TRUCK FUMP

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
PSM

Re: TRUCK FUMP

Post by PSM »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:17 pm IDK, I have felt this way about our last administrations as well, they were just much better a PR.
Bingo. I strongly recommend "Trust Me, I'm Lying" by Ryan Holiday to anyone who has any interest in news, especially anything about Trump. Shows how terminally damaged, partisan and useless the media is. One of the best books I have ever, ever read. The one thing to take away from it is that the number 1 most shared kind of news, and therefore the most profitable, is that which inspires righteous indignation.
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

PSM wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:48 pm
Mantrik wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:54 pm In my case I admit to failing to find anything in the man to which I can attach a feeling of compassion, but it doesn't mean I hate him. Odd that some posts have leapt to the extremes.
"I had wondered about a jihadists mowing him down with a truck, hence the title, but why ruin a truck?"
Does not denote hatred, just warped humour. ;)

http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
Rick

Post by Rick »

I have a solution to Anti-Trumpisto despair:

View the movie of Trumperica not as a disaster movie, or tragedy ... but as a black comedy, a reality-tv-ized version of Idiocracy.

I mean it's fun to be the bad guy for a change, right? They always get the sexy roles:

Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Rick wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:47 pmView the movie of Trumperica not as a disaster movie, or tragedy ... but as a black comedy, a reality-tv-ized version of Idiocracy.
I fail to see the humor in the suffering and death of innocents.
I mean it's fun to be the bad guy for a change, right?
For a change???
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Karma Dorje

Post by Karma Dorje »

If anything we need to show more compassion to those that are creating the conditions for tremendous suffering in the future, not to mention the tremendous mental suffering that leads to such a distorted worldview in the present. This doesn't mean holding hands and singing Kumbaya, but rather that our motivation must be loving, even if our language is frank.

We can't exclude any being from our compassion, no matter how much suffering they cause others.

In the words of Langri Tangpa:
Whenever I see ill-natured beings,
Or those overwhelmed by heavy misdeeds or suffering,
I will cherish them as something rare,
As though I’d found a priceless treasure.
"Although my view is higher than the sky, My respect for the cause and effect of actions is as fine as grains of flour."
-Padmasambhava
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Karma Dorje wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:01 pm If anything we need to show more compassion to those that are creating the conditions for tremendous suffering in the future, not to mention the tremendous mental suffering that leads to such a distorted worldview in the present. This doesn't mean holding hands and singing Kumbaya, but rather that our motivation must be loving, even if our language is frank.

We can't exclude any being from our compassion, no matter how much suffering they cause others.

In the words of Langri Tangpa:
Whenever I see ill-natured beings,
Or those overwhelmed by heavy misdeeds or suffering,
I will cherish them as something rare,
As though I’d found a priceless treasure.
My original post was, of course, meant as humour. However:

The concept of universal compassion without exclusion is of course a basic belief, but if we ally it to the concept of 'ahimsa' then this thought springs to mind re. Trump and others like him:

Destroy his ability to harm others because harm to him prevents far greater harm to the many. You may even see this as a compassionate duty. Individuals may vary as to the acceptability of different methods, from bullet to ballot.

This does not preclude compassion for him, preventing his harmful karma and sparing him the inevitable vipaka he will reap.

Karma Dorje

Post by Karma Dorje »

Mantrik wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:19 pm My original post was, of course, meant as humour. However:

The concept of universal compassion without exclusion is of course a basic belief, but if we ally it to the concept of 'ahimsa' then this thought springs to mind re. Trump and others like him:

Destroy his ability to harm others because harm to him prevents far greater harm to the many. You may even see this as a compassionate duty. Individuals may vary as to the acceptability of different methods, from bullet to ballot.

This does not preclude compassion for him, preventing his harmful karma and sparing him the inevitable vipaka he will reap.
My comments were directed towards our motivation: having genuine love for a suffering sentient being no matter how much harm they cause. It is not compassionate to allow a being to accumulate the causes of future suffering if we can prevent it. Our actions and words may be sharp, but our heart must not be hardened against him. If we hate, we are not qualified to destroy such harmdoers.
"Although my view is higher than the sky, My respect for the cause and effect of actions is as fine as grains of flour."
-Padmasambhava
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Karma Dorje wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:27 pm
Mantrik wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:19 pm My original post was, of course, meant as humour. However:

My comments were directed towards our motivation: having genuine love for a suffering sentient being no matter how much harm they cause. It is not compassionate to allow a being to accumulate the causes of future suffering if we can prevent it. Our actions and words may be sharp, but our heart must not be hardened against him. If we hate, we are not qualified to destroy such harmdoers.
Well expressed. :)

Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Grigoris wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:51 pm
Rick wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:47 pmView the movie of Trumperica not as a disaster movie, or tragedy ... but as a black comedy, a reality-tv-ized version of Idiocracy.
I fail to see the humor in the suffering and death of innocents.
I mean it's fun to be the bad guy for a change, right?
For a change???
I can't recall if it is accurate to call it 'cognitive dissonance' but we are capable of laughing about a person or event whilst also being able to feel revulsion, horror and even fear.

