Tradition in the West

Sönam

Tradition in the West

Post by Sönam »

"Tibetan Buddhism" in the west has the particularity to condition the practitioner to integrate first a part of the Tibetan/Bön culture before he could start to realize what is that all about. This is simply because Tibetan Buddhism is an application of the Buddhadharma adapted to Tibet/Bön, not to westerners.
In that particular matter, Dzogchen tradition is much more adapted to the west when it is not so much wraped into classical tantrism traditions.

Sönam
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
mindyourmind

Re: Tradition in the West

Post by mindyourmind »

We must be careful not to confuse culture and cultural accretions with tradition. The two are not always the same.

But in general I suppose I agree with you. A balancing act is called for : enough tradition but not too much of the unnecessary baggage. Therein lies the challenge.
Dualism is the real root of our suffering and all of our conflicts.

Namkhai Norbu
zengammon

Post by zengammon »

To me, Buddhism is not about Culture, though Culture tries endlessly to make it be. I think Ponlop Rinpoche hit the nail on the head:
"..my various experiences have led me to see the almost blinding influence of culture in our lives and thus the importance of seeing beyond culture altogether." (Rebel Buddha)

I agree. In the asian country I live and practice in, if I was going to point to the problems that currently exist in Buddhism here, I would point directly to Cultural influence--of the native culture--and this country has a long 'tradition'.

"seeing beyond culture altogether" right on.

john
(not a tibetan practitioner)
kalden yungdrung

Post by kalden yungdrung »

Sönam wrote:"Tibetan Buddhism" in the west has the particularity to condition the practitioner to integrate first a part of the Tibetan/Bön culture before he could start to realize what is that all about. This is simply because Tibetan Buddhism is an application of the Buddhadharma adapted to Tibet/Bön, not to westerners.
In that particular matter, Dzogchen tradition is much more adapted to the west when it is not so much wraped into classical tantrism traditions.

Sönam

Tashi delek,

Yes, i agree Dzogchen can be practiced without a Tantrical background or without Tantra.
Dzogchen is not per se based on Tantra, like i did study.

Further if we practice Dzogchen one is automaticly involved in the vision of the lineage.
If the lineage would be contra something then the students, westerners or not share that specific mentality.

I go even so far with some Tibetan lineage mentalities, that i cannot take that all serious because to the lamas were since 100 of years told a certain " truth " .
And so they all act in some way according the mentality of their tradition.

There are only few who dare to have an own vision about that all, some are now the so called rebels but will later become the heroes......

Best wishes
KY
Last edited by kalden yungdrung on Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The best meditation is no meditation
Sönam

Post by Sönam »

That "westerner-adapted-form" should come first from our Tibetan masters, because they detain the lineage of "teachings and realizations", and this what has to be transmited at first, not the specific Tibetain or Westerner coloration.
finally westerners will participate to that adaptation in creating statistics in favor of one or another unlightened author from the past ... at first it is the role of Translators to adapt the dharma, they play a major role in that process ... the first generation of Tibetan kids educated in both languages should strongly help in that process, but how many are ready for ?

Sönam
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
Sönam

Post by Sönam »

kalden yungdrung wrote: ...
Further if we practice Dzogchen one is automaticly involved in the vision of the lineage.
If the lineage would be contra something then the students, westerners or not share that specific mentality.
lineage's habits ... but "The Brave" do not fall in that trap !
I go even so far with some Tibetan lineage mentalities, that i cannot take that all serious because the lamas were since 100 of years told a certain " truth " .
And so they all act in some way according the mentality of their tradition.
thinks are changing, westerners start to be "educated" ... on a Tibetan Point of View.

Sönam
- Longchen Rabjam -
heart

Post by heart »

Sönam wrote:
You should join the buddhabrats, its anonymous leader seem very inclined in your direction.
I ignored Sascha’s doubts about the validity of what I was doing. He was rather hung up on the lineage thing, needing an official stamp of approval from the orthodoxy in order to spread the Teachings. Either way I was going to do it and nothing could have brought me more pleasure. Hacking and demolishing the residual patterning from people’s heads accompanied with liberal doses of Dzogchen, I proceeded to cut a swathe through a sea of sentient ignorance. I was totally in my element - this was truly what I had been designed for.
http://www.buddhabrats.com/3-free-chapt ... holy-land/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Rinchen Dorje

