How do I know I'm doing things right?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Tenma

How do I know I'm doing things right?

Post by Tenma »

Okay so I've been trying to follow instructions on meditation such as this form of Thonglen:
http://www.lotsawahouse.org/tibetan-mas ... d-training
However, how do I know that I'm following the instructions properly? Or if I am doing a sadhana, how do I know I'm doing the right thing instead of mistaking stuff and so on? The answer "ask your lama" will not be considered yet as my time has not come to meet him/her yet. Other answer please.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Re: How do I know I'm doing things right?

Post by Ayu »

I believe, if you do it wrongly, you will feel it.
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

Bokar Rinpoche said in "Chenrezig: Lord of Love" something like, if you grow in compassion and love, your practice is progressing. Study, remember, cultivate bodhicitta as your basis in everything you think, say, and do. With such a foundation, any practice will bear fruit.
Namu Amida Butsu
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

Ayu wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:39 pm I believe, if you do it wrongly, you will feel it.
Wouldn't that be deluding yourself? For example, I really look through a Manjushri sadhana after receiving its empowerment before later on realizing I didn't do the practice right(like 5 dhyani Buddhas empowerment, memorizing the various extra mantras and not just the main one, etc.). The same with a Short Tun that had a few revisions for me where I had no commentary, thus following the sadhana and guessing until when I read the commentary, I had to change aspects of the practice.
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

Tenma wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:06 pm Okay so I've been trying to follow instructions on meditation such as this form of Thonglen:
However, how do I know that I'm following the instructions properly? Or if I am doing a sadhana, how do I know I'm doing the right thing instead of mistaking stuff and so on? The answer "ask your lama" will not be considered yet as my time has not come to meet him/her yet. Other answer please.

i had more or less the same questions a few time ago.

the reticence of cut the grasp to an "i and them" diminishes, so the fear of giving the best of "i" and taking the worst of "them" dimishes. that you know that tonglen is working. look at your awareness, cognition, of "i and them" before, during and after doing tonglen. this awareness lead to another awareness: there is nothing to fear at all. fear diminishes means tonglen training is working.

regarding sadhana, i don't know what or how you are applying, but i did lot of tonglen through an Avalokitesvara anuyoga sadhana and i totally recomend it.

in general the way of check if one is doing things right is by looking at tawa, gonpa and chopa, corresponding to what you are applying. :shrug:
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
passel

Post by passel »

Start with refuge and bodhicitta, during the main part practice to the best of your ability and understanding, and dedicate the merit at the end. Think reflectively and pay attention to external feedback. Develop experience and seek out practitioners who are senior to you. Best of luck.
"I have made a heap of all that I have met"- Svetonious
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Post by Konchog Thogme Jampa »

javier.espinoza.t wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:21 pm
Tenma wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:06 pm Okay so I've been trying to follow instructions on meditation such as this form of Thonglen:

the reticence of cut the grasp to an "i and them" diminishes, so the fear of giving the best of "i" and taking the worst of "them" dimishes. that you know that tonglen is working. look at your awareness, cognition, of "i and them" before, during and after doing tonglen. this awareness lead to another awareness: there is nothing to fear at all. fear diminishes means tonglen training is working.

regarding sadhana, i don't know what or how you are applying, but i did lot of tonglen through an Avalokitesvara anuyoga sadhana and i totally recomend it.

in general the way of check if one is doing things right is by looking at tawa, gonpa and chopa, corresponding to what you are applying. :shrug:
What is the Sadhana? Can you PM it to me, plus practice requirements!!??
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

Empty Desire wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:21 am

it is called avalokitesvara korwa tongthrug, it requieres at least the lung transmission.

i'm sorry i can't share it that way haha, sorry. the booklet is so cheap that i bet the cargo cost is more expensive.

in any case, i don't see why you could't use any paceful action sadhana (avalokite, tara, manju, etc.)

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Konchog Thogme Jampa

javier.espinoza.t wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:43 am

it is called avalokitesvara korwa tongthrug, it requieres at least the lung transmission.

i'm sorry i can't share it that way haha, sorry. the booklet is so cheap that i bet the cargo cost is more expensive.

in any case, i don't see why you could't use any paceful action sadhana (avalokite, tara, manju, etc.)
Thank-you!!

I'm following Garchen's instructions on Tonglen he recently gave, I'm practising Chenrezig so was excited about the possibility of combining the two together.

Not sure how though!!!

I will investigate!!

Thank-you again!!!
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

Empty Desire wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:50 am

Thank-you!!

