Vajrapani and ChNN

Mantrik
Former staff member

Vajrapani and ChNN

Post by Mantrik »

In the text of the Naga Rite, and apparently even in the Thuns, ChNN originally has Vajrapani as Yidam.

What was the course of events which led to his replacement in Thuns etc?
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
jet.urgyen

Re: Vajrapani and ChNN

Post by jet.urgyen »

Mantrik wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:15 pm In the text of the Naga Rite, and apparently even in the Thuns, ChNN originally has Vajrapani as Yidam.

When ChNN discovered that is highly probable that the HIV disease is linked directly to the senmo and i think also due to the dol'gyal issue and in his words due to the nervousness and obstructions caused by the gyalpos, then the GT Yidam was become more used.

in general because GT is more specific on controlling negativities of the eight clases.

i remember that. in the booklet of GT you can find specific info.
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Mantrik wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:15 pm In the text of the Naga Rite, and apparently even in the Thuns, ChNN originally has Vajrapani as Yidam.

Cancer.
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

javier.espinoza.t wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:48 pm

When ChNN discovered that is highly probable that the HIV disease is linked directly to the senmo and i think also due to the dol'gyal issue and in his words due to the nervousness and obstructions caused by the gyalpos, then the GT Yidam was become more used.

in general because GT is more specific on controlling negativities of the eight clases.

Thanks. :) I know the reason why GT is useful, just as I know the reason Red Garuda is useful. Giving practitioners a practice which has multiple deities is preferable to Vajrapani alone when dealing with Gyalpos etc. , but I've never seen the precise reasoning for the change written or taught anywhere, where ChNN says he is shifting the focus away from Vajrapani.

Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Malcolm wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:55 pm

Cancer.
Wouldn't that be Red Garuda?

jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

Mantrik wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:01 pm

Thanks. :) I know the reason why GT is useful, just as I know the reason Red Garuda is useful. Giving practitioners a practice which has multiple deities is preferable to Vajrapani alone when dealing with Gyalpos etc. , but I've never seen the precise reasoning for the change written or taught anywhere, where ChNN says he is shifting the focus away from Vajrapani.
this is not quite true. Vajrapani, Garuda, and other Buddhas are present GT manifestation.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

javier.espinoza.t wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:10 pm

this is not quite true. Vajrapani, Garuda, and other Buddhas are present GT manifestation.
Yes, that's why I wrote 'multiple deities'. ;)

jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

Mantrik wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:14 pm
javier.espinoza.t wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:10 pm

Yes, that's why I wrote 'multiple deities'. ;)
oh, true. pardon.

Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Mantrik wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:02 pm
He is also part of Dragphur.

Kevin...
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Virgo wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:39 pm
Mantrik wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:02 pm
He is also part of Dragphur.

Kevin...
I know. :)

I know the Dragphur practice well. I'm asking what prompted the change from Vajrapani. If it was cancer alone Red Garuda would suffice. The Gyalpo issue was another factor I assume.

Simhamukha is also in the mix.

I wondered if he had received guidance in a dream etc.

Dragphur has so many deities and functions it may be simply that ChNN was making life easy for us. :)

Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Mantrik wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:24 pm

I know. :)

I know the Dragphur practice well. I'm asking what prompted the change from Vajrapani. If it was cancer alone Red Garuda would suffice. The Gyalpo issue was another factor I assume.

Simhamukha is also in the mix.

I wondered if he had received guidance in a dream etc.

Dragphur has so many deities and functions it may be simply that ChNN was making life easy for us. :)
Hi Mantrik, I am not sure of his reasoning, but I also suspect that maybe it what you suggested-- it is quite the versatile practice.

Kevin...
lelopa

Post by lelopa »

At the Guru Dragphur-DonWang in 1992 ChNN said someting like:

"I will give you the GD-DonWang because with GD we have a little more function as with Vajrapani, whom we use mainly for paralyisis - GD controls Gyalpo & Sinmo....."

Then he explained that he did "research" on AIDS and found out that sinmo is responsible for AIDS and that Vajrapani & Guru Dragpo, Yangdag, Kilaya & Garuda is also contained in GD.
Since then Vajrapani was replaced in the practiced Thuns and a little later in the texts.
Lost In Transmission
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

lelopa wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:37 am At the Guru Dragphur-DonWang in 1992 ChNN said someting like:

"I will give you the GD-DonWang because with GD we have a little more function as with Vajrapani, whom we use mainly for paralyisis - GD controls Gyalpo & Sinmo....."

Then he explained that he did "research" on AIDS and found out that sinmo is responsible for AIDS and that Vajrapani & Guru Dragpo, Yangdag, Kilaya & Garuda is also contained in GD.
Since then Vajrapani was replaced in the practiced Thuns and a little later in the texts.
Perfect. Thanks. :)
I thought it must be something like that but hadn't seen info about the the actual turning point.

In the Naga Rite booklet ChNN mentions Dragpo, Vajrapani and Sinhamukha as possible, but I don't know if that has been updated.

lelopa

Post by lelopa »

Mantrik wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:18 am
lelopa wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:37 am At the Guru Dragphur-DonWang in 1992 ChNN said someting like:

I thought it must be something like that but hadn't seen info about the the actual turning point.

In the Naga Rite booklet ChNN mentions Dragpo, Vajrapani and Sinhamukha as possible, but I don't know if that has been updated.
my Naga Rite booklet is also an old one :shrug:
but the DC replaced these yidams with GD everywhere
Lost In Transmission
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

lelopa wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:21 am

It's a Thun format so I think it is safe to use GD (or Simhamukha, as she is already mentioned) , especially as the practice incorporates all those others. The main thing he emphasises is not to approach the Dharmapalas and Nagas without self-generation. I suspect that needs spelling out.

lelopa

Post by lelopa »

Mantrik wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:42 am

It's a Thun format so I think it is safe to use GD (or Simhamukha, as she is already mentioned) , especially as the practice incorporates all those others. The main thing he emphasises is not to approach the Dharmapalas and Nagas without self-generation. I suspect that needs spelling out.
Simhamukha at waning lunar phase
Lost In Transmission
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

lelopa wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:45 am
Mantrik wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:42 am

Simhamukha at waning lunar phase
Yes :)
The Thun & Ganapuja book and the new commentary are amazing - such a complete support for Guruyoga.

Tenma

Post by Tenma »

When is the next GD empowerment?
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

Tenma wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:13 pm When is the next GD empowerment?
Nobody knows. Rinpoche is resting and recuperating.
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

Norwegian wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:38 pm
Tenma wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:13 pm When is the next GD empowerment?
Nobody knows. Rinpoche is resting and recuperating.
I thought he just recovered from cancer?

Return to “Dzogchen”