Nyung Ney

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
kirtu
Former staff member

Nyung Ney

Post by kirtu »

Nyung Ney : Abiding in the Fast : A two day fasting and prostration practice from kriyayoga tantra

“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Re: Nyung Ney

Post by kirtu »

Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Jangchup Donden

Post by Jangchup Donden »

I'd add Rest for the Fortunate - a great read for anyone interested in doing Nyungnes.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

I mentioned practicing Nyung Ney to Loppon Ogyan Tanzin Rinpoche and he said it was unecessary and not beneficial for ngakpa, since they would be depriving the deity of offerings when doing the practice.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Grigoris wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:52 pm I mentioned practicing Nyung Ney to Loppon Ogyan Tanzin Rinpoche and he said it was unecessary and not beneficial for ngakpa, since they would be depriving the deity of offerings when doing the practice.
Well it's an ascetic purification practice. So if he were referring to oneself as deity then sure. My Nyingma (Palyul) lamas offer a Nyung Ney retreat every year and some of those participants are ngakpas so this is certainly a different POV.

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Jangchup Donden wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:34 pm I'd add Rest for the Fortunate - a great read for anyone interested in doing Nyungnes.
"Rest for the Fortunate" is truly excellent!

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
zerwe

Post by zerwe »

LYWA also offer LZR's "Abiding in the Retreat" which is a compilation of teachings
serving as a commentary for the practice. FPMT also offer a manual/guidebook for performing
this ritual as well.

Shaun :namaste:
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

kirtu wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:10 pmSo if he were referring to oneself as deity then sure.
Who else would be the deity apart from all of us? :smile:
My Nyingma (Palyul) lamas offer a Nyung Ney retreat every year and some of those participants are ngakpas so this is certainly a different POV.
I was surprised by the comment too.

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Grigoris wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:05 am
kirtu wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:10 pmSo if he were referring to oneself as deity then sure.
Most people do not abide in that view off the mat.
Everyone needs purification (relatively) and many people are interested in this practice.

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

kirtu wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:00 pm
Grigoris wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:05 am
Most people do not abide in that view off the mat.
Everyone needs purification (relatively) and many people are interested in this practice.

Kirt
Indeed!

I am just offering an alternative view regarding the practice.

Aspiring.Monk

Post by Aspiring.Monk »

Is this practice something that needs empowerment before performing?
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Aspiring.Monk wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:44 am Is this practice something that needs empowerment before performing?
Ideally, yes.

With regard to the discussion---although it's common to explain Nyung Nes as a "kriya"" practice, it can be approached from a variety of views....I will not elaborate, but I will recommend Nyung Nes. This is a powerful method to accumulate merit, and a chance to develop bodhicitta--both relative and absolute.

I would also just comment re "chudlen" practice.......does that also "deprive the deity?"
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Aspiring.Monk wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:44 am Is this practice something that needs empowerment before performing?
I was under the impression (well, have been told this in Sakya) that 1000 Arm Chenrezig is empowerment needed for Nung Ne.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:06 am
I was under the impression (well, have been told this in Sakya) that 1000 Arm Chenrezig is empowerment needed for Nung Ne.
Sakya is very particular about these matters. Gelug and Nyingma basically less so. Lama Zopa has said that one just needs a Chenrezig empowerment and not specifically the 1000 Arm Chenrezig empowerment. Nyingma (at least Palyul) just says any HYT empowerment.

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
bryandavis

Post by bryandavis »

Last year I spoke with a shangpa lama im California who said "without doing a few nyungnye retreats then not much benefit of practicing higher teachings."

Also curious if others here encountrred any practice in the Tibetan tradition that is really pure kriyatantra? I have personally never come across a practice of kriya that wasn't at least explained away with the view of higher yogas.
heart

Post by heart »

bryandavis wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:00 pm Last year I spoke with a shangpa lama im California who said "without doing a few nyungnye retreats then not much benefit of practicing higher teachings."

Also curious if others here encountrred any practice in the Tibetan tradition that is really pure kriyatantra? I have personally never come across a practice of kriya that wasn't at least explained away with the view of higher yogas.
Nyungnye is pure kriya, just like many popular Tara practices. It emphasis cleanliness and keeping the sodjong vows.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

One of my first Teachers (Nyingma) also said something similar to Loppon Orgyen Tenzin, although Their rationale was not "depriving the Deities." This was in the very early 70s and some other Lama was offering Nyung Nay (maybe Tarthang Tulku) for the first time in the U.S. (at least that my Dharma brothers and sisters had heard of). It sounded wonderful. So we went to our Teacher and asked if we could also do it. They said it was a Kriyayoga practice and asked, "Why would you want to do a lower practice when you're already practicing Mahayoga?" The implication was that Mahayoga was more effective, quicker, more powerful. So why waste your precious time on a practice that was less effective?

Please be clear. I am not saying this Teacher's opinion is correct or that I subscribe to this opinion. I'm just mentioning it to provide a little more breadth to this thread. While this opinion is not so commonly heard, it is also not unheard of either. "Every valley has its Lama. Every Lama has his dharma."
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Harimoo

Post by Harimoo »

One of my teacher linked nyung ney with higher tantras :
by fasting you become the deity who don't need to eat

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”