Mie Prefecture shrine association gets license to grow cannabis for Shinto rituals

Forum for discussion of East Asian Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Fortyeightvows

Mie Prefecture shrine association gets license to grow cannabis for Shinto rituals

Post by Fortyeightvows »

The Mie Prefectural Government has granted a local association a license to cultivate cannabis for making items used in Shinto rituals, including shimenawa (traditional ropes hung at a shrine’s entrance).
The association plans to cultivate a cannabis variety that has little narcotic effects, with harvesting expected in or around August.

According to the health ministry, a total of 37 entities in 12 prefectures had been given permission to cultivate cannabis as of the end of December 2016.

“Cannabis cultivation and processing techniques will disappear unless we work hard now (to preserve them),” Hitoshi Nitta, a senior official of the association and professor at Kogakkan University in Ise, said, noting that cannabis farmers are aging.

“We hope to make this association an entity that can play a central role in cannabis production in Japan,” he said.
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2018/ ... tb3qC7wbIV
Queequeg
Former staff member

Re: Mie Prefecture shrine association gets license to grow cannabis for Shinto rituals

Post by Queequeg »

Fortyeightvows wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:30 am
“Cannabis cultivation and processing techniques will disappear unless we work hard now (to preserve them),” Hitoshi Nitta, a senior official of the association and professor at Kogakkan University in Ise, said, noting that cannabis farmers are aging.

“We hope to make this association an entity that can play a central role in cannabis production in Japan,” he said.
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2018/ ... tb3qC7wbIV
I have it on good authority that there are cannabis farmers on the younger end of the spectrum... If the Japanese government followed the trend toward decriminalization, those young farmers might come out into the open and might even appreciate branching out their business...
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Wicked Yeshe

Re: Mie Prefecture shrine association gets license to grow cannabis for Shinto rituals

Post by Wicked Yeshe »

Very good. It is quite outrageous that it should still be illegal. Soon medicinal marijuana might be allowed on a world level. Hopefully very soon.

When i lived in Nepal it was semi-legal and rarely enforced. There were also many stores that sold hemp clothes and shoes. Wearing hemp and smoking hemp is really nice! :twothumbsup:
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Wicked Yeshe wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:27 am Wearing hemp and smoking hemp is really nice! :twothumbsup:
Wearing hemp? In terms of natural fibers, I prefer cotton.
Smoking hemp? It is a mind altering experience; as with all intoxicants - moderation, if at all. I find it interferes with spiritual cultivation; if I'm engaged in a period of intensive practice, I avoid all intoxicants - my daily cup of coffee aside - I find they derail the substrate consciousness. Others seem to be unaffected by it. Notwithstanding, I'm in the decriminalize pot camp. I look forward to growing a stalk of sensimilla or two in my back yard, next to the tomatoes and cucumbers.

I can't imagine that they could truly criminalize hemp in Nepal, or India for that matter - it grows all over the place wild.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
Wicked Yeshe

Post by Wicked Yeshe »

It's a novelty to wear it for the most part. I found it not to be as strong as some would like it to be. Wore out a couple of hemp shoes faster than ordinary shoes.

Moderation is key. Self distance too. It can't hurt more than the LSD like compund someone dipped my hemp string in. I was restringing my mala back home with it and got some of the string in my mouth and an hour later i was clearly tripping. Someone in Nepal must have thought i needed some acid or something..

I've grown weed in my closet when i was younger. Quite nice!
ShineeSeoul

Post by ShineeSeoul »

Queequeg wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:08 pm
Wicked Yeshe wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:27 am Wearing hemp and smoking hemp is really nice! :twothumbsup:
Smoking hemp? It is a mind altering experience; as with all intoxicants - moderation, if at all. I find it interferes with spiritual cultivation; if I'm engaged in a period of intensive practice, I avoid all intoxicants - my daily cup of coffee aside - I find they derail the substrate consciousness. Others seem to be unaffected by it. Notwithstanding, I'm in the decriminalize pot camp. I look forward to growing a stalk of sensimilla or two in my back yard, next to the tomatoes and cucumbers.

I can't imagine that they could truly criminalize hemp in Nepal, or India for that matter - it grows all over the place wild.
All intoxicants are forbidden in Buddhism, I don't get here why some think this is good
markatex

Post by markatex »

I’m not on board with outlawing things because Buddhism disallows them.

I tend to think that marijuana and cocaine are fairly innocuous (in the case of the latter, in very small doses only) from a public health standpoint. Certainly not any worse than alcohol.

