deadliest mass shooting in the U.S.

The best place for discussion of current events. News about Buddhists and Buddhism is particularly welcome.
Jeff H

Re: deadliest mass shooting in the U.S.

Post by Jeff H » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:20 pm

There’s push-back too, like Georgia threatening to deny Delta Airlines a major tax break due to its anti-NRA stance. Indiana’s reaction to Parkland was to institute free, life-time licenses for handguns.

But then there’s Judith! A staunch gun-owner and former school principal with strong ideas about the difference in classes of firearms who's calling for a boycott of NRA because of their failure to distinguish. That article also discusses Drain the NRA, a public spreadsheet of corporations linked to the NRA, and promising indications that this movement might actually have an impact.

JUDITH PEARSON:
Judith Pearson.jpg
Judith Pearson.jpg (71.02 KiB) Viewed 1464 times
We who are like children shrink from pain but love its causes. - Shantideva

fuki

Post by fuki » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:48 pm

Do people holding guns ever smile or does a gun by default condition the whole, "don't touch me, I'm a badass" syndrome?

Then again I've never seen someone holding a tulip have a "I'm a tough cookie" look :lol:
meldpunt seksueel misbruik in boeddhistische gemeenschappen nederland.
https://meldpuntbg.nl/

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:13 pm

justsit wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:54 pm
Dick’s, Major Gun Retailer, Will Stop Selling Assault-Style Rifles
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/28/busi ... ifles.html

A step in the right direction, as a direct result of Parkland:
"...immediately ending sales of all assault-style rifles in its stores.
The retailer also said that it would no longer sell high-capacity magazines and that it would not sell any gun to anyone under 21 years of age, regardless of local laws...."

“When we saw what happened in Parkland, we were so disturbed and upset,” Mr. Stack said in an interview Tuesday evening. “We love these kids and their rallying cry, ‘enough is enough.’ It got to us.”

He added, “We’re going to take a stand and step up and tell people our view and, hopefully, bring people along into the conversation.”

And he also said today on CNN one is his motivating factors was the fact that Cruz bought a shotgun from them, even though it was not used in the shooting. The mere fact that he was one of their customers motivated him to cease selling to those under 21 and all assault/tactical rifles.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

Sennin

Post by Sennin » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:43 pm

CNN is reporting a Georgia teacher is in custody for firing a gun in school...
Namo Guru Bhyaḥ

Norwegian

Post by Norwegian » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:02 pm

Sennin wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:43 pm
CNN is reporting a Georgia teacher is in custody for firing a gun in school...
Yeah nothing could ever go wrong by arming teachers...

Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:25 pm

Meanwhile in Australia ...

Gun amnesty: Rocket launcher, automatic rifles among 57,000 firearms handed in
Thousands of automatic rifles, handguns and a rocket launcher are among the weapons handed in during last year's National Firearms Amnesty.

The final results, released today, show 57,324 firearms were handed in between July and September across Australia to be registered or destroyed.

Authorities received around 2,500 fully-automatic or semi-automatic guns that were previously unaccounted for, and 2,900 handguns.

The rocket launcher was handed in to a licensed firearms dealer in Queensland, who believes it was once recovered at a local tip.

New South Wales received the highest number of firearms at 24,831, followed by Queensland on 16,375. Victorians handed in 9,175 guns.

Almost a third of the weapons were destroyed, with the rest either registered and handed back, or passed on to a licensed dealer for resale...
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-01/g ... ry/9495440

:thinking:
Kim

Minobu

Post by Minobu » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:30 pm

It's amazing to see the power of our children have such an effect on this matter....

The world is going through amazing changes from feminism to mental illness , to this gun culture gone so wrong.

Back in the day pre apartheid in south africa, we saw how music and artists created a demand for change...

At the time when i saw it starting to happen where governments put sanctions on south african goods , i had this thought of children listening to the songs being inspired to put pressure on their political parents in power to do something...it was my take on it at the time ...for i could not understand why it was starting to actually work and who exactly was listening to the likes of Peter Gabriel and simple minds etc...
remember the song .

sillyrabbit

Post by sillyrabbit » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:55 am

Kim O'Hara wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:25 pm
Meanwhile in Australia ...
Locally (in the US, midwest no less!), a gun shop gave up the selling of assault rifles, will now refuse the sale of any weapons to people under the age of 21.

Some people are listening, as hard as that may be to believe.
Namo Amitabha Buddha
:hug:

Jeff H

Post by Jeff H » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:29 pm

This is a hopeful sign, too.

