MELONG GIFT

A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

MELONG GIFT

Post by A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha »

Is it kosher to give a Melong (NEW) as a gift (to wear for protection) to somebody (my son)...whom is not a Dzogchen practitioner (yet) ?
It's NOT kosher to buy one for yourself... (right ?)

I sent for one....it's coming from Italy !!!!

Thank you

:heart:
Mantrik
Former staff member

Re: MELONG GIFT

Post by Mantrik »

The melong has a spectrum of use from the symbolic to the shamanic.
I think it is fine to buy a melong for someone for any of those uses, as long as you know how to perform that function.
For protection, you may wish to have it blessed . If it is a larger DC one then of course it has the mantra on the inside, but as far as I know ChNN did not bless them.
You may consider blessing it yourself in the same way one blesses a phurba or other ritual implement, even through use on the shrine.
There are other methods, inviting the deity or dharmapala to enter the melong etc. and several others along the more shamanic end of the spectrum.
A used melong is a different matter if from an unknown source.
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

Melong for protection?
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
schubertian

Post by schubertian »

Why would it be not-kosher to buy one for oneself?
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

schubertian wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:03 pm Why would it be not-kosher to buy one for oneself?
I don't know...i read it somewhere....maybe it's more auspicious if it is given to you...
schubertian

Post by schubertian »

Well, for me, it is pretty unelaborate, really - it is a token of my devotion to my root guru ChNN, a reminder to remain in relaxed and undistracted presence during the day, and a symbol of the buddha's teaching to regard all things as being like reflections or illusions.

So there you go - it is a complete path to enlightenment - lol.
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

schubertian wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:41 pm Well, for me, it is pretty unelaborate, really - it is a token of my devotion to my root guru ChNN, a reminder to remain in relaxed and undistracted presence during the day, and a symbol of the buddha's teaching to regard all things as being like reflections or illusions.

So there you go - it is a complete path to enlightenment - lol.

Yes...and they are sold to be bought by anyone....i wonder if ChNN ever bought one for himself....anyways....i originally wanted to buy the one i bought.. for myself....then i read that snippet someplace that you don't buy for yourself.... :shrug: (maybe it was a magical illusion i read ????)

My son has always been interested in Buddhism and this kind of thing (deep truth)....he also likes simple jewelry & symbolic stuff & is open to this kind of spiritual path.....i thought of giving to him....i can always get another one later......???

:bow: :bow: :bow:
schubertian

Post by schubertian »

a lovely thought and a wonderful gift
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

Mantrik wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:31 am The melong has a spectrum of use from the symbolic to the shamanic.
I think it is fine to buy a melong for someone for any of those uses, as long as you know how to perform that function.
For protection, you may wish to have it blessed . If it is a larger DC one then of course it has the mantra on the inside, but as far as I know ChNN did not bless them.
You may consider blessing it yourself in the same way one blesses a phurba or other ritual implement, even through use on the shrine.
There are other methods, inviting the deity or dharmapala to enter the melong etc. and several others along the more shamanic end of the spectrum.
A used melong is a different matter if from an unknown source.
YES...i would be leary of wearing a used one...unless given by my teacher....i myself have never had a melong...thank you for all your insight & advice Mantrik :heart:
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

javier.espinoza.t wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:24 pm Melong for protection?
No ? :shrug:
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

Kunga Lhadzom wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:18 am
javier.espinoza.t wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:24 pm Melong for protection?
No ? :shrug:
:shrug:

I mean, it symbolizes a wisdom that implies no need for protection, etc. :P
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Yeah I think buying some tibetan amulet for protection would be maybe better. :) But dunno.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Miroku wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:11 am Yeah I think buying some tibetan amulet for protection would be maybe better. :) But dunno.
The melong is often used as a thogchag, an amulet.
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

Well...my son loves it...he felt blessed immediately as it was put on him....it is so beautiful !!! I was surprised it was silver in color...i thought it would be gold....my son prefers silver...and i bought him a sterling silver chain, that i thought would be too short....but it was PERFECT (at heart level).....

Thank you :heart: whomever packaged & made this !

:bow: :bow: :bow:
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

That’s awesome Lhadzom! Glad to hear it all worked out for you. :)
Pema Rigdzin/Brian Pittman

Return to “Dzogchen”