I'm following Garchen's instructions on Tonglen he recently gave, I'm practising Chenrezig so was excited about the possibility of combining the two together.

Not sure how though!!!

I will investigate!!

Thank-you again!!!
Wait, so I can add on the practice of Ganges Mahamudra that Garchen Rinpoche gave to the sadhana practice of Manjushri he gave as well?
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Tenma wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:40 am

Thank-you!!

Not sure how though!!!

I will investigate!!

Thank-you again!!!
Wait, so I can add on the practice of Ganges Mahamudra that Garchen Rinpoche gave to the sadhana practice of Manjushri he gave as well?
He said you could perform Tonglen with a Sadhana.
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

Tenma wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:40 am

Thank-you!!

Not sure how though!!!

I will investigate!!

Thank-you again!!!
i don't know :broke: and frankly i don't know mahamudra

conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

There is so much confusion here.

TongLen means "taking and sending." It is part of the Mahayana, really, part of the transmission of "LoJong" or "Mind Training."

It can be incorporated into any Deity yoga practice, though.....if you have empowerment and transmission, you simply perform taking and sending while self-generating as the deity.

I strongly recommend Bokar Rinpoche's "Chenrezig: Lord of Love." Even without a connection to a teacher, if you follow the instructions you cannot do harm to yourself, and will very likely benefit yourself and maybe even other sentient beings. But above all, cultivate the aspiration to meet a true spiritual friend, or a true Vajrayana Guru. In the meantime, visualize yourself as Chenrezig, and practice the visualization of taking and sending, using the breath. And don't worry too much.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Tenma wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:40 am Wait, so I can add on the practice of Ganges Mahamudra that Garchen Rinpoche gave to the sadhana practice of Manjushri he gave as well?
Don't worry. If you want to follow Garchen Rinpoche Mahamudra the Ngondro for Fivefold Mahamudra would be the place to start. His Fivefold Mahamudra has Deity Yoga within it though following that. I've never participated in Ganges Mahamudra so cannot comment.

If you are referring to the Yamantaka he gave recently? I would advise staying close to the instructions he gave that accompanied.

Keep it simple, don't let it all take you over. Find a guide/teacher just focus on one or two practices. The Ngondro would be suitable maybe!!!!
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

conebeckham wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:27 am There is so much confusion here.

TongLen means "taking and sending." It is part of the Mahayana, really, part of the transmission of "LoJong" or "Mind Training."

It can be incorporated into any Deity yoga practice, though.....if you have empowerment and transmission, you simply perform taking and sending while self-generating as the deity.

I strongly recommend Bokar Rinpoche's "Chenrezig: Lord of Love." Even without a connection to a teacher, if you follow the instructions you cannot do harm to yourself, and will very likely benefit yourself and maybe even other sentient beings. But above all, cultivate the aspiration to meet a true spiritual friend, or a true Vajrayana Guru. In the meantime, visualize yourself as Chenrezig, and practice the visualization of taking and sending, using the breath. And don't worry too much.
:good: That book changed my life.
Namu Amida Butsu
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

Empty Desire wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:52 am
Tenma wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:40 am Wait, so I can add on the practice of Ganges Mahamudra that Garchen Rinpoche gave to the sadhana practice of Manjushri he gave as well?
Don't worry. If you want to follow Garchen Rinpoche Mahamudra the Ngondro for Fivefold Mahamudra would be the place to start. His Fivefold Mahamudra has Deity Yoga within it though following that. I've never participated in Ganges Mahamudra so cannot comment.

If you are referring to the Yamantaka he gave recently? I would advise staying close to the instructions he gave that accompanied.

Keep it simple, don't let it all take you over. Find a guide/teacher just focus on one or two practices. The Ngondro would be suitable maybe!!!!
No, Vagishvara, Lord of Speech through a recorded webcast in January. Yamantaka is not my level. Not too sure if a teenager can be a ngondro with tons of school work, violin, and Christian parents.
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Tenma wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:27 am
Empty Desire wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:52 am

No, Vagishvara, Lord of Speech through a recorded webcast in January. Yamantaka is not my level. Not too sure if a teenager can be a ngondro with tons of school work, violin, and Christian parents.
Maybe bookmark for the future!!!!

Back to the original question, if you are becoming more empathetic, compassionate, everyone will be grateful!!!

Then there's Garchen Rinpoche's teaching on Tonglen which is on Scribd, which is a much more advanced 'View'.

All the best with your practice!!!!
Motova

Post by Motova »

If contentment and compassion increase.
To become a rain man one must master the ten virtues and sciences.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”