US and Allies Launch Strikes on Syria

The best place for discussion of current events. News about Buddhists and Buddhism is particularly welcome.
Malcolm

Re: US and Allies Launch Strikes on Syria

Post by Malcolm » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:57 pm

Grigoris wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:18 am
Freedomhouse: when your government tells you that you are free. :rolling:

You guys crack me up.
Freedom House is independent, not part of the US govt.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:07 pm

Grigoris wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:56 pm
Malcolm wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:23 pm
Clinton was not brought down. He served the maximum term a president can serve— 8 years.
Yup. Afetr being impeached and then having the decision overturned by the Senate.
Bush II was elected because Gore was an incompetent candidate, and was unable win a clear margin in the polls.
Seems the Democrats have a nasty habit of running incompetent candidates at the worst possible times... ;)
As for the first point, Clinton was impeached for perjury and obstruction of justice. The House rightly found him quilty, and he was acquitted on appeal to the Senate. It was, in my opinion, a bad decision. But it is History.

The Democratic Party has no ideological core, unlike the GOP. They generally only win in recessions and depressions. When people are fat and content, they usually vote in the GOP to cut taxes, a recession inevitably ensues, and the Dems find themselves back in office.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:58 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:57 pm
Grigoris wrote:

You guys crack me up.
Questionnaire:

How independent can an organisation set up by a President of the U$ be?

A) Not independent at all.
B) Really not independent at all.
C) Manipulated as hell.
D) Really manipulated as hell.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:03 pm

Grigoris wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:58 pm
Malcolm wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:57 pm
Grigoris wrote:

You guys crack me up.
Questionnaire:

How independent can an organisation set up by a President of the U$ be?

A) Not independent at all.
B) Really not independent at all.
C) Manipulated as hell.
D) Really manipulated as hell.
This, Greg, is exactly the logical fallacy called "poisoning the well." Check your facts first.
The organization was originally founded to counter American isolationism during World War II, and played a role in pushing the United States to get involved. Formed to confront Nazism, Freedom House expanded its role after World War II, promoting trans-Atlantic partnerships and vehemently opposing McCarthyism.

In 1947, Freedom House urged New York Governor Thomas E. Dewey to create a state university that would “accept all qualified students regardless of race, color or place of habitation.” (Dewey would later sign legislation that created the State University of New York.) This marked the beginning of the role Freedom House would play in the civil rights movements.

Bayard Rustin, the organizer of the March on Washington, served as the chairman of Freedom House’s Executive committee, and was part of the organization throughout the ’70s and ’80s. Also among Freedom House’s leadership was the notable civil rights leader Roy Wilkins, executive director of the NAACP during the critical years of the Civil Rights movement.
https://www.activistfacts.com/organizat ... dom-house/
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

Ogyen

Post by Ogyen » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:31 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:53 pm
Ogyen wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:05 am
Malcolm wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:29 pm
We have a free press in the US. CNN, Fox, MSNBC are not the press.
A huge problem is... How many people know/don't know this.... Free press doesn't mean much if it's hard to identify. The majority isn't sufficiently educated to distinguish between free press and MSNBC. So CNN, Fox, MSNBC may as well be the de facto news source to a huge number of people.

This very thread illustrates clearly the confusion in a tiny random population sample... Ok maybe not so random, there are some definite criteria to being a Buddhist....

1230.jpg

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/ ... e_btn_link
You will note that CNN, etc are on the less trusted side.
Oh I did, AND I was a little surprised the NYT is on the barely over 50% trusted. Somehow I expected it to rank closer to the economist...
Image Made from 100% recycled karma

The Heart Drive - nosce te ipsum

"To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget." –Arundhati Roy

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:42 pm

Ogyen wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:31 pm
Malcolm wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:53 pm
Ogyen wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:05 am

A huge problem is... How many people know/don't know this.... Free press doesn't mean much if it's hard to identify. The majority isn't sufficiently educated to distinguish between free press and MSNBC. So CNN, Fox, MSNBC may as well be the de facto news source to a huge number of people.

This very thread illustrates clearly the confusion in a tiny random population sample... Ok maybe not so random, there are some definite criteria to being a Buddhist....

