How to discover tibetan buddhism?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
fornoxe

How to discover tibetan buddhism?

Post by fornoxe »

Hi everyone,
1 uo.
New on this forum, i do quick presentation. I'm a french guy,, 31yo. I will go soon in Sri Lanka to discover Theravada tradition. During 6 months. But after that, I will go in India, in Cachemire, to do the same. Practising in monastery during 6 months. And go inside the Shanga.
But, theravada is more or less quite homogeneous.

In tibetan buddhism, you have school who looks like very different. Maybe its a false view.

So I'm looking for a website or a book (in french will be awesome...) who can explain the difference.

I have the idea that the tibetan buddhism is quite secret. Like it's easy to go in librairy and find books about hapiness and stull from tibetan monk but after that good information (in french) is quite hard. Just wikipedia offer to me some good short information.

So, do you have some stuff to share with me?

Be a monk is similar in tibetan buddhism or each school have in own "politic" to oder, especially westerner ?

Can we find good book esplaining the tantra bouddhism who is tibetan bouddhism?

I have to go there directly to find information or information on internet are reliable?

Feel free to tell me what you want :)

Thank you
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Re: How to discover tibetan buddhism?

Post by Wayfarer »

Greetings and welcome to DharmaWheel. :hi:

You are clearly someone with a sincere interest, as you are travelling to SE Asia to study. That is very impressive.

Certainly there are some aspects of the Buddhist traditions which are treated as secret but there is also a huge amount of texts and teachings which are not. And also despite the many differences between different Buddhist schools there are core ideas which are common to all. I think if you study them first in depth, then it will be easier to appreciate the differences later.

Anyway, as I say, welcome and enjoy your stay.
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

fornoxe wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:26 am Hi everyone,
1 uo.
New on this forum, i do quick presentation. I'm a french guy,, 31yo. I will go soon in Sri Lanka to discover Theravada tradition. During 6 months. But after that, I will go in India, in Cachemire, to do the same. Practising in monastery during 6 months. And go inside the Shanga.
But, theravada is more or less quite homogeneous.

In tibetan buddhism, you have school who looks like very different. Maybe its a false view.

So I'm looking for a website or a book (in french will be awesome...) who can explain the difference.

I have the idea that the tibetan buddhism is quite secret. Like it's easy to go in librairy and find books about hapiness and stull from tibetan monk but after that good information (in french) is quite hard. Just wikipedia offer to me some good short information.

So, do you have some stuff to share with me?

Be a monk is similar in tibetan buddhism or each school have in own "politic" to oder, especially westerner ?

Can we find good book esplaining the tantra bouddhism who is tibetan bouddhism?

I have to go there directly to find information or information on internet are reliable?

Feel free to tell me what you want :)

Thank you
Hi welcome.I wanted to share with you the top right hand corner where it
says search. :thumbsup:
fornoxe

Post by fornoxe »

Wayfarer wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:38 am Greetings and welcome to DharmaWheel. :hi:

You are clearly someone with a sincere interest, as you are travelling to SE Asia to study. That is very impressive.

Certainly there are some aspects of the Buddhist traditions which are treated as secret but there is also a huge amount of texts and teachings which are not. And also despite the many differences between different Buddhist schools there are core ideas which are common to all. I think if you study them first in depth, then it will be easier to appreciate the differences later.

Anyway, as I say, welcome and enjoy your stay.
The core is the lamrim?

This book I have to study? or someone else?
fornoxe

Post by fornoxe »

[/quote]
[/quote]

I tried, but I dont have the right key word to find something.

search.php?keywords=difference&terms=al ... mit=Search

search.php?keywords=monk&terms=all&auth ... mit=Search
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

1 uo.
After practicing in Sri Lanka you are going to practice at a Shangpa place in Kashmir? Shangpa as an organization doesn't really exist per se anymore as it influenced all of the TB lineages and was absorbed by several (esp. Kagyu, Sakya and some Nyingma).

Après avoir pratiqué au Sri Lanka, vous allez pratiquer à Shangpa au Cachemire? Shangpa, en tant qu'organisation, n'existe plus vraiment en soi car elle a influencé toutes les lignées de TB et a été absorbée par plusieurs (notamment Kagyu, Sakya et certains Nyingma).

Tibetan Buddhism is essentially the same across all the lineages although there are some differences in some practices and methods. The real main difference is in terms of the ultimate view of mind but even that differs only in very fine points really.

Le bouddhisme tibétain est essentiellement le même dans toutes les lignées, même si certaines pratiques et méthodes présentent certaines différences. La vraie différence principale réside dans la vision ultime de l'esprit, mais même cela ne diffère que par de très bons points.

Union Bouddhiste de France
Bouddhisme tibétain en France : Centre d’étude et de pratique Drikung Kagyü Rinchen Pal
La Communauté Bouddhiste d’Alsace
Sakya Tsechen Ling
L'école Nyingmapa
La communauté de méditation Tergar
Fédération du Bouddhisme Tibétain
Kagyu Dzong
Dhagpo Kagyu Ling
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Should be:
kirtu wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:23 pm Tibetan Buddhism is essentially the same across all the lineages although there are some differences in some practices and methods. The real main difference is in terms of the ultimate view of mind but even that differs only in very fine points really.

