true... without intent there is no crime. You have to prove intent. Which is why WikiLeaks is so sticky to prosecute ...with publishing laws and all...
Image Made from 100% recycled karma

The Heart Drive - nosce te ipsum

"To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget." –Arundhati Roy

mañjughoṣamaṇi

Post by mañjughoṣamaṇi » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:09 am

DbOhHPoW0AAW7r-.jpg
DbOhHPoW0AAW7r-.jpg (30.29 KiB) Viewed 607 times
སེམས་རྣམ་པར་གྲོལ་བར་བྱའི་ཕྱིར་བྱམས་པ་བསྒོམ་པར་བྱའོ།
“In order to completely liberate the mind, cultivate loving kindness.” -- Maitribhāvana Sūtra

"The bottom always falls out of the quest for the elementary. The irreducibly individual recedes like the horizon, as our analysis advances." -- Genesis, Michel Serres

Dan74
Founding Member

Post by Dan74 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:56 am

Malcolm wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:29 pm
Dan74 wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:26 pm
Again the unnecessary comparison to Russia only underscore the paucity of the argument. Russia does not have free media, no one seriously pretends that it does. But intelligent people like Malcolm still apparently think that the US media are free.

The groupthink they exhibit on a whole host of issues is clearly a result of freedom of thought... yeah..
We have a free press in the US. CNN, Fox, MSNBC are not the press.
Oh you mean as long as you have no perceptible influence, you can say what you want. Russia has such freedoms as well. See Novaya Gazeta, for instance.

Again, overall the US has more freedoms, no doubt for me, but...

Maybe worth it for folks to look up Domhoff (who runs America) and Chomsky's Manufacturing Consent.

Ogyen

Post by Ogyen » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:05 am

Malcolm wrote:
A huge problem is... How many people know/don't know this.... Free press doesn't mean much if it's hard to identify. The majority isn't sufficiently educated to distinguish between free press and MSNBC. So CNN, Fox, MSNBC may as well be the de facto news source to a huge number of people.

This very thread illustrates clearly the confusion in a tiny random population sample... Ok maybe not so random, there are some definite criteria to being a Buddhist....
1230.jpg
1230.jpg (27.21 KiB) Viewed 583 times
Source: https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/ ... e_btn_link
Image Made from 100% recycled karma

The Heart Drive - nosce te ipsum

"To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget." –Arundhati Roy

PeterC

Post by PeterC » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:25 am

Ogyen wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:05 am
Malcolm wrote:
A huge problem is... How many people know/don't know this.... Free press doesn't mean much if it's hard to identify. The majority isn't sufficiently educated to distinguish between free press and MSNBC. So CNN, Fox, MSNBC may as well be the de facto news source to a huge number of people.

This very thread illustrates clearly the confusion in a tiny random population sample... Ok maybe not so random, there are some definite criteria to being a Buddhist....

1230.jpg

Sadly freedom of the press in the US has become a pointless freedom, due to the general toothlessness of the broadcast media and the inability of a majority of the population to distinguish between credible news sources and entertainment.

However most Americans have no idea what a society with controlled media is like - perhaps that is why they didn’t value theirs more

Snowbear

Post by Snowbear » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:14 am

Dan74 wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:56 am
Malcolm wrote:
Dan74 wrote:
Again the unnecessary comparison to Russia only underscore the paucity of the argument. Russia does not have free media, no one seriously pretends that it does. But intelligent people like Malcolm still apparently think that the US media are free.

The groupthink they exhibit on a whole host of issues is clearly a result of freedom of thought... yeah..
Oh you mean as long as you have no perceptible influence, you can say what you want. Russia has such freedoms as well. See Novaya Gazeta, for instance.

Maybe worth it for folks to look up Domhoff (who runs America) and Chomsky's Manufacturing Consent.
Sometimes I wish people stopped thinking Chomsky is interesting in anything other than linguistics...

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:18 am

Freedomhouse: when your government tells you that you are free. :rolling:

You guys crack me up.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:22 am

Malcolm wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:02 pm
This obviously has not happened.
Bush: just happened to be the longest running director of the CIA and then by chance got his son elected after bringing down Clinton because he had extra-marital sex. No deep state here people, just move along.

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."

Dan74
Founding Member

Post by Dan74 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:34 am

Snowbear wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:14 am
Dan74 wrote:
Malcolm wrote:

Sometimes I wish people stopped thinking Chomsky is interesting in anything other than linguistics...
Sometimes I wish glib one-liner putdowns of a public intellectual happened less on a Buddhist forum, where folks are kinda expected to have a modicum of self-awareness and realise that it stinks of ego from a mile... But hey, we all know this is just a fun pissing-contest, don't we? :juggling:

mañjughoṣamaṇi

Post by mañjughoṣamaṇi » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:05 am

Snowbear wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:14 am
Actually Herman was the main contributor to Manufacturing Consent. Chomsky's independent work is not as well argued as Herman's is. That being said, manufacturing consent offers a strong analysis.

Chomsky isn't actually very interesting vis-a-vis linguistics, he was just well funded for a good period time and purged a lot of departments of advocates of opposing approaches in linguistics. Ironically enough, and this has been noted by many historians of linguistics, philology and philosophy of language, Chomsky and his major proponents in academia used many of the methods he and Herman write about in their project of achieving hegemony in the discipline of linguistics.
“In order to completely liberate the mind, cultivate loving kindness.” -- Maitribhāvana Sūtra

"The bottom always falls out of the quest for the elementary. The irreducibly individual recedes like the horizon, as our analysis advances." -- Genesis, Michel Serres

mañjughoṣamaṇi

Post by mañjughoṣamaṇi » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:06 am

PeterC wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:25 am
Sadly freedom of the press in the US has become a pointless freedom, due to the general toothlessness of the broadcast media and the inability of a majority of the population to distinguish between credible news sources and entertainment.

However most Americans have no idea what a society with controlled media is like - perhaps that is why they didn’t value theirs more
:good:

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:23 pm

Grigoris wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:22 am
Malcolm wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:02 pm
This obviously has not happened.
Bush: just happened to be the longest running director of the CIA and then by chance got his son elected after bringing down Clinton because he had extra-marital sex. No deep state here people, just move along.
Clinton was not brought down. He served the maximum term a president can serve— 8 years.

Bush II was elected because Gore was an incompetent candidate, and was unable win a clear margin in the polls.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:32 pm

Dan74 wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
Dan74 wrote:

Dan, the NYT is the most influential newspaper in the world. People don’t watch CNN etc., for news, they watch it for sport and cheerleading, opinion pages on steroids perhaps, but they are not news.

With respect to Chomsky, he is just a raducal celebrity, not a journalist, free if the obligation to fact check his sources— Hannity of the left, also given to unsound conspiracy theories and so on.

As for Domhoff, it is no mystery that Anglo—American Liberal Democracy and Capitalism go hand in hand.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:53 pm

Ogyen wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:05 am
Malcolm wrote:

1230.jpg

You will note that CNN, etc are on the less trusted side.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:56 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:23 pm
Clinton was not brought down. He served the maximum term a president can serve— 8 years.
Yup. After being impeached and then having the decision overturned by the Senate.
Bush II was elected because Gore was an incompetent candidate, and was unable win a clear margin in the polls.
Seems the Democrats have a nasty habit of running incompetent candidates at the worst possible times... ;)

Return to “News & Current Events”