Who is America ?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
KristenM

Re: Who is America ?

Post by KristenM »

I love Sasha Cohen and this show is awesome. I thought the Bachelorette girl part was the most sick, in a way. Really summed up the depravity of our current "society."
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

This is definitely one of the best, i.e. worst parts.

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Beyond face palm, straight into the realm of face fist!

Face-punch1.jpeg
Face-punch1.jpeg (17.62 KiB) Viewed 2821 times
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

On the flip side, his interviews with Bernie and Ted Keoppel demonstrate how decent and sane they are.

To be fair, some of those right winger guys seem to realize it's a joke and go along, but that itself says tons about their sensibilities.

Walter Kirn kind of has a point.

https://harpers.org/archive/2018/08/illiberal-values/

Bill Maher says similar all the time. Libs have no sense of humor.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Rinchen Dorje

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

Queequeg wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:43 pm On the flip side, his interviews with Bernie and Ted Keoppel demonstrate how decent and sane they are.

To be fair, some of those right winger guys seem to realize it's a joke and go along, but that itself says tons about their sensibilities.

will probably be tarred and feathered for this but that was an excellent, thought provoking, and well written article...
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

His bit with Bernie was hilarious:

KristenM

Post by KristenM »

Grigoris wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:36 pm Beyond face palm, straight into the realm of face fist!

Face-punch1.jpeg
I thought you would appreciate that. :)
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Queequeg wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:43 pm On the flip side, his interviews with Bernie and Ted Keoppel demonstrate how decent and sane they are.

Liberals that became conservatives. No surprise there. People change. Sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse.

As for Libs not having sense of humor... Some of the best comedians I know are social/political liberals. I think the funniest thing about liberal comedians is that their humor generally is based on the absurdity of reality (Sasha Cohen is a perfect example of this). As is this guy:

And, I mean, what is funny about conservative/reactionary humor? Racist, sexist and homophobic jokes. Ha-frakin'-ha? :shrug:

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

Dennis miller is the only right wing comedian I know of. .where is he now? :shrug:
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Bill Maher is not talking about comedians. Talking about all those speech police who have a fit over an off color joke. It's a minority, but a loud one.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Queequeg wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:43 pm
Bill Maher should talk...talk about no sense of humor...
Natan

Post by Natan »

TharpaChodron wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:49 pm This is definitely one of the best, i.e. worst parts.

The bright side of this vacuousness is perhaps they could easily be led to make aspirations and benefit from the happiness that dhRma brings.
Vajra fangs deliver vajra venom to your Mara body.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Malcolm wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:34 pm
I actually like his sense of humor... :shrug:

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Grigoris wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:06 pm
His jokes are ok, if a bit rough, but he a pretty humorless guy, actually...
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

Malcolm wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:40 pm
Grigoris wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:06 pm

His jokes are ok, if a bit rough, but he a pretty humorless guy, actually...
Most rabid atheists aren't that funny, imo.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

TharpaChodron wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:14 pmMost rabid atheists aren't that funny, imo.
Ever tried talking to a rabid Buddhist? Barrel of friggin' laughs, I tell yeah!

Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

SBC could go and troll Antifa and BLM activists and get similarly ridiculous material. Just sayin.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Queequeg wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:41 pm SBC could go and troll Antifa and BLM activists and get similarly ridiculous material. Just sayin.
Somehow I don't an Antifa would be dumb enough to believe that he could stop a Nazi by showing him his naked butt, or that arming child soldiers is intelligent and compassionate.

I've seen some pretty stupid Antifa in my life (being a supporter myself) but not that brain dead stupid.

Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Grigoris wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:43 pm
Queequeg wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:41 pm SBC could go and troll Antifa and BLM activists and get similarly ridiculous material. Just sayin.
Somehow I don't an Antifa would be dumb enough to believe that he could stop a Nazi by showing him his naked butt.
Or pull a ham? That was another bit in yesterday's episode. I can't sit through a whole episode in one sitting. It makes me cringe.

I think some of these guys realize its a bit and to an extent play along. That's not to say they're not acting out their views... It takes a certain personality to go along with that kind of stuff. I think the technical word is, "silly man" or "buffoon." There's also interviews with serious people - right and left - and they size up how ridiculous the SBC character is and they call it out. There's humor in that, too.

There is one character that he uses that pokes fun of hyper PC lefty - the balding guy with the pony tail and NPR shirt and pussy hat. Basically a caricature. One of the best bits is that guy announcing the building of a Mosque in Arizona. Woot. That was nuts.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Grigoris wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:43 pm I've seen some pretty stupid Antifa in my life (being a supporter myself) but not that brain dead stupid.
There was that video of the protesters in Berkely, a squat Asian chick scolding a goofy tall white guy for acting out white privilege...

I bet those people could be caught into a ridiculous situation for comedic value.

And Rachel Dolezol. :roll: mic drop.

Point is, the comedic angle would be different. Similar humor, not the same.

Return to “Lounge”