Le bouddhisme tibétain est essentiellement le même dans toutes les lignées, même si certaines pratiques et méthodes présentent certaines différences. La vraie différence principale réside dans la vision ultime de l'esprit, mais même cela ne diffère que par des points très précis.
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

The main differences between the four Tibetan schools of Buddhism (mostly from an organizational perspective)
Les Voies différentes du Bouddhisme et les Quatre Ecoles bouddhiques au Tibet

The Four Lineages, Do Khyenste Rinpoche
LES QUATRE LIGNÉES

The schools of Tibetan Buddhism, a blog article
Les écoles du bouddhisme tibétain

In general the more in depth resources in French (as far as I know [and I don't explore them in French much]) will be found through Alexander Berzin and the Dhagpo Kagyu group primarily. I am aware of some in Belgium as well (Kagyu Dzong just outside of Brussels [although most of there stuff is in English]) and in Switzerland though Geshe Ampia.

Berzin does go into detail in English and German and can go into detail in French and other languages.
Study Buddhism - Berzin Archives

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

kirtu wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:23 pm
1 uo.
After practicing in Sri Lanka you are going to practice at a Shangpa place in Kashmir? Shangpa as an organization doesn't really exist per se anymore as it influenced all of the TB lineages and was absorbed by several (esp. Kagyu, Sakya and some Nyingma).

Après avoir pratiqué au Sri Lanka, vous allez pratiquer à Shangpa au Cachemire? Shangpa, en tant qu'organisation, n'existe plus vraiment en soi car elle a influencé toutes les lignées de TB et a été absorbée par plusieurs (notamment Kagyu, Sakya et certains Nyingma).

Tibetan Buddhism is essentially the same across all the lineages although there are some differences in some practices and methods. The real main difference is in terms of the ultimate view of mind but even that differs only in very fine points really.

Le bouddhisme tibétain est essentiellement le même dans toutes les lignées, même si certaines pratiques et méthodes présentent certaines différences. La vraie différence principale réside dans la vision ultime de l'esprit, mais même cela ne diffère que par de très bons points.

Bouddhisme tibétain en France : Centre d’étude et de pratique Drikung Kagyü Rinchen Pal
Sakya Tsechen Ling
L'école Nyingmapa
Kagyu Dzong
Dhagpo Kagyu Ling
I think he means "Sangha" instead of Shangpa.???
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

conebeckham wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:17 pm I think he means "Sangha" instead of Shangpa.???
Oh, that makes more sense. Thanks!

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

fornoxe wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:49 am

Our search is also not the best, unfortunately.

difference AND "Tibetan Buddhism" AND schools yields 63 entries (lineages instead of schools yields 15).

You have to play with it a bit.

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Motova

Post by Motova »

Read Dalai Lama books.
To become a rain man one must master the ten virtues and sciences.
fornoxe

Post by fornoxe »

Thank you everyone!
I will like that carefully! Now i am on my phone I will reply next week with new things to ask.

Right now,I feel a big gap between theravada and tiberan buddhism. Especially about tantra. Meditation technic/great tool in TB (tibetan buddhism thats right?).

Cheers everyone :hug:
fornoxe

Post by fornoxe »

I did party yesterday. So obviouly, that "I will like that carefully" is not right. I will read it carefully seems better. My bad. :shrug:
fornoxe

Post by fornoxe »

kirtu wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:23 pm
1 uo.

Sakya Tsechen Ling
L'école Nyingmapa
Kagyu Dzong
Dhagpo Kagyu Ling
Thanks for the links. And yes, I spoke about Shanga not Shangpa. BUT, what I can read about them on wiki looks very interresting.

"Durant toute son histoire, la lignée Shangpa ne s’est jamais transformée en institution ou en école. Elle est avant tout une lignée de pratique et n’a jamais été impliquée dans les luttes pour le pouvoir ou les richesses. "

I could not find wiki us so its in french.

Can you explain if you want about the difference in terms of the ultimate view of mind? Sound interresting :smile:

Cheers
fornoxe

Post by fornoxe »

kirtu wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:23 pm
fornoxe wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:49 am

Our search is also not the best, unfortunately.

difference AND "Tibetan Buddhism" AND schools yields 63 entries (lineages instead of schools yields 15).

You have to play with it a bit.
I read the topic title of your research and for me, that not so accurate at all.

In fact, I'm looking for this link (I found it some weeks before this topic) : http://buddhadharma.over-blog.fr/articl ... 12540.html but in much much more develop. :bow:

:hug:
fornoxe

Post by fornoxe »

This topic looks great viewtopic.php?f=39&t=14040&p=184318&hil ... ls#p184318 but i want something difference between school.

When I will go in Cachemire, I would like to know a bit where I will go.

:reading:

:sage:
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

fornoxe wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:12 pm This topic looks great viewtopic.php?f=39&t=14040&p=184318&hil ... ls#p184318 but i want something difference between school.

When I will go in Cachemire, I would like to know a bit where I will go.

:reading:

:sage:
Where in Cachemire (Kashmir) are you going? Kashmir is half in Pakistan and the other half is sort of bordering Lhadak but I'm not aware of much Buddhadharma in Kashmir these days (but maybe I missed a place).

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
fornoxe

Post by fornoxe »

I dont know where I will. I will go where I will find monastery where I can stay and the tradition inspire me. :smile:

Le monastère de Sonada près de Darjeeling par exemple pourrait etre une début.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”