Happy Oeshiki, y'all!

Post by justsomeguy »

Good will to all of you!
Queequeg
Former staff member

Re: Happy Oeshiki, y'all!

Post by Queequeg »

:anjali:
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Yavana

Post by Yavana »

May the Lord smile on you from Eagle Peak!
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

:namaste:
illarraza

Post by illarraza »

justsomeguy wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:51 am Good will to all of you!
Nichiren memorial service a day late but with deep reverence

"As I contemplate my own life, I Nichiren, have studied Buddhism since I was a child, I thought I should study the manner of the last moment of life first of all, before studying anything else."- Reply to the Lady Nun Myoho

Namu Myoho renge kyo
Namu Myoho renge kyo
Namu Myoho renge kyo

"For one who summons up one’s faith and chants Namu-myoho-renge-kyo with the profound insight that now is the last moment of one’s life, the sutra proclaims: “When the lives of these persons come to an end, they will be received into the hands of a thousand Buddhas, who will free them from all fear and keep them from falling into the evil pathsof existence.” How can we possibly hold back our tears at the inexpressible joy of knowing that not just one or two, not just one hundred or two hundred, but as many as a thousand Buddhas will come to greet us with open arms!" - Heritage of the Ultimate Law of Life and Death

Namu Myoho renge kyo
Namu Myoho renge kyo
Namu Myoho renge kyo

"Life lasts no longer than the time the exhaling of one breath awaits the drawing of another. At what time, what moment, should we ever allow ourselves to forget the compassionate vow of the Buddha, who declared, “At all times I think to myself: [How can I cause living beings togain entry into the unsurpassed way and quickly acquire the body of a Buddha]?” On what day or month should we permit ourselves to be without the sutra that says, “[If there are those who hear the Law], then not a one will fail to attain Buddhahood”?

How long can we expect to live on as we have, from yesterday totoday or from last year to this year? We may look back over our past and count the years we have accumulated, but when we look ahead into the future, who can for certain number himself among the living for another day or even for an hour? Yet, though one may know that the moment of one’s death is already at hand, one clings to arrogance and prejudice, toworldly fame and profit, and fails to devote oneself to chanting the Mystic Law. Such an attitude is futile beyond description! Even though the Lotus Sutra is called the teaching that enables all living beings toattain the Buddha way, how could a person such as this actually attain it? It is said that even the moonlight will not deign to shine on the sleeve of an unfeeling person.

Moreover, as life does not go beyond the moment, the Buddha expounded the blessings that come from a single moment of rejoicing [on hearing the Lotus Sutra]. If two or three moments were required, this could no longer be called the original vow of the Buddha endowed with great impartial wisdom, the single vehicle of the teaching that directly reveals the truth and leads all living beings to attain Buddhahood." -- Questions and Answers about Embracing the Lotus Sutra

Namu Myoho renge kyo
Namu Myoho renge kyo
Namu Myoho renge kyo

"Because passing a whole lifetime is of no extent, no matter how many strong enemies keep coming back, never have a backsliding or fearful mind! Even though one's neck they they slice with a saw, the belly they rake with a sharp tool, or they drive a rope through our feet with an awl, as long as life goes on, we chant Namu Myoho renge kyo, Namu Myoho renge kyo. And if we die, chanting as we die, then Shakya, Taho, and the Buddhas of the Ten Directions [because it was their Promise at the Assembly on the Spiritual Eagle Mountain] in the space of an instant will come flying, rushing to our side, taking our hand and catching our shoulders while the Two Saints, the Two Devas, and the Ten Rakshasa Women will protect those who receive and keep the Lotus Sutra. The various gods and good deities will hold the heavenly canopy and raise the banner guarding us. They will for certain accompany us to the Jeweled Field of Tranquil Light. Oh, how joyful; oh, how joyfull!" -- On Practicing According to the Preachings

Namu Myoho renge kyo
Namu Myoho renge kyo
Namu Myoho renge kyo

Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

illarraza wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:11 am Nichiren memorial service a day late but with deep reverence

"As I contemplate my own life, I Nichiren, have studied Buddhism since I was a child, I thought I should study the manner of the last moment of life first of all, before studying anything else."- Reply to the Lady Nun Myoho

Namu Myoho renge kyo
Namu Myoho renge kyo
Namu Myoho renge kyo

"For one who summons up one’s faith and chants Namu-myoho-renge-kyo with the profound insight that now is the last moment of one’s life, the sutra proclaims: “When the lives of these persons come to an end, they will be received into the hands of a thousand Buddhas, who will free them from all fear and keep them from falling into the evil pathsof existence.” How can we possibly hold back our tears at the inexpressible joy of knowing that not just one or two, not just one hundred or two hundred, but as many as a thousand Buddhas will come to greet us with open arms!" - Heritage of the Ultimate Law of Life and Death

Namu Myoho renge kyo
Namu Myoho renge kyo
Namu Myoho renge kyo

"Life lasts no longer than the time the exhaling of one breath awaits the drawing of another. At what time, what moment, should we ever allow ourselves to forget the compassionate vow of the Buddha, who declared, “At all times I think to myself: [How can I cause living beings togain entry into the unsurpassed way and quickly acquire the body of a Buddha]?” On what day or month should we permit ourselves to be without the sutra that says, “[If there are those who hear the Law], then not a one will fail to attain Buddhahood”?

How long can we expect to live on as we have, from yesterday totoday or from last year to this year? We may look back over our past and count the years we have accumulated, but when we look ahead into the future, who can for certain number himself among the living for another day or even for an hour? Yet, though one may know that the moment of one’s death is already at hand, one clings to arrogance and prejudice, toworldly fame and profit, and fails to devote oneself to chanting the Mystic Law. Such an attitude is futile beyond description! Even though the Lotus Sutra is called the teaching that enables all living beings toattain the Buddha way, how could a person such as this actually attain it? It is said that even the moonlight will not deign to shine on the sleeve of an unfeeling person.

Moreover, as life does not go beyond the moment, the Buddha expounded the blessings that come from a single moment of rejoicing [on hearing the Lotus Sutra]. If two or three moments were required, this could no longer be called the original vow of the Buddha endowed with great impartial wisdom, the single vehicle of the teaching that directly reveals the truth and leads all living beings to attain Buddhahood." -- Questions and Answers about Embracing the Lotus Sutra

Namu Myoho renge kyo
Namu Myoho renge kyo
Namu Myoho renge kyo

"Because passing a whole lifetime is of no extent, no matter how many strong enemies keep coming back, never have a backsliding or fearful mind! Even though one's neck they they slice with a saw, the belly they rake with a sharp tool, or they drive a rope through our feet with an awl, as long as life goes on, we chant Namu Myoho renge kyo, Namu Myoho renge kyo. And if we die, chanting as we die, then Shakya, Taho, and the Buddhas of the Ten Directions [because it was their Promise at the Assembly on the Spiritual Eagle Mountain] in the space of an instant will come flying, rushing to our side, taking our hand and catching our shoulders while the Two Saints, the Two Devas, and the Ten Rakshasa Women will protect those who receive and keep the Lotus Sutra. The various gods and good deities will hold the heavenly canopy and raise the banner guarding us. They will for certain accompany us to the Jeweled Field of Tranquil Light. Oh, how joyful; oh, how joyfull!" -- On Practicing According to the Preachings

Namu Myoho renge kyo
Namu Myoho renge kyo
Namu Myoho renge kyo

Thank you for that, Mark. Wonderful.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,

Return to “Nichiren”