Meditation timer app?

Discussion of meditation in the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions.
LoveFromColorado

Meditation timer app?

Post by LoveFromColorado »

Hello,

Cany anyone recommend a good meditation app with a gentle tone that can be a timer, a reminder to meditate, and silence other notifications (i.e. Do Not Disturb)? I have an app on Android creatively named "Meditation Timer" which is great and does most of this (except the reminder) but the actual timer sound is a jarring gong sound. If there could be a more gentle sound (like a softly struck prayer bowl) then that would be preferable.

Thanks in advance!
boda

Re: Meditation timer app?

Post by boda »

There's a good one called: Insight Timer. Lots of sounds and controls, but I don't think it has a feature for turning off all notifications.
LolCat

Post by LolCat »

Try Insight Timer, you can choose the tones for starting and ending sessions. It also has the reminder feature I think, I have never used it though. The one downside may be that it may be Overkill, it has a lot of other stuff you might not care for.
Tergar recently put out a meditation app which I think has the features you want, but I haven't used it yet.

Edit - didn't see the previous post recommending insight timer already. :|
Jeff H

Post by Jeff H »

I use Insight Timer and like it very much. It's got way more extras than I care about at all, but it's not like you're paying for anything you don't use, it's free. I'm sure some people find the frills useful.

I only use the timer. It has a very good selection of chimes. You control the volume and the number of times a bell chimes (1, 2, or 3). You can create any number of pre-set sessions for different length sessions and with different bell configurations.

I see the Android version does have a reminder and a do-not-disturb. But when you select DND, it says you must give permissions, and it isn't clear to me what the different permissions are. You could experiment and see what it does. I just use Android's built-in DND. I set it with a swipe and 2 taps.

Where now is my mind engaged? - Shantideva
LoveFromColorado

Post by LoveFromColorado »

Perfect! I could not find the DND setting and just did - thanks for the help. A much gentle tone now :)
passel

Post by passel »

You don’t need a gentle tone; literally anything will do, no need to fuss w conditions.
"I have made a heap of all that I have met"- Svetonious
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

I like this very simple timer with a nice bell tone:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... imer&hl=en
All it does is time. Plays a quiet bell at the start and a louder bell three times at the end.
While any tone would be fine for personal use, a pleasant tone is handy in a group setting (rather than carrying around a physical bell...).

As others have said, turning a phone silent is easy, so I don't need the timer app to do that for me.

:heart:
Mike
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

Insight Timer is brilliant. Look no further.
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
Emmet

Post by Emmet »

I'd practiced for years with some very strong brick-and-mortar sanghas. When I became ill, we moved to a small rural village to be closer to family. Insight Timer is programmable; I was able to select a chime which sounded very much like the inkin bell at my "home temple", and set the sequence and interval just like I had been taught as doan, then save it as a routine I could activate at the touch of a button. After keeping time for the sangha for so long, having Insight Timer do it for me seemed quite luxurious, and I found the continuity of familiar sounds and routine comforting, and helped ease the transition from group to solitary practice.
https://insighttimer.com
Anders

Post by Anders »

I use the zazen meditation app. I like the feature of it having multiple rounds.
"Even if my body should be burnt to death in the fires of hell
I would endure it for myriad lifetimes
As your companion in practice"

--- Gandavyuha Sutra
Jangchub Dorje

Post by Jangchub Dorje »

Admin_PC
Former staff member

Post by Admin_PC »

Wayfarer wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:42 am Insight Timer is brilliant. Look no further.
Just started using this one because my old go-to Zazen Suite app stopped working at some point.
I like it so far. The social aspect of it is surprisingly motivating. Just wish there were more modes (like "sutra").
Always open to adding new friends on there, if anybody's interested just hit me up in PM.
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

Medigong here. Nothing but a timer and a gong. Adjustable and persistent settings for screen brilliance, volume, enable start/interval/end gongs and intervals. Hit the button and close your eyes, no ads no stats, no "social" features

OTOH one does have to remember to turn off the phone ringer and vibration notification.
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

Is there a Dharma Wheel group on Insight Timer? I'm on there too :smile:
Namu Amida Butsu
Admin_PC
Former staff member

Post by Admin_PC »

Monlam Tharchin wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:28 pm Is there a Dharma Wheel group on Insight Timer? I'm on there too :smile:
There's a Dhamma Wheel group, but not a Dharma Wheel group. At least as far as I could find.
Should we set one up?
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

For sure! Although to be honest my usage of Insight is very minimal, literally just timing and reporting. (I’m participating in a 365-day sit for 2018.) My wife istens to many of the guided meditations but I am just using the timer.

One thing I would love to investigate is the incorporation of Pali chants into a guided meditations. There’s an ‘author mode’ which allows you to produce guided meditations and upload them however whatever you upload then becomes generally available so I haven’t gotten around to trying. I am thinking of homage, refuge, and the basic Pali chants.
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
Admin_PC
Former staff member

Post by Admin_PC »

Oops. I don't think i can make a group with the free version of the app. if that changes, i'll post here if i take a stab at creating one.

Sutra recitation would be pretty cool to add like the pali chants you mentioned - either done one syllable at a time with a woodenfish, or just read out loud. That probably requires paid app as well.
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

Created and pending approval. Membership is open to all. It's obviously not associated in an official way with this forum.

:cheers:
Namu Amida Butsu
lobsangrinchen

Post by lobsangrinchen »

I purchased an apple watch primarily to use as a mindfulness reminder - currently using an app called Dii, this just "pings" my wrist every 30 minutes to remind me to center myself and take a few moments to practice.

the insight app seems interesting as well, I will look into it!

Return to “Meditation”