Florida Governor Signs Gun Limits Into Law, Breaking With the N.R.A.

Standing with a group of families who had traveled to the State Capitol from Parkland, an emotional Mr. Scott [who had an A-plus rating from the National Rifle Association] called the classmates of the slain students and their parents his inspiration, and praised them for helping persuade lawmakers to pass legislation, even if neither they nor he agreed with all of its provisions.

That such a gun-friendly state adopted any firearm restrictions represents a sea change, even more so as the restrictions were drafted and approved in a matter of three weeks, after a bipartisan vote and the signature of a Republican governor likely to be on the ballot later this year as a Senate candidate.
We who are like children shrink from pain but love its causes. - Shantideva

Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:37 pm

They've had enough. Students across country walk out to demand new gun laws

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/03/14/us/n ... index.html
I participate in this forum using Google Translator. https://translate.google.com.br/

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:50 am

https://pitchfork.com/news/killer-mike- ... nra-video/

"Killer Mike Defends Gun Ownership in New NRA Video
He says he discouraged his children from participating in gun protest walkouts"
facepalm.jpg
facepalm.jpg (48.77 KiB) Viewed 1160 times
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:27 pm

March for Our Lives: Top moments that made up a movement

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/03/24/us/m ... index.html

:namaste:
I participate in this forum using Google Translator. https://translate.google.com.br/

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/

Virgo
Global Moderator

Post by Virgo » Fri May 18, 2018 6:48 pm

Kevin...

Norwegian

Post by Norwegian » Fri May 18, 2018 6:55 pm

Virgo wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 6:48 pm

Kevin...
So, here we are again...

Virgo
Global Moderator

Post by Virgo » Fri May 18, 2018 7:08 pm

Norwegian wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 6:55 pm
So, here we are again...
It's just another week in the United States.

Kevin...

justsit

Post by justsit » Fri May 18, 2018 9:43 pm

Statistics are meaningless to those with the power to affect real change, and real danger isn't close enough to home. Maybe when some posh white boy goes off and slaughters a classroom of private school kids something will get done. Public school kids are disposable.

Virgo
Global Moderator

Post by Virgo » Fri May 18, 2018 10:26 pm

justsit wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 9:43 pm
Statistics are meaningless to those with the power to affect real change, and real danger isn't close enough to home. Maybe when some posh white boy goes off and slaughters a classroom of private school kids something will get done. Public school kids are disposable.
I have to disagree with you. I think that statement is inaccurate and stems from being conditioned by an older copout paradigm from a time when people were not as connected and did not have as loud of a voice as they do now. That paradigm simply doesn't work for younger people. Also people of any age can hop on board. Now we have the tools of the internet, social media platforms, youtube, and iPhones and in this day and age and culture - as long as we have enough attitude (and trust me I have got a lot of it and so do many people) - we can make our VOICE heard and felt, and we will be listened to. This topic, and Climate Change are two topics that the younger generation are focused on with lazer-like intensity, and we will be heard and we will roll Republicans in 2020, there is no doubt. So people basically either need to hop on board, or hop out of discussion altogether. We are not backing down and we will be victorious. Failure is not an option. We must turn back these threats on our planet, and turn them back we will.

Kevin...

justsit

Post by justsit » Fri May 18, 2018 11:25 pm

Virgo wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 10:26 pm
...we will be heard and we will roll Republicans in 2020, there is no doubt.
Kevin...
You could rally your laser intensity for the mid term elections in 2018 as well. They historically have a very poor turnout, and a big Democratic burst of enthusiasm right about now could help significantly change the numbers in DC. Just sayin'...

I hope you're right and the younger crowd is able to do what has not been done so far. On another forum I frequent, they express lots of righteous indignation, but no one seems motivated to do much more. Often a big social media storm abates quickly.

Virgo
Global Moderator

Post by Virgo » Fri May 18, 2018 11:54 pm

justsit wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 11:25 pm
Virgo wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 10:26 pm
...we will be heard and we will roll Republicans in 2020, there is no doubt.
Kevin...
You could rally your laser intensity for the mid term elections in 2018 as well. They historically have a very poor turnout, and a big Democratic burst of enthusiasm right about now could help significantly change the numbers in DC. Just sayin'...
Yes, you are right.
justsit wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 11:25 pm
I hope you're right and the younger crowd is able to do what has not been done so far. On another forum I frequent, they express lots of righteous indignation, but no one seems motivated to do much more. Often a big social media storm abates quickly.
No kid in the US even feels safe going to school right now.

Kevin...

Return to “News & Current Events”