How do we deal with working amongst unprofessional co workers?

bcol01

How do we deal with working amongst unprofessional co workers?

Post by bcol01 »

I am in the process of looking for a decent job while I attend school online to further my education. In my current job, I work around others who are often rude and just plain unprofessional. How can I deal with these types of individuals while maintaining my composure and own sense of professionalism? Thank you.
In his writing, Hokkemongu (Words and Phrases of the Lotus Sutra), The Great Master Nichiren said, “If the practitioners of the Lotus Sutra wholeheartedly devote their life to the Lotus Sutra and practice according to its golden words, it is certainly needless to say that not only in the next life, but also in this lifetime they will overcome severe difficulty, prolong their life, receive the great, good fortune of unsurpassed enlightenment, and accomplish the great vow of the widespread, propagation of True Buddhism.”
amanitamusc

Re: How do we deal with working amongst unprofessional co workers?

Post by amanitamusc »

bcol01 wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:58 am I am in the process of looking for a decent job while I attend school online to further my education. In my current job, I work around others who are often rude and just plain unprofessional. How can I deal with these types of individuals while maintaining my composure and own sense of professionalism? Thank you.
With obstacles like this it is a great opportunity to develop patience .
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

concur, likewise tolerance. A lot depends on what "unprofessional" means. For instance is the conduct just annoying or is it destructive. I have a coworker with quite difficult habits of personality, the grapevine suggests this behavior is not new and unlikely to change. He teaches me to not engage and not allow him to interrupt my conversation in progress with others. I would like to be a better student in that way, staying patient can be challenging but it does occur to me that it must be stressful for him to live in such a manner and he always has to go home with himself.
Marc

Post by Marc »

amanitamusc wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:14 am
bcol01 wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:58 am I am in the process of looking for a decent job while I attend school online to further my education. In my current job, I work around others who are often rude and just plain unprofessional. How can I deal with these types of individuals while maintaining my composure and own sense of professionalism? Thank you.
Indeed !
The ability to change our perspective, and stop seeing such situations as "problems" but rather as opportunity to develop qualities is of crucial importance.  (And I don't only mean patient endurance, but also social skills like tact, diplomacy...)

Not easy... But necessary...

On a side note, we should of course be wise & skilful, by not throwing ourselves in situations that are completely beyond our capacities ;)
Life will most probably take provide plenty of those anyhow...
bcol01

Post by bcol01 »

Marc, there is great wisdom in what you've said. Difficult people can be opportunities for us to grow and develop patience and compassion, if we choose to relate to it that way. There is power in that and powerlessness in succumbing to these difficulties. Thank you for your insight. I deeply appreciate it. **Gassho**
Marc wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:41 pm
amanitamusc wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:14 am
Indeed !
The ability to change our perspective, and stop seeing such situations as "problems" but rather as opportunity to develop qualities is of crucial importance.  (And I don't only mean patient endurance, but also social skills like tact, diplomacy...)

Not easy... But necessary...

On a side note, we should of course be wise & skilful, by not throwing ourselves in situations that are completely beyond our capacities ;)
Life will most probably take provide plenty of those anyhow...
In his writing, Hokkemongu (Words and Phrases of the Lotus Sutra), The Great Master Nichiren said, “If the practitioners of the Lotus Sutra wholeheartedly devote their life to the Lotus Sutra and practice according to its golden words, it is certainly needless to say that not only in the next life, but also in this lifetime they will overcome severe difficulty, prolong their life, receive the great, good fortune of unsurpassed enlightenment, and accomplish the great vow of the widespread, propagation of True Buddhism.”
Spiritual_living

Post by Spiritual_living »

It depends on how much you can put up with. Sometimes in the option is getting another job.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Your response will vary according to the kind of rudeness& unprofessionalism that is presented to you. Some of it is illegal (workplace harrassment for example) depending on where you live. Some of it is just something you have to tolerate (like an adult who chews gum, loudly, with mouth open, while trying to hold a conversation in an office environment).
Marc

Post by Marc »

