Quote of my day

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
weitsicht

Quote of my day

Post by weitsicht »

There are days on which I am accompanied by a quote or a theme.
Maybe you have the same and want to share?
Ho! All the possible appearances and existences of samsara and nirvana have the same source, yet two paths and two results arise as the magical display of awareness and unawareness.
HO NANG SRI KHOR DAE THAMCHE KUN ZHI CHIG LAM NYI DRAE BU NYI RIG DANG MA RIG CHOM THRUL TE
weitsicht

Re: Quote of my day

Post by weitsicht »

PEOPLE’S WHOLE LIVES DO PASS IN FRONT OF THEIR EYES BEFORE THEY DIE. THE PROCESS IS CALLED "LIVING"

Terry Pratchett
Ho! All the possible appearances and existences of samsara and nirvana have the same source, yet two paths and two results arise as the magical display of awareness and unawareness.
HO NANG SRI KHOR DAE THAMCHE KUN ZHI CHIG LAM NYI DRAE BU NYI RIG DANG MA RIG CHOM THRUL TE
Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín »

I just found this in a Pāli sutta. It made my day.
“Kā cānanda, [...] upāsikā bālā abyattā ammakā ammakapaññā?"
And who is this [...] stupid bumpkin laywoman mango-picker with a mango-picker's intellect, Ānanda?

-Aṅguttaranikāye Dhammikavagge Migasālāsuttaṃ AN6.44
Why, Buddha, why?!
Then, the monks uttered this gāthā:

These bodies are like foam.
Them being frail, who can rejoice in them?
The Buddha attained the vajra-body.
Still, it becomes inconstant and ruined.
The many Buddhas are vajra-entities.
All are also subject to inconstancy.
Quickly ended, like melting snow --
how could things be different?

The Buddha passed into parinirvāṇa afterward.
(T1.27b10 Mahāparinirvāṇasūtra DĀ 2)
weitsicht

Post by weitsicht »

deff wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:29 pm Kelly Roberts: Why do you sometimes wear monk’s robes?

Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche: In Buddhism, we talk about several different stages of degeneration. There’s one degenerated time that Buddha called tagtsam zinpey du, the time when monastic robes are maintained just as a mark or symbol. That’s where we are now. At least I’m trying to hold on to that symbol.

from: http://www.lionsroar.com/dzongsar-khyen ... mate-look/ :smile:
I dreamt about this one as if I was in the room during that interview

How stupid is it to justify your action by the time you find yourself in?
Our action defines the Kaliyuga, not the other way round.

The repetitiveness of the robe question shows how misleading that is.
And: symbol what for, or what against? I can't let go of the feeling that DJKR (or whoever else mimes the monastic without abiding by the rules) has an agenda beyond following the Buddha's words.

Pls open a new thread if you want to discuss. I just wanted to share what stirs my mind on this hot sunny Sunday more than I am asking for (who is asking?)
weitsicht

Post by weitsicht »

"Student: Have you ever experienced hell world?
CTR: Definitely, yes.
Student: What do you do?
CTR: I try to remain in the hell world"

from "Transcending Madness"
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

My favorite quote was for some decades:

Life is a mystery to be lived, not a problem to be solved.
This idea was a good helper through many crazy times. :sage:
weitsicht

Post by weitsicht »

I am here on retreat with Mingyur Rinpoche and 199 very gentle students in pastoral Normandie.

He is saying „everything has clarity as its essence.“

and everyone around me nods. But I think that‘s a broad statement. I can develop faith in him knowing that for sure and/or I put this into my big cupboard of possibilities. Need to chew on that, silent retreat may be of help.
DharmaJunior

Post by DharmaJunior »

my quote of the day is "not always the case". It's a caveat just in case you were wondering..
Quay

Post by Quay »

"When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained."
--Mark Twain
"Knowledge is as infinite as the stars in the sky;
There is no end to all the subjects one could study.
It is better to grasp straight away their very essence--
The unchanging fortress of the Dharmakaya."

– Longchenpa.
weitsicht

Post by weitsicht »

„Those who believe that what appears is red, are stupid like cows. Those who believe emptiness is real are even stupider“
I didn‘t note who said that but I think it was Trungpa
DharmaJunior

Post by DharmaJunior »

Integrity is choosing courage over comfort, choosing what is right over what is fun, fast or easy and choosing to practice our values rather than professing them.
weitsicht

Post by weitsicht »

I found a quote in German, cannot get hands at an english translation

by Jiddu Krishnamurti
Zeit ist der Beobachter, der den Abstand zwischen sich und den Bäumen, zwischen sich und dem was ist, herstellt.
weitsicht

Post by weitsicht »

Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck.
the XIV Dalai Lama
passel

Post by passel »

The purpose of life is to help each other through it.
"I have made a heap of all that I have met"- Svetonious
weitsicht

Post by weitsicht »

What was it that Granny Weatherwax had said once? 'Evil begins when you begin to treat people as things.' And right now it would happen if you thought there was a thing called a mother, a thing called a father, and a daughter, and a thing called a cottage, and told yourself that if you put them all together you had a thing called a happy family.
Terry Pratchett in "I Shall Wear Midnight"

I am left with the impression that the whole book oozes with dharma, in an illustrative and entertaining way
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

weitsicht wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:06 pm "Student: Have you ever experienced hell world?
CTR: Definitely, yes.
Student: What do you do?
CTR: I try to remain in the hell world"

from "Transcending Madness"
I don't have to try, it comes naturally.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
weitsicht

Post by weitsicht »

Anyone who might have a high opinion of his own worth - each may think he is practicing dharma, but as long as he is under the sway of these limiting conditions, he is not on the true path.
Patrul Rinpoche
Emmet

Post by Emmet »

"Without the precepts as guidelines, Zen Buddhism tends to become a hobby, made to fit the needs of the ego."
Robert Aitken roshi
May all beings plagued with sufferings of the body or mind be quickly freed of their illnesses.
May the frightened cease to be afraid, and may the bound go free.
May the powerless find power,
And may people think of befriending each other.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Just this...
...from birth to death

I saw this spraypainted on a railroad bridge in Minneapolis, MN in 2009 or so
PSM

Post by PSM »

Not practicing dharma is painful.
-Chokyi Nyima Rinpoche