It is also a form of mind protection. Once we lose it, in times of war and disaster, for example, I think the odds of a breakdown are greater. I have observed this a few times, and people who fought or were bombed in WW2, Falklands etc. tell me so, but I don't know if it is a general phenomenon.

Rick

Post by Rick »

Mantrik wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:54 pmI can't recall if it is accurate to call it 'cognitive dissonance' but we are capable of laughing about a person or event whilst also being able to feel revulsion, horror and even fear.
Yes! I grew up in a culture where nihilistic/gallows humor was the norm, so it became (and remains) a big part of how I process darkness. I forget sometimes that other cultures are very different. When I lived in Germany I would sometimes say something very dark I intended to be taken as humorous ... and my German friends would take it literally and get really alarmed!
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Rick wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:06 pm
Mantrik wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:54 pmI can't recall if it is accurate to call it 'cognitive dissonance' but we are capable of laughing about a person or event whilst also being able to feel revulsion, horror and even fear.
Yes! I grew up in a culture where nihilistic/gallows humor was the norm, so it became (and remains) a big part of how I process darkness. I forget sometimes that other cultures are very different. When I lived in Germany I would sometimes say something very dark I intended to be taken as humorous ... and my German friends would take it literally and get really alarmed!
I was raised with Yorkshire humour, a mix of irony and sarcasm which is largely lost on the rest of the UK, let alone the rest of the world. I often have to remember to talk literally or end up explaining what I really mean to humourless dolts who just don't undertsand.

Rick

Post by Rick »

I was raised in the other York, New York, which is infused with Jewish humor ... and can get very dark indeed.
shaunc

Post by shaunc »

There's a saying in Australia. "If you don't laugh, you cry "
I'm not sure where it comes from originally but my guess would be Ireland.
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

Well he is trageting Canada now...unfairly and ignoring the real dairy trade...

We charge 7.something % tariff on dairy coming into Canada...more Dairy comes into Canada than we sell to america...then the charge goes to 200 something % over that amount...so as to stop the flood of dairy...we don't produce that much and it's different for our laws prohibit certain hormones and drugs that force cattle to produce more milk with no stopping...cows naturally have this thing where they don't produce milk at certain times...

so Trump is using national security as a weapon to over ride congress in their vote on tariffs... Trudeau called that insulting over a week before the summit and trump makes like he stabbed him in the back...

i'm really done with a whole swath of americanism...always loved you guys...but this is too much...your leader praises a murdering dictator calls him honourable ...and disses Trudeau for all the wrong reasons...

i stopped buying pure filter milk ...over twenty years now i used it not knowing it came from america...i think i even feel different since stopping the stuff. we don;t have the machinery to filter milk that way and it's american dairy...lower quality than Canadian..

sad ..really sad...we were your best friends...
Karma Dorje

Post by Karma Dorje »

Minobu wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:55 pm Well he is trageting Canada now...unfairly and ignoring the real dairy trade...

We charge 7.something % tariff on dairy coming into Canada...more Dairy comes into Canada than we sell to america...then the charge goes to 200 something % over that amount...so as to stop the flood of dairy...we don't produce that much and it's different for our laws prohibit certain hormones and drugs that force cattle to produce more milk with no stopping...cows naturally have this thing where they don't produce milk at certain times...

so Trump is using national security as a weapon to over ride congress in their vote on tariffs... Trudeau called that insulting over a week before the summit and trump makes like he stabbed him in the back...

i'm really done with a whole swath of americanism...always loved you guys...but this is too much...your leader praises a murdering dictator calls him honourable ...and disses Trudeau for all the wrong reasons...

i stopped buying pure filter milk ...over twenty years now i used it not knowing it came from america...i think i even feel different since stopping the stuff. we don;t have the machinery to filter milk that way and it's american dairy...lower quality than Canadian..

sad ..really sad...we were your best friends...
I concur. Maybe it's time for us to burn the White House down again.
-Padmasambhava
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Minobu wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:55 pm i'm really done with a whole swath of americanism...always loved you guys...but this is too much...your leader praises a murdering dictator calls him honourable
Yes, but the great Leader, whose diplomatic skills now match those of his heroes Dennis Rodman and Steven Seagal, tells us he managed to obtain many concessions.

I'm sure he did - concessions to build golf courses, concessions to build condos, concessions to sell arms....

If this creep actually lives to see out his Presidency we will almost certainly discover that every trip and deal was all about his own business interests.

In the meantime, don't get too upset if he get a Nobel Peace Prize.... it takes very little.

A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

Post by A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha »

But if he miraculously freed Tibet....
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

Malcolm wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:38 pm
That's awesome.
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Malcolm wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:38 pm
Saw that. Takes some beating for impact! :)

Return to “Lounge”