1230.jpg

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/ ... e_btn_link
You will note that CNN, etc are on the less trusted side.
Oh I did, AND I was a little surprised the NYT is on the barely over 50% trusted. Somehow I expected it to rank closer to the economist...
Well, the poll was run in England, not the US. In the US, because of Trumpistas, the "Failing" New York Times would be even lower.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

yagmort

Post by yagmort » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:43 pm

there is no evidence that Assad ever used gas on his own people. it's all fabricated to justify usa actions. the recent video has been shot with guys/kids who been forced to do a video and have been paid with food after. iraq, lybia, syria, yemen... how many more lies do you need to see the same pattern?

that's 1,5 old but still relevant

all open-minded people who want to think for themselves i also suggest jimmy dore show on youtube.

here's his idea on recent bombing

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:00 pm

yagmort wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:43 pm
there is no evidence that Assad ever used gas on his own people. it's all fabricated to justify usa actions. the recent video has been shot with guys/kids who been forced to do a video and have been paid with food after. iraq, lybia, syria, yemen... how many more lies do you need to see the same pattern?
You have some corroboration for your claim? I suppose the Parkland kids are all crisis actors too.

In any case, for those who actually follow qualified journalism, and not conspiracy theorists of the right and the left:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-24130181

Then there is this report from Human Rights Watch:

https://www.hrw.org/sites/default/files ... _web_1.pdf

And a UN info graphic depicting where and by whom chemical weapons have been used in Syria, according to reliable evidence the UN was able to gather. As the legend notes, it does not cover all reported instances of chemical weapons used in Syria.

Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

Ogyen

Post by Ogyen » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:15 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:00 pm
And a UN info graphic depicting where and by whom chemical weapons have been used in Syria, according to reliable evidence the UN was able to gather. As the legend notes, it does not cover all reported instances of chemical weapons used in Syria.

I'm vaguely shocked what's reported in this graphic is less in frequency than the american mass shootings in 2018 alone, let alone since 2013.. having a moment of cognitive dissonance.

:shock:
Last edited by Ogyen on Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget." –Arundhati Roy

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:17 pm

Ogyen wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:15 pm
Malcolm wrote:

I'm vaguely shocked what reported in this graphic is less in frequency than the american mass school shootings in 2018 alone, let alone since 2013.. having a moment of cognitive dissonance.
These are merely the instances of uses of chemical weapons for which the investigators could gather actual evidence. There are many more.

Even so, gun issues in the US are not relevant to this topic.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

Ogyen

Post by Ogyen » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:22 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:17 pm
My bad for not being clear, my reference wasn't towards gun issues, but life lost and the mobilizing of forces for x-amounts of lives lost or at stake.

Every intervention is a huge cost both in resources and manpower. Aside from the unrelated legislative politic, and the different contexts for conflicts, I was merely considering this (or trying to) from a numbers standpoint of innocent people killed, and related expenditures of time energy and resources to meet those.

It was not a thought in linear logic.

:focus:

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:38 pm

Ogyen wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:22 pm
Malcolm wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:17 pm
My bad for not being clear, my reference wasn't towards gun issues, but life lost and the mobilizing of forces for x-amounts of lives lost or at stake.

Every intervention is a huge cost both in resources and manpower. Aside from the unrelated legislative politic, and the different contexts for conflicts, I was merely considering this (or trying to) from a numbers standpoint of innocent people killed, and related expenditures of time energy and resources to meet those.

It was not a thought in linear logic.
We have, as a world, agreed that guns are "legal" weapons of military violence. We have, as a world, agreed that chemical weapons are not legal weapons of military violence. It is solely for this reason this discussion is important.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:10 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:03 pm
This, Greg, is exactly the logical fallacy called "poisoning the well." Check your facts first.
I guess you missed this fact from the first sentence of the "About Us" page of the organisation itself:
Freedom House was established in 1941 in New York City. Its creation was a result of a merger of two groups that had been formed, with the quiet encouragement of President Franklin D. Roosevelt, to encourage popular support for American involvement in World War II at a time when isolationist sentiments were running high in the United States.
https://freedomhouse.org/content/our-history

As for the site activistfacts.com the first sentence of their "About Us" page states":
This site, created by the Center for Organizational Research and Education (CORE), is committed to providing detailed and up-to-date information about organizations and activists.
https://www.activistfacts.com/about/
Now CORE, well, here is some interesting background about CORE:
The Center for Organizational Research and Education (CORE), formerly the Center for Consumer Freedom (CCF) and prior to that the Guest Choice Network, is an American non-profit entity founded by Richard Berman that lobbies on behalf of the fast food, meat, alcohol and tobacco industries. It describes itself as "dedicated to protecting consumer choices and promoting common sense." Experts on non-profit law have questioned the validity of the group's non-profit status in The Chronicle of Philanthropy and other publications,while commentators from Rachel Maddow to Michael Pollan have treated the group as an entity that specializes in astroturfing.

