Garchen Bernakchen Sadhana

Mantrik
Former staff member

Garchen Bernakchen Sadhana

Post by Mantrik »

Garchen Rinpoche gave Mahakala Bernakchen on 10th September 2016, according to my records.

Does anyone know of a source for the relevant sadhana please?

It may be “A Condensed Version of Burning Up Anger” aka “The Ritual of Mending and Supplication” or an even shorter version, but I'm not entirely sure.

A sadhana with the English translation is what I seek.......the web only seems to lead to Tibetan-only.
Last edited by Mantrik on Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
conebeckham

Re: Garchen Bernakchen Sadhana

Post by conebeckham »

I seriously doubt the "full wang" of Bernakchen was given by Garchen Rinpoche over the internet. I don't want to go down that road of discussing on-line empowerments. The complete empowerment of Bernakchen is a very rare thing, but there are torwangs, etc.

I didn't know that Garchen Rinpoche gave this, and I find that interesting. It's fairly specific to the Kamtsang. The usual commitment for any Bernakchen empowerment is daily solkha, recitatation of what we call the "Ma Dak Ma," a fairly short offering prayer.

There is also the KhamYigMa, 15th Karmapa's daily practice, which takes about an hour, the Tselma, which is a bit longer, and Dangwa Namse is huge. The longer sadhanas are annual events.

Do you have any links or other info re Garchen giving this wang?
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

conebeckham wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:43 pm I seriously doubt the "full wang" of Bernakchen was given by Garchen Rinpoche over the internet. I don't want to go down that road of discussing on-line empowerments. The complete empowerment of Bernakchen is a very rare thing, but there are torwangs, etc.

I didn't know that Garchen Rinpoche gave this, and I find that interesting. It's fairly specific to the Kamtsang. The usual commitment for any Bernakchen empowerment is daily solkha, recitatation of what we call the "Ma Dak Ma," a fairly short offering prayer.

There is also the KhamYigMa, 15th Karmapa's daily practice, which takes about an hour, the Tselma, which is a bit longer, and Dangwa Namse is huge. The longer sadhanas are annual events.

Do you have any links or other info re Garchen giving this wang?
I'll see what I have. I would imagine it would be a short text. I'm only guessing at the titles from what I have tracked down on the web.

EDIT:
From my notes it was a Karma Kagyu version. I recorded the mantra and the practice commitment.
It was a 'Yidam and Protector' empowerment.

My notes also include your replies to me at the time and the mantra didn't match the 4 armed or Bernakchen practices you knew and suggested asking GR's followers for more info. I tried and didn't get far so I'm trying again on here and on Facebook (Ina etc.) :)

Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

THis was the 2016 event. I've contacted the organsiers but any other help is welcome :)
http://www.drikung2016.de/index.php/en/ ... ember-2017

Program 18 September 2016

Mahakala Empowerment
led by H.E. Garchen Rinpoche

Drikung Kagyu Guru YogaTeachings
led by H.E. Garchen Rinpoche

Mahakala

Mahakala, the Black-coated Protector, is a manifestation of Avalokiteshvara, the Buddha of infinite, all-embracing compassion. Since not all sentient beings can be guided by gentle means and since sometimes strong, even fierce methods are needed to tame these beings, Avalokiteshvara appeared in warthful form, in the form of the “Great Black Protector”.

The activities of Mahakala intent to dissolve the mental confusion of all beings and to protect practitioners from outer, inner, and secret obstacles. These are the four Buddha activities: taming (of obstructive forces), enriching (with wisdom), attracting (supportive conditions) and distroying (harmful, impedimental powers). Mahakala fulfills all wishes that serve and support the final goal, the ultimate liberation of all sentient beings; his means and methods can be very swift, tough, and uncompromising.

namoh

Post by namoh »

Hmm, something’s maybe fishy here. I suppose there are many ways of understanding but I was always taught that Dorje Bernagchen was not an manifestation of Avalokiteshvara. Is it possible that Garchen Rinpoche was giving a different empowerment and some well meaning disciple just put some accidental misinformation online?
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

namoh wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:28 am Hmm, something’s maybe fishy here. I suppose there are many ways of understanding but I was always taught that Dorje Bernagchen was not an manifestation of Avalokiteshvara. Is it possible that Garchen Rinpoche was giving a different empowerment and some well meaning disciple just put some accidental misinformation online?
The one I participated in was definitely Bernakchen, but they could have just copied and pasted blurb from another site, for sure. I recall it as 10th, they have 18th, the website address has a different year etc etc. lol :)

Jangchup Donden

Post by Jangchup Donden »

namoh wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:28 am Hmm, something’s maybe fishy here. I suppose there are many ways of understanding but I was always taught that Dorje Bernagchen was not an manifestation of Avalokiteshvara. Is it possible that Garchen Rinpoche was giving a different empowerment and some well meaning disciple just put some accidental misinformation online?
To the contrary I've always heard that Mahakala was an emanation of Avalokiteshvara. I thought this was pretty standard in the Kagyu schools.

http://www.khandro.net/deity_mahakala.htm

Although according to that not all Mahakalas are emanations of Chenrezig.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Jangchup Donden wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:55 pm
To the contrary I've always heard that Mahakala was an emanation of Avalokiteshvara. I thought this was pretty standard in the Kagyu schools.

http://www.khandro.net/deity_mahakala.htm

Although according to that not all Mahakalas are emanations of Chenrezig.
Six Armed Mahakala is understood as an emanation of Chenrezig. Four armed Mahakala is understood as Cakrasamvara. Bernakchen is sometimes said to be Vajrapani.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")

Return to “Kagyu”