I'm glad these few words could be of some help :namaste:
bcol01 wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:35 pm Marc, there is great wisdom in what you've said. Difficult people can be opportunities for us to grow and develop patience and compassion, if we choose to relate to it that way. There is power in that and powerlessness in succumbing to these difficulties. Thank you for your insight. I deeply appreciate it. **Gassho**
bcol01

Post by bcol01 »

:)
I suppose the other aspect of my situation is that I have this guy I work with and he's not even a manager but yet he constantly feels the need to approach me to either tell me what to do or how something is suppose to be done or just to correct me in some way. He's even called me at home on my personal time with things that could be discussed at work that really aren't even his job. Yikes. How do I stand up to this guy without making an already tense work environment worse?
Marc wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:33 pm I'm glad these few words could be of some help :namaste:
bcol01 wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:35 pm Marc, there is great wisdom in what you've said. Difficult people can be opportunities for us to grow and develop patience and compassion, if we choose to relate to it that way. There is power in that and powerlessness in succumbing to these difficulties. Thank you for your insight. I deeply appreciate it. **Gassho**
Marc

Post by Marc »

Hmmm... This is easier said than done but:  
Whenever he's on your back, correcting you, you have a precious opportunity to see and feel the mechanism of the ego at work:
Tensing & tightening up, defending one's point of view etc...  
You could, (if you remember to !!!), try to simply notice and see clearly those, and try to relax, with patience, goodwill & compassion.
This guy probably has some big insecurity issues to be on your back so much...

OK. As said above: Easier said than done.  

If this is really heavy, disturbing your work you could:
- Try to skillfully tell him than you appreciate "his concern & advices" but that this is a little bit too much for you...
- If he does not cooperate, then you should speak, without making too much fuss, with your common manager to solve the situation.  

Hope this helps.
Cheers
M

bcol01 wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:54 am :)
I suppose the other aspect of my situation is that I have this guy I work with and he's not even a manager but yet he constantly feels the need to approach me to either tell me what to do or how something is suppose to be done or just to correct me in some way. He's even called me at home on my personal time with things that could be discussed at work that really aren't even his job. Yikes. How do I stand up to this guy without making an already tense work environment worse?
Marc wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:33 pm I'm glad these few words could be of some help :namaste:
bcol01

Post by bcol01 »

Thanks again Marc. So much.
Marc wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:20 pm Hmmm... This is easier said than done but:  
Whenever he's on your back, correcting you, you have a precious opportunity to see and feel the mechanism of the ego at work:
Tensing & tightening up, defending one's point of view etc...  
You could, (if you remember to !!!), try to simply notice and see clearly those, and try to relax, with patience, goodwill & compassion.
This guy probably has some big insecurity issues to be on your back so much...

OK. As said above: Easier said than done.  

If this is really heavy, disturbing your work you could:
- Try to skillfully tell him than you appreciate "his concern & advices" but that this is a little bit too much for you...
- If he does not cooperate, then you should speak, without making too much fuss, with your common manager to solve the situation.  

Hope this helps.
Cheers
M

amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

Don't bath for a couple of weeks.Make some space.And or.
This person could be hitting on you.To find out do the flirty thing with your eyelashes.
When you find out explain yourself assertively however it goes.
Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín »

Not taking a bath can get someone fired. Similarly, overly flirtatious behaviour can be sexual harassment.

So funny ideas, but not maybe ones that out to be enacted, especially in a professional environment.
Then, the monks uttered this gāthā:

These bodies are like foam.
Them being frail, who can rejoice in them?
The Buddha attained the vajra-body.
Still, it becomes inconstant and ruined.
The many Buddhas are vajra-entities.
All are also subject to inconstancy.
Quickly ended, like melting snow --
how could things be different?

The Buddha passed into parinirvāṇa afterward.
(T1.27b10 Mahāparinirvāṇasūtra DĀ 2)
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

Coëmgenu wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:08 pm Not taking a bath can get someone fired. Similarly, overly flirtatious behaviour can be sexual harassment.

So funny ideas, but not maybe ones that out to be enacted, especially in a professional environment.

I was just adding some silliness into a serious but not life threatening situation.
:woohoo:

Return to “Nichiren”