White Tara Mantra

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Post Reply
User avatar
Empty Desire
Posts: 114
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:48 am

White Tara Mantra

Post by Empty Desire » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:40 am

Hi

I have a friend who is attracted to White Tara, but maybe the Empowerment is a step too far at this point.

I heard from another Vajrayana practitioner that there are some Mantras non-initiates can recite.

Seeking clarity on whether or not a non-empowered practitioner can recite the White Tara Mantra with no issue or problem.

Also, does the Medicine Buddha, Mani Mantra, Guru Rinpoche Mantra and any others potentially fall into that category?

Finally, I know it is not possible to do ANY self-generation without initiation, but can somebody do visualisation say of White Tara or Medicine Buddha for example along with the Mantra as a form of practice. Just visualising and reciting the Mantra.

I can think of many people who are not ready to initiate but could really use the benefit.

Thank-you!!!!
No Beginning, No End, Just Mind......

Attachment's True Face is Aversion....

Tenma
Posts: 699
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:25 am

Re: White Tara Mantra

Post by Tenma » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:49 am

Empty Desire wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:40 am
Hi

I have a friend who is attracted to White Tara, but maybe the Empowerment is a step too far at this point.

I heard from another Vajrayana practitioner that there are some Mantras non-initiates can recite.

Seeking clarity on whether or not a non-empowered practitioner can recite the White Tara Mantra with no issue or problem.

Also, does the Medicine Buddha, Mani Mantra, Guru Rinpoche Mantra and any others potentially fall into that category?

Finally, I know it is not possible to do ANY self-generation without initiation, but can somebody do visualisation say of White Tara or Medicine Buddha for example along with the Mantra as a form of practice. Just visualising and reciting the Mantra.

I can think of many people who are not ready to initiate but could really use the benefit.

Thank-you!!!!
Medicine Buddha and Mani Mantras are sutric mantras, so they can be recited. Guru Rinpoche's mantra can be recited and yes, one can take in these deities without becoming one with them.
If your friend wishes to practice White Tara, it is alright, but try getting it from Garchen Rinpoche or in a recorded empowerment of him giving White Tara.

User avatar
Lingpupa
Posts: 233
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:13 am

Re: White Tara Mantra

Post by Lingpupa » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:47 am

Your practitioner friend is correct. As a general rule (there are, of course, exceptions) it is held that mantras that are taught in the sutras do not require empowerment. Equally, as a general rule, in most cases there are empowerments, and it is held that the practice will be more effective if the empowerment is received. Mantras that only are found in the tantras generally do require empowerment.

So Chenrezi's 6 syllables are absolutely open to anybody who feels inspired to recite them. There are, of course again, lots of empowerments, including Chenrezi as a full-blooded tantric yidam. These are all bonus points.

The same definitely applies to Tara, at least in the standard form, and I'm pretty sure as white Tara as well. Guru Rinpoche as well, notwithstanding the innumerable high and low empowerments associated with him, can be recited by anyone who has faith in him.

As far as I know, Medicine Buddha is a little bit of a grey area. I think that the practice is classified as Tantric, and that officially you should have an empowerment to practice it. On the other hand, it is quite a "mild" practice (if you know what I mean), and very popular, so I don't think you would get into trouble, as it were, for reciting mantra without empowerment. I have a suspicion, however, that opinion would be that it's not going to do you a lot of good if you don't get the empowerment.

One advantage of the mani is that you can do practice such as be widely known Benefiting Beings As Vast As Space by Thangtong Gyalpo, the commentary on which by the 15th Karmapa, A Continuous Rain to Benefit Beings, is also easily available. But of course, if Tara is your bag, go for it!
All the best
Alex Wilding
Stupa in the Snow blog at http://chagchen.org/

User avatar
Empty Desire
Posts: 114
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:48 am

Re: White Tara Mantra

Post by Empty Desire » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:08 am

Lingpupa wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:47 am
Your practitioner friend is correct. As a general rule (there are, of course, exceptions) it is held that mantras that are taught in the sutras do not require empowerment. Equally, as a general rule, in most cases there are empowerments, and it is held that the practice will be more effective if the empowerment is received. Mantras that only are found in the tantras generally do require empowerment.

