Searching for a Teacher

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
sunandmoon

Searching for a Teacher

Post by sunandmoon »

Hey folks,

I've been looking for a Vajryana teacher for nearly two years now. Personally, I've been practicing fairly intensively for 10 years. First 3 years was in Zen. Then was in Theravada for about 5 years. A few years back, I felt drawn towards Tantra - the inclusiveness and wildness of it. I've been following it in my own eclectic, confused way for the last 2 years. I've been poking my head around here and there for a teacher, but haven't seemed to find someone right yet. Admittedly, I haven't been in a great hurry. There are a few I feel drawn to - the Arogter teacher, Doc Togden, seems pretty cool and I quite like his style, but I can't comment much more on him because I only have second-hand reports, Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche, Myingyur Rinpoche, and Ken McLeod - I was prospecting one of his students, as Ken's retired now and when I spoke with him he suggested one of his senior students instead, but distanced myself from that teacher after a few months - nothing bad happened, but still didn't feel confident that she was the right teacher for me.

I'll give some of my deluded and flexible preferences (besides the obvious - being an enlightened bad-a**-mother-f$*#er) to help flesh things out:
-I live in Thailand and I'll be living in Thailand for the foreseeable future. Having a teacher who's based nearby, which I'd roughly define as Asia, would be nice. I lived with my last teacher when I was a Theravadan monk. He mostly taught through example and presence, rather than through words. It's something I find valuable, although I know that with many of these rock-star gurus, that's a luxury that very, very few have. And that's one reason why...
-Not a rock-star guru. I prefer to work with teachers who have a small, closely-knit group of disciples who he/she works very closely with, rather than some of these teachers (no insult to them - much respect and love for what they're doing!) who have a hundred centers scattered all-over the globe and twenty-thousand disciples.
-Can speak English.
-More on the wild side - alcohol, firearms, and cigarettes, or all three at the same time, are greatly appreciated.
-Not rigidly traditional/more contemporary approach.

That's it. Much appreciation for your time and replies!

Let the crap-shoot begin!

:namaste:
Natan

Re: Searching for a Teacher

Post by Natan »

Go to Nepal
Vajra fangs deliver vajra venom to your Mara body.
Josef

Post by Josef »

Mingyur Rinpoche is highly recommended and his programs for distance learning to get started out are fantastic.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
kalden yungdrung

Post by kalden yungdrung »

sunandmoon wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:08 am Hey folks,

I've been looking for a Vajryana teacher for nearly two years now. Personally, I've been practicing fairly intensively for 10 years. First 3 years was in Zen. Then was in Theravada for about 5 years. A few years back, I felt drawn towards Tantra - the inclusiveness and wildness of it. I've been following it in my own eclectic, confused way for the last 2 years. I've been poking my head around here and there for a teacher, but haven't seemed to find someone right yet. Admittedly, I haven't been in a great hurry. There are a few I feel drawn to - the Arogter teacher, Doc Togden, seems pretty cool and I quite like his style, but I can't comment much more on him because I only have second-hand reports, Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche, Myingyur Rinpoche, and Ken McLeod - I was prospecting one of his students, as Ken's retired now and when I spoke with him he suggested one of his senior students instead, but distanced myself from that teacher after a few months - nothing bad happened, but still didn't feel confident that she was the right teacher for me.

I'll give some of my deluded and flexible preferences (besides the obvious - being an enlightened bad-a**-mother-f$*#er) to help flesh things out:
-I live in Thailand and I'll be living in Thailand for the foreseeable future. Having a teacher who's based nearby, which I'd roughly define as Asia, would be nice. I lived with my last teacher when I was a Theravadan monk. He mostly taught through example and presence, rather than through words. It's something I find valuable, although I know that with many of these rock-star gurus, that's a luxury that very, very few have. And that's one reason why...
-Not a rock-star guru. I prefer to work with teachers who have a small, closely-knit group of disciples who he/she works very closely with, rather than some of these teachers (no insult to them - much respect and love for what they're doing!) who have a hundred centers scattered all-over the globe and twenty-thousand disciples.
-Can speak English.
-More on the wild side - alcohol, firearms, and cigarettes, or all three at the same time, are greatly appreciated.
-Not rigidly traditional/more contemporary approach.

That's it. Much appreciation for your time and replies!

Let the crap-shoot begin!

:namaste:

Tashi delek,

Nice to hear that you will live or live in the land of smiles.

- Will also live within 2 years in Thailand, guess Chiang Mai or BKK maybe.
- Where are you living in Thailand ?
- I am looking for house sharing.

I know in the neighborhood of Hua Hin a non sectarian Tibetan Buddhist Community named 1000 Stars foundation.
There you can study everything out of the Lineage of the Kundrul Rinpoche.
His Lineage is based on Guru Rinpoche and Guru Rinpoche foretold / predictedalready a long time ago that a certain Tertön named Kundrul Lingpa would discover some precious Dharma Text, written by Yeshe Tsogyal.

