Rime subforum in Tibetan Buddhism

Offer your suggestions about how we can improve this forum to better serve our members, and tell us here about any technical problems.
Dharmasherab

Rime subforum in Tibetan Buddhism

Post by Dharmasherab »

Would be nice if we can have a subforum called 'Rime' under Tibetan Buddhism.
“When one does not understand death, life can be very confusing.” - Ajahn Chah
practitioner

Re: Rime subforum in Tibetan Buddhism

Post by practitioner »

In my experience Rime is more of an attitude than anything else so I’m not sure it really needs it own forum. Time practitioners still follow one of the moon lineages, just with an open heart to the others. I say this as someone who come up in Kalu Rinpoche’s lineage.
One should do nothing other than benefit sentient beings either directly or indirectly - Shantideva
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Technically speaking it has the general tibetan buddhism section, soo...
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
oldbob

Post by oldbob »

Miroku wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:59 pm Technically speaking it has the general tibetan buddhism section, soo...
Perhaps Dzogchen is the same as Rime, because not having any capacity of description makes it beyond any partiality what-so-ever. One taste means one taste, but Dzogchen never claims even this, as it doesn't have the capacity to claim anything, even this: like writing on air or water, and perhaps this is the indescribable one taste of ultimate rimed.

However, since some great Lamas claim to be Rime (I believe Ringo Tulku for example) maybe it would be good to have a place to present / differentiate their views and philosophies.

:heart:
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

My personal feeling is that "Rime" is not an institution, nor is it really a separate lineage of practice, so it should be covered under the general TB forum.

As a movement, in the 19th Century, it arose due to very specific sectarian issues. In particular, it was largely started and encouraged by Sakya and Kagyu masters to incorporate Dzogchen and terma traditions amongst their respective institutions. Any dharma tradition or practice that would be embraced as "Rime" would therefore be found in existing subforums.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
oldbob

Post by oldbob »

conebeckham wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:01 pm My personal feeling is that "Rime" is not an institution, nor is it really a separate lineage of practice, so it should be covered under the general TB forum.

As a movement, in the 19th Century, it arose due to very specific sectarian issues. In particular, it was largely started and encouraged by Sakya and Kagyu masters to incorporate Dzogchen and terma traditions amongst their respective institutions. Any dharma tradition or practice that would be embraced as "Rime" would therefore be found in existing subforums.
:good: Good postings all.

Here is the whole historical picture.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rim%C3%A9_movement

There are many stories that when ChNNR went to Tibetan conferences that all the 5 sects would ask him to sit with them.

There was a question of becoming "Mr. No Name" if you did not take a name.

If someone were to ask me what sect I belong to, I am happy to say Rime. I have taken teachings from all 5 sects so I don't identify with this one or that one, but respect the teachings and Masters from all sects and other religions too.

On reflection, I agree with conebeckham and do not see a need to have any particular Rime division on DW. An un-named division is actually more accurate and perhaps interesting / intriguing for Rime. A search for Rime, and RImed is possible.

Best, ob
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

No Rime nor Reason for it. ;)
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

A Rime subforum could be justified on an historic basis (so basically as a place to discuss the historic activity of Jamyang Khyentse Wango, Kongtrul and Chokgyur Lingpa and their immediate or so disciples).

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
oldbob

Post by oldbob »

kirtu wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:55 pm A Rime subforum could be justified on an historic basis (so basically as a place to discuss the historic activity of Jamyang Khyentse Wango, Kongtrul and Chokgyur Lingpa and their immediate or so disciples).

Kirt
:good:

Also true and helpful.

Bob
kalden yungdrung

Post by kalden yungdrung »

Tashi delek,

Good idea, to open a Rime subforum here.
It means also there is / was, sectarianism inside the Tibetan Spiritual Traditions.

Interesting to know what kind of sectarianism the Rime movement mentions and who was pro and who contra the Rime movement inside Tibet.

Guess Rime was one of the last innovations inside Tibet, before the great exodus.
The best meditation is no meditation

Return to “Suggestion Box”