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

If we look to the history of Buddhism we will find that the adaptation from one culture to another seems to be a natural organic process. This is one of Buddhisms natural strengths over other religions...it adapts easily to other cultures. This, I believe, is due to its universal and humanistic message. Look for example at the foundational Four Noble Truths and the Noble Eightfold Path. All beings suffer, all is due to grasping/attachment etc etc. This has to do with the human condition, not culture. Same goes when we go a little higher to the teachings of Shunyata/Emptiness...once again has more to do with Reality than culture. And so it goes right up to and through Vajrayana...the transformation of whatever arises into its Wisdom aspect. In every culture that Buddhism went to, regardless of the culture, it adapted and grew, and it will in the west as well. No worries.
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Vis a vis this thread, some might want to consider the following interview with Dungse Thinley Norbu:

http://www.tricycle.com/special-section ... u-rinpoche" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In this interview, He is very critical of those who seek to "Westernize" Tibetan Buddhism. Whether you agree with His POV or not, I found it very thought-provoking (hopefully in a good way).
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
heart

Post by heart »

pemachophel wrote:Vis a vis this thread, some might want to consider the following interview with Dungse Thinley Norbu:

http://www.tricycle.com/special-section ... u-rinpoche" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In this interview, He is very critical of those who seek to "Westernize" Tibetan Buddhism. Whether you agree with His POV or not, I found it very thought-provoking (hopefully in a good way).
Refreshing is the word that comes to mind.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Sönam

Post by Sönam »

Sönam wrote:
To be clear, "Brave" is not for westerners, but for lineage masters who do not fall in that trap (lineage habits)

Sönam
- Longchen Rabjam -
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

pemachophel wrote:Vis a vis this thread, some might want to consider the following interview with Dungse Thinley Norbu:

Of course to be fair HH Thinley Norbu upsets everyone's apple carts.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

..and thank goodness for that, eh?

Buddha upset more than a few apple carts himself.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Sönam wrote:"Tibetan Buddhism" in the west has the particularity to condition the practitioner to integrate first a part of the Tibetan/Bön culture before he could start to realize what is that all about.
Tibetan Buddhism is alleged by Tibetans to be the preservation of the Sravakayana, Mahayana and Vajrayana as presented in India around the 6th century AD (really 6th-12th centuries). So it is really a flavor of pan-Indian Buddhism clearly with Tibetan influences.

Bön is probably more directly Tibetan but it too has necessarily undergone changes over time.
This is simply because Tibetan Buddhism is an application of the Buddhadharma adapted to Tibet/Bön, not to westerners.
Well all Buddhism is necessarily rooted in India at some point. This is less clear in Chinese and Japanese Buddhism and maybe other Buddhisms.

At the end of the day, Indian tantric Buddhism and without question Mahayana and Sravakayana are well suited for the West. It's just not apparent yet. But just like the Tibetans to Atisha - everyone has a mind (everyone dreams). We can begin on this basis.

It would just be helpful if the Asian and esp. Himalayan teachers were more direct in general. I was told by a senior student that Tibetan teachers thought they were testing Westerners a la Padmasambhava and the first seven monks and the first 25 disciples. Well, we weren't there yet. Maybe now.

Kirt
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

conebeckham wrote:..and thank goodness for that, eh?

Buddha upset more than a few apple carts himself.
:woohoo: :bow: :cheers:

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
heart

Post by heart »

Sönam wrote:
Sönam wrote:
To be clear, "Brave" is not for westerners, but for lineage masters who do not fall in that trap (lineage habits)

Sönam
If you are a "lineage master" you are the lineage, your own bad if you don't get this.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

Rinchen Dorje

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

To be clear...I am not talking about "westernizing" TB or any sect of Buddhism for that matter. Sadly in his interview HH Thinley Norbu was correct in saying that there are western teachers who are nihilistic in their approach. However I really dont see a problem with doing various liturgies/sadhanas in English. Excluding of course certain mantras etc that due to their vibrational quality need to be done in their original form. Unless one really wants to learn Tibetan (or Chinese or Japanese for that matter) it is pointless to have a person chant a liturgy/sadhana in a language that they have no idea what it is they are chanting. I mean seriously, whats the point?
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Sönam wrote:classical tantrism traditions.
But I like classical tantra traditions...
heart

Post by heart »

Namdrol wrote:
Sönam wrote:classical tantrism traditions.
But I like classical tantra traditions...
:smile:

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

muni

Post by muni »

Agree completely! Or maybe dharmata will be improved by arrogantly knowing. Nothing new to obtain by new fabrications other than minds' delusions. Our nature/ Dzogchen is free from characteristics.

Lets our nature adapt a bit to fit ego. Western nature, Eastern nature........

Return to “Dzogchen”