Here are some further informations:
viewtopic.php?f=78&t=20867

If there are more questions, you could PM me maybe.

Best wishes
KY.
The best meditation is no meditation
PSM

Post by PSM »

Josef wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:07 pm Mingyur Rinpoche is highly recommended and his programs for distance learning to get started out are fantastic.
Absolutely. Any of Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche's sons are worth connecting with.
Motova

Post by Motova »

Ayang Rinpoche.
To become a rain man one must master the ten virtues and sciences.
humble.student

Post by humble.student »

There is a lineage of Tibetan Buddhism in Thailand that comes from Norlha Hutuktu, brought there by some Chinese monks back in the 30s or 40s. The writer John Blofeld, who lived in Thailand, was on close terms with the then abbot. I think this is an associated Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/thaipadmasambhava/
You'd be able to find more details if you can speak or read Thai I suppose, or get in touch with a member who knows English.
Good luck!

PS: This is not the Norlha lama of recent news, but an important lama from Kham from the 1930s. There's a book by Gray Tuttle which talks about this.
sunandmoon

Post by sunandmoon »

Crazywisdom wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:35 pm Go to Nepal
And from there? What about Sikkhim, Bhutan, Ladakh?
sunandmoon

Post by sunandmoon »

humble.student wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:06 am There is a lineage of Tibetan Buddhism in Thailand that comes from Norlha Hutuktu, brought there by some Chinese monks back in the 30s or 40s. The writer John Blofeld, who lived in Thailand, was on close terms with the then abbot. I think this is an associated Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/thaipadmasambhava/
You'd be able to find more details if you can speak or read Thai I suppose, or get in touch with a member who knows English.
Good luck!

PS: This is not the Norlha lama of recent news, but an important lama from Kham from the 1930s. There's a book by Gray Tuttle which talks about this.
Wow! That's pretty cool and unexpected. Fortunately my Thai is pretty good, so language shouldn't be much of an issue. Will definitely check it out!
sunandmoon

Post by sunandmoon »

Josef wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:07 pm Mingyur Rinpoche is highly recommended and his programs for distance learning to get started out are fantastic.
Yes, I think he's fantastic. The only thing that holds me back a little bit is the whole rock star guru thing. Not that it's gone to his head - I've had the honor of meeting him and his realization, in my opinion, is quite deep. Very powerful presence. But just afraid I won't be able to get close to the guru because of his super busy schedule.

I could see that he has a few close disciples that he really focuses on, which would take a few years likely to get into, but some of these teachers just are running all over and even for their close disciples it's hard to get close to them. Maybe a slight reluctance I have.

But nothings perfect and I'm increasingly feeling like he's the one for me for now. Still feeling it out.
Natan

Post by Natan »

sunandmoon wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:24 am
Crazywisdom wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:35 pm Go to Nepal
And from there? What about Sikkhim, Bhutan, Ladakh?
Go to pilgrimage places and you run into a wild lama.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Why do you assume that anyone would want or need a 'wild lama'?

I wasted years with a wild lama.
Thank the Buddhas for stable, strong, and compassionate Lamas like ChNN or Mingyur Rinpoche.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

Simon E. wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:48 am Why do you assume that anyone would want or need a 'wild lama'?

Thank the Buddhas for stable, strong, and compassionate Lamas like ChNN or Mingyur Rinpoche.
Maybe one living in the wild without all the fans.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

I am afraid you might have to do some research yourself, go around and ask. Most of us here are from western countries. We don't know centers there. But if there is a center of Garchen Rinpoche I can only recommend it. He is an amazing realized being.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

amanitamusc wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:18 am
Simon E. wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:48 am Why do you assume that anyone would want or need a 'wild lama'?

Can you name one? If not how does it help the OP?
Romantic notions of unknown Lamas are likely to be a cause of great disappointment and time wasted unless one's karma is ripening in that way. In which case the seeker is not likely to be hanging around this forum.

amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

Simon E. wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:55 am

Romantic notions of unknown Lamas are likely to be a cause of great disappointment and time wasted unless one's karma is ripening in that way. In which case the seeker is not likely to be hanging around this forum.
Here is one.
http://www.sacredpassagetsatsa.com/Sacr ... ut_Us.html
Natan

Post by Natan »

The journey is the goal.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

What does that even mean in real life? :lol:

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

amanitamusc wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:35 am

Here is one.
And your recommendation comes from personal first hand experience of this teacher?

amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

Simon E. wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:45 pm
amanitamusc wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:35 am

Here is one.
And your recommendation comes from personal first hand experience of this teacher?
It was not a recommendation just an observation backed by reputable western student/ teachers.
Joseph Wagner a student of said Lama was mentioned in Malcolm's latest publication.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”