Personally, weed doesn’t seem to have any effect on me, perhaps because I’m too uncoordinated to smoke anything.
Wicked Yeshe

Post by Wicked Yeshe »

ShineeSeoul wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 5:10 am

All intoxicants are forbidden in Buddhism, I don't get here why some think this is good
It isn't. Sobriety is king etc. But Buddha used to eat hemp and many stories exist where attained masters used intoxicants. Most inspiring are sober ones though.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Wicked Yeshe wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 8:53 pm Buddha used to eat hemp
Source?
Wicked Yeshe

Post by Wicked Yeshe »

Queequeg wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 10:55 pm
Wicked Yeshe wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 8:53 pm Buddha used to eat hemp
Source?
Some documentary. A certain Mahasiddha were also known for having ingested a fistful of hemp to demonstrate something. Quite obvious that hemp was used extensively but that our brainwashed reefer madness meets "it's comfortable that no one can use drugs in buddhism"-type thinking puts the lid on it.

Anyway..it is never smoked. Only eaten raw i think. Lack of decarboxylation would make it more difficult to abuse for obvious reasons.
ShineeSeoul

Post by ShineeSeoul »

Wicked Yeshe wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 8:53 pm
ShineeSeoul wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 5:10 am

It isn't. Sobriety is king etc. But Buddha used to eat hemp and many stories exist where attained masters used intoxicants. Most inspiring are sober ones though.
This is one of the most absurd thing I have hear, I am sorry to people who loves intoxicants and couldn't let it ago
Wicked Yeshe

Post by Wicked Yeshe »

Let's reformulate: Intoxicants are not good. Buddha most likely ate hemp. There are exceptions to the fifth precept according to certain masters. That is all.

I quit weed by the way and am not planning on buying any more.
User 3495

Post by User 3495 »

Are you serious? Because you saw “some documentary” you come to the conclusion that the Buddha most likely ate hemp? And that “hemp was used extensively“?

@ ShineeSeoul: You are absolutely right. No point in further arguing this case.
Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka »

Last edited by Sādhaka on Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wicked Yeshe

Post by Wicked Yeshe »

Tatsuo wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:48 am Are you serious? Because you saw “some documentary” you come to the conclusion that the Buddha most likely ate hemp? And that “hemp was used extensively“?

@ ShineeSeoul: You are absolutely right. No point in further arguing this case.
I know from within. Hemp was used by many. But no use arguing. We probably agree on what's important anyway and that is the wrongness of abusing drugs. I'm working on my own addictions so it's not like i am defending abuse or anything.

Found the documentary that briefly mentions Buddha in one sentence.
User 3495

Post by User 3495 »

“Buddha ate it for enjoyment”
... said in a BBC Three documentary by a reporter who smoked cannabis for a month to find out about its effect. You do know that this is not convincing at all, right? Especially not for anyone familiar with basic Buddhism.
Wicked Yeshe

Post by Wicked Yeshe »

I think he ate it for tantric reasons. Like the Mahasiddha i don't remember the name of. It was used in the old days in India like food or medicinal herb. Not just hindus but buddhists as well. It was very different from modern recreational use.
Wicked Yeshe

Post by Wicked Yeshe »

I know mainstream media can be misleading but i think BBC would be able to research whatever subjects they talk about.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Recently saw the PBS documentary, "Story of India", and during one episode, they profile a drink in Afghanistan called Hom, which scholars speculate may be the drink, Soma, referred to in the Vedas. The main ingredient is ephedra, but it is sometimes also brewed with poppy and cannabis. The Vedas provide evidence that some sort of mind altering drink was consumed in religious contexts in ancient India. These substances are still used in India as medicines, so we can reasonably speculate that they have been used all along. (maybe someone with more knowledge of Indian medicine might be able to chime in).

It would not be surprising that such medicines were used widely in the Buddha's time. I know that even now, cannabis tea is used in the Caribbean for medicinal purposes by the square community. It would not be surprising that such medicinal uses would have been acceptable during the Buddha's time in India.

Intoxication is another matter.

This does not add up to evidence that the Buddha got stoned, and the overwhelming evidence is that getting stoned was not OK in the sangha. There is a big difference between taking a mild tea for an upset stomach and eating a pot brownie.

Tea is widely consumed by Buddhists... drink too much and you get intoxicated. Caffeine high is a high.
Wicked Yeshe

Post by Wicked Yeshe »

No, the Buddha did NOT get stoned. But non decarbed hemp (non heated because it is the heat that causes bioavailability and gets you stoned) is still useable as an anti inflammatory medicine and for immune system toning. It was and is used in Asia and India still to this day.

Return to “East Asian Buddhism”