The organization has been critical of organizations including the Centers for Disease Control, the Center for Science in the Public Interest, Mothers Against Drunk Driving, The Humane Society of the United States, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, and the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine.
A little background on Richard Berman reveals:
After law school, Berman worked as a labor law attorney for Bethlehem Steel, and from 1969 to 1972 he served as a corporate lawyer for Dana, an automotive parts company in Toledo, Ohio. From 1972 to 1974 he was employed as labor law director of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce in Washington, D.C.
Looks like the circle opens and closes with the U$ government.

Doesn't take much digging to reach the sh*t.

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."

yagmort

Post by yagmort » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:28 pm

Malcolm wrote:
...qualified journalism, and not conspiracy theorists...
Eva Bartlett's "conspiracy theorists"? yeah, right on UN...

HRW 'analysis' is a fabrication.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/syria-huma ... on/5366987

https://www.telesurtv.net/english/blogg ... -0001.html

here's the guy from Pink Floyd band on White Helmets..

and here's russian war journalist who actually was there, at the very place of supposed gas attack, again White Helmets

either way, i suppose you don't get your opinion by accident so i guess there is no point in any further arguing, i'd rather just leave you there opinionated.

and those who want to see other side of things which are not covered by us propaganda can look into those videos and think for themselves and then research further on by themselves, everybody got their own brain.

nbc, bbc etc are all liers.. they are all controlled by deep state:

above all, look who advocate war by spreading lies.

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:30 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:38 pm
We have, as a world, agreed that guns are "legal" weapons of military violence. We have, as a world, agreed that chemical weapons are not legal weapons of military violence. It is solely for this reason this discussion is important.
Which just goes to show how arbitrary legality is. Mind you, in the U$ people find it completely legal and justifiable to kill prisoners with chemicals (lethal injection and lethal gas), so...

Personally I would like to see all types of killing stop. I think that would be way more logical.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:37 pm

yagmort wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:28 pm

This is what a brain looks like on conspiracy theories.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

Mantrik

Post by Mantrik » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:52 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:37 pm
yagmort wrote:

This is what a brain looks like on conspiracy theories.
I often wondered if Icke and his forums forums are now spouting the words of the Russian troll factories......but then that would be a conspiracy theory too!
http://www.khyung.com

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:55 pm

Grigoris wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:10 pm
Malcolm wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:03 pm
All your "fact" digging does is try and poison the well further.

Are any of the facts reported by the website I posted false?

Is it false that Freedom House was instrumental in Dewey's creation of SUNY?

Is it false that Bayard Rustin was chairmen of Freedom House?

Is it false that Roy WIlkins was part of Freedom House?

Is it false that Freedom House was against isolationism and America First?

Is it false that Freedom House was opposed to McCarthyism?

If none of these facts are false, than Richard Berman's CORE is complete irrelevant to them. They are basically lifted from this Wiki page which also contains criticisms of the organization:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_House

As a 501(c)3 in the US, their books are completely open to public scrutiny. A large percentage of their funding comes from the US State Department. This, for me, is no problem. Since they are grounded in an anti-communist perspective, for you they will be a big problem.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:03 pm

yagmort wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
...qualified journalism, and not conspiracy theorists...
Eva Bartlett's "conspiracy theorists"? yeah, right on UN...
Eva Bartlett is not a journalist. Patrick Worrall of Channel 4 debunks her here:
Eva Bartlett is a Canadian citizen who describes herself as an “independent writer and rights activist”.

She writes a blog for the state-funded Russian media outlet Russia Today and is candid about her support for the regime of Bashar al-Assad, who is fighting Syrian rebels with Russian and Iranian help.
https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck ... n-children
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

yagmort

Post by yagmort » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:06 pm

Mantrik wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:52 pm
...spouting the words of the Russian troll factories...
you do realise that the whole "russian troll factories" can very well might be just as brainwashing as you think Ickes ideas can be, don't you? did you see the "Sinclair's script for stations" video? Please watch it and ask yourself how is that possible if they are not controlled and obeyed to deliver the same script? did you see Eva Bartlett's report? no need to answer and confront me, i just ask you and everyone else - please, re-think what do you know and who provide you the information.

here s another one:
US journalist Pearson Sharp reports from Douma hospital
Pearson Sharp to OAN: No sign of a chemical attack at the Douma hospital where White Helmets filmed their video.

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=uCzjV_1524322998

and once again - who is advocating war?

Return to “News & Current Events”