Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

heart

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by heart »

Sennin wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:30 pm Is the Simhamukha mantra in the tun coming from Ayu Khandro or Jigme Lingpa or...?
I have received the lung of Ayu Khandros terma but wasn't entirely sure if this is where the mantra in the tun originates.
Both Ayu Khandro's Simhamukha terma and Jigme LIngpa's Simhamukha terma has been translated by John Reynolds. The mantra is the same and it also appear in many (all?) other Simhamukha practices. John Reynolds has also translated a text by Jamyang Khyentse Wangpo called "The secret book of Simhamukha".

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Kris

Post by Kris »

heart wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:35 pm
Sennin wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:30 pm Is the Simhamukha mantra in the tun coming from Ayu Khandro or Jigme Lingpa or...?
I have received the lung of Ayu Khandros terma but wasn't entirely sure if this is where the mantra in the tun originates.
Both Ayu Khandro's Simhamukha terma and Jigme LIngpa's Simhamukha terma has been translated by John Reynolds. The mantra is the same and it also appear in many (all?) other Simhamukha practices. John Reynolds has also translated a text by Jamyang Khyentse Wangpo called "The secret book of Simhamukha".

/magnus
Thanks.
The crux of my query was to see which vidyadhara the mantra was coming from when ChNNR formulated the tun. But since the mantra is the same in essence I guess it doesn't really matter . :D
The profound path of the master.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
heart

Post by heart »

Sennin wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:50 pm

/magnus
Thanks.
The crux of my query was to see which vidyadhara the mantra was coming from when ChNNR formulated the tun. But since the mantra is the same in essence I guess it doesn't really matter . :D
I think he mainly gave Ayu Khandro's Simhamukha.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Kris

Post by Kris »

heart wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:11 pm

I think he mainly gave Ayu Khandro's Simhamukha.

/magnus
:thanks:
The profound path of the master.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Tata1

Post by Tata1 »

Tata1 wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:49 pm Does anyone have an audio of thr short ganapuja by jigme lingpa?

I.have the medium ganaluja audionfiles but it doesnt have his section
Anyone? :anjali:
lelopa

Post by lelopa »

/magnus
the mantras are different
the universal dakini-mantra ( a ka sa...... phat) is the same
the special terma-mantras are slightly different
Lost In Transmission
Hansei

Post by Hansei »

Some people relate provocations to almost everything (including nervousness), while other people relate them only to serious illnesses. I'm feeling quite confused about it and would like to know more.

Where can I learn more about provocations?
heart

Post by heart »

lelopa wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:18 am

/magnus
the mantras are different
the universal dakini-mantra ( a ka sa...... phat) is the same
the special terma-mantras are slightly different
There is an other mantra that is slightly different, but since this was a question about ChNNR transmission I omitted that detail.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Hansei wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:22 am Some people relate provocations to almost everything (including nervousness), while other people relate them only to serious illnesses. I'm feeling quite confused about it and would like to know more.

The Guru Tragphur booklet has around 10 pages on Gyalpo provocations if that is what you are seeking.
How people are affected varies greatly depending on their actions, state of mind etc. The Tragphur practice itself protects against being affected.
The 8 classes of spirits such as Nagas can all cause provocation and illness, and there is more on that in The Garuda Practice.
The spectrum of illnesss caused by provocations may run from nervousness to cancer.
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
Hansei

Post by Hansei »

Mantrik wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:52 am
Hansei wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:22 am Some people relate provocations to almost everything (including nervousness), while other people relate them only to serious illnesses. I'm feeling quite confused about it and would like to know more.

The Guru Tragphur booklet has around 10 pages on Gyalpo provocations if that is what you are seeking.
How people are affected varies greatly depending on their actions, state of mind etc. The Tragphur practice itself protects against being affected.
The 8 classes of spirits such as Nagas can all cause provocation and illness, and there is more on that in The Garuda Practice.
The spectrum of illnesss caused by provocations may run from nervousness to cancer.
Thanks Mantrik. I'll check those books.
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

Hansei wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:20 pm

I remember the source of the eight classifications of beings we use comes from a mingyur dorje's work. I really don't know where to find it haha buy if you search for it and cassually you find it, let me know.<3
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Hansei

Post by Hansei »

javier.espinoza.t wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:49 pm
Hansei wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:20 pm

I remember the source of the eight classifications of beings we use comes from a mingyur dorje's work. I really don't know where to find it haha buy if you search for it and cassually you find it, let me know.<3
Thanks Javier. If I find something I'll let you know.
Rinchen Dorje

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

Does anyone know who out of Rinpoches top students is the most knowledgeable about his Longde teaching/practice?
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
Dorje Shedrub

Post by Dorje Shedrub »

What is Jim Valby doing these days? I never hear about him and someone told me he is no longer an SMS instructor.

DS
Homage to the Precious Dzogchen Master
🙏🌺🙏 Chögyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
🙏🌺🙏
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

Dorje Shedrub wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:15 am What is Jim Valby doing these days? I never hear about him and someone told me he is no longer an SMS instructor.

DS
As far as I know he focuses on translating texts.
treehuggingoctopus

Post by treehuggingoctopus »

Dorje Shedrub wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:15 am What is Jim Valby doing these days? I never hear about him and someone told me he is no longer an SMS instructor.
He still is an SMS instructor. He has not led any retreats since 2016, I think, and indeed is said to be focusing on translating these days. He might have actually retired as far as retreats go but he might be also having something of a break. But his retirement would not mean him not being an instructor any more -- there is much more to the job than giving retreats.
Générosité de l’invisible.
Notre gratitude est infinie.
Le critère est l’hospitalité.

Edmond Jabès
Kelwin

Post by Kelwin »

For someone like me, who met ChNN Rinpoche and received pointing out several times, but has not received all transmissions nor participated in the SMS program.. where does the DC go from here on? Is the SMS still available as a path? Could I ever progress to practicing Togal and/or Yangti for example?

Needless to say, I'm very grateful for the connection I have, and just keeping that connection through A and regular Tuns should be more than enough.

Thank you
'I will not take your feelings seriously, and neither will you' -Lama Lena
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

Kelwin wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:43 pm For someone like me, who met ChNN Rinpoche and received pointing out several times, but has not received all transmissions nor participated in the SMS program.. where does the DC go from here on? Is the SMS still available as a path? Could I ever progress to practicing Togal and/or Yangti for example?

Needless to say, I'm very grateful for the connection I have, and just keeping that connection through A and regular Tuns should be more than enough.

Thank you
From the point of view of the Dzogchen Community, I do not believe anybody managed to get to the final level of the SMS training, thus there are no instructors for it. As for Thogal/Yangti, it would depend on if there are anybody who were authorized by ChNN to teach and to give these practices in the DC. I have no idea about this. As it stands now, I think it would be impossible to progress to that, since ChNN is not around to give it. But of course you can receive it from another teacher if that is what you want.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Kelwin wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:43 pm For someone like me, who met ChNN Rinpoche and received pointing out several times, but has not received all transmissions nor participated in the SMS program.. where does the DC go from here on? Is the SMS still available as a path? Could I ever progress to practicing Togal and/or Yangti for example?

Thank you
I would not worry about it much, tbh. At least not for now. We will see in 1 year (just 10 months to be precise). You can always receive instructions from some other masters and I do believe there are other masters who are qualified to teach dzogchen that have received Longsal Teachings. So be patient, wait and work on the SMS base. By itself it is a perfect curriculum.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

Thank you
Togal and/or Yangti aren't necessary really, are they?
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.

Return to “Dzogchen”