So Chenrezi's 6 syllables are absolutely open to anybody who feels inspired to recite them. There are, of course again, lots of empowerments, including Chenrezi as a full-blooded tantric yidam. These are all bonus points.

The same definitely applies to Tara, at least in the standard form, and I'm pretty sure as white Tara as well. Guru Rinpoche as well, notwithstanding the innumerable high and low empowerments associated with him, can be recited by anyone who has faith in him.

As far as I know, Medicine Buddha is a little bit of a grey area. I think that the practice is classified as Tantric, and that officially you should have an empowerment to practice it. On the other hand, it is quite a "mild" practice (if you know what I mean), and very popular, so I don't think you would get into trouble, as it were, for reciting mantra without empowerment. I have a suspicion, however, that opinion would be that it's not going to do you a lot of good if you don't get the empowerment.

One advantage of the mani is that you can do practice such as be widely known Benefiting Beings As Vast As Space by Thangtong Gyalpo, the commentary on which by the 15th Karmapa, A Continuous Rain to Benefit Beings, is also easily available. But of course, if Tara is your bag, go for it!
Thank you so much, I found the Chenreizig Sadhana - looks interesting!!!

So then it would be OK to maybe do a front-visualisation of White Tara to increase the benefit, for my non-tantric friend!!??

I searched a bit and also found http://www.fpmtabc.org/download/sutra/S ... _fears.pdf which is Sutra so will recommend this and the Chenreizig also!!!

Appreciate your kind help!!
No Beginning, No End, Just Mind......

Attachment's True Face is Aversion....

Kushi
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 3:09 am

Re: White Tara Mantra

Post by Kushi » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:49 pm

I'm interested in this idea that "front" visualizations of Tara are acceptable for people who do not have empowerments. Where is this idea coming from? Would this apply to the forms of Tara in any of the 21-Tara systems?

User avatar
kirtu
Former staff member
Posts: 6175
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:29 pm
Location: Baltimore, MD

Re: White Tara Mantra

Post by kirtu » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:14 pm

Kushi wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:49 pm
I'm interested in this idea that "front" visualizations of Tara are acceptable for people who do not have empowerments. Where is this idea coming from?
It's mostly a kind of folk TB although lamas will also mention that one can practice the general sutric Buddhas and Arya Bodhisattvas. Another view is that in the TB cultural world these mantras would just be common knowledge and people would have encountered them from birth.
Would this apply to the forms of Tara in any of the 21-Tara systems?
IMHO, No. So there are at least three 21-Tara systems with detailed information regarding individual mantras and visualizations. Aside from Green Tara and White Tara these specific deities are not commonly known (they might be commonly known in specific households where a strong practice exists but not generally).

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Kushi
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 3:09 am

Re: White Tara Mantra

Post by Kushi » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:49 am

Interesting, thanks for elaborating.

Anyway - am I correct in thinking that the actual scripture that forms the basis for the 21 Tara practices (Praises to the 21 Taras) is unrestricted for purposes of reading, recitation, etc, despite being considered a tantra... whereas only the formalized visualization procedures derived from it (e.g, Suryagupta's 21 Taras) are restricted practices.

Edit: some unnecessary historical speculation with no bearing on the OP's question removed. I'll save it for another thread.

User avatar
kirtu
Former staff member
Posts: 6175
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:29 pm
Location: Baltimore, MD

Re: White Tara Mantra

Post by kirtu » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:02 pm

Kushi wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:49 am
Interesting, thanks for elaborating.

Anyway - am I correct in thinking that the actual scripture that forms the basis for the 21 Tara practices (Praises to the 21 Taras) is unrestricted for purposes of reading, recitation, etc, despite being considered a tantra... whereas only the formalized visualization procedures derived from it (e.g, Suryagupta's 21 Taras) are restricted practices.
Yes. Anyone can read/chant/practice the "Praises to the 21 Taras". They are commonly read everyday at every TB monastery. There is a practice just for the "Praises to the 21 Taras" itself.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Kushi
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 3:09 am

Re: White Tara Mantra

Post by Kushi » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:33 am

Thanks for that clarification!

Post Reply

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Fruitzilla, heart, humble.student, Mantrik, tatpurusa and 92 guests