Why Should We Love?

If you're new to the forum or new to Buddhism, this is the best place for your questions. Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.
Tenma

Why Should We Love?

Post by Tenma » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:13 am

Why should we love all sentient beings? Please answer without using reasons like "bad karma," retribution in the lower realms, and so on. Thank you. :anjali:

Grigoris
Site Admin

Re: Why Should We Love?

Post by Grigoris » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:26 am

Tenma wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:13 am
Why should we love all sentient beings? Please answer without using reasons like "bad karma," retribution in the lower realms, and so on. Thank you. :anjali:
Why shouldn't we love them?
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:52 am

Tenma wrote:
Because the way we treat others affects us in exactly the same way it affects them. If we hate, we will be hated; if we offer kindness, we will receive kindness; if we love, we will be loved (not always or immediately, of course, but it's generally true).
We can give reasons for that in terms of kamma, but you don't want that so I will put it in terms of "self" (it's just a different view of the same processes, really).
The self is a useful fiction. It exists, but its boundaries are not as fixed as we like to think they are, and there's a bit of our self in everyone we meet - and a bit of them in us. There's a bit of our self in every sentient creature, and a bit of each of them in each of us. How should we treat our other selves, then? With love and respect, I reckon.

Finally, this word "should" ... it doesn't make much sense in Buddhism, because there's no God telling us what we "should" do. Our teachers may tell us that it's skillful or wise to do something or refrain from something, but that's as far as "should" goes. Do what you like - but thinking about the effects and accepting responsibility for what you're doing may help you to choose good things to do.

:namaste:
Kim

Miroku
Global Moderator

Post by Miroku » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:58 am

Out of all the choices that we have love is the most sensible one. Also it is enjoyable and fun.
A boat delivers you to the other riverbank.
A needle stitches up your clothes.
A horse takes you where you want to go.
Bodhicitta will bring you to Buddhahood.
~ Khunu Lama Rinpoche

Even non-buddhists have many virtuous accomplishments
~ Jigten Sumgon

Bristollad

Post by Bristollad » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:23 pm

Kim O'Hara wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:52 am
Finally, this word "should" ... it doesn't make much sense in Buddhism, because there's no God telling us what we "should" do. Our teachers may tell us that it's skillful or wise to do something or refrain from something, but that's as far as "should" goes. Do what you like - but thinking about the effects and accepting responsibility for what you're doing may help you to choose good things to do.
+1 :good:

yagmort

Post by yagmort » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:10 pm

i would humbly offer you an explanation, but it is not exactly buddhist.

love is all there is. everything is interconnected. we may perceive things as being separate, but this is an illusion. the reality is that we all part of a unity and love is what connects us and everything. so love is not just merely an emotion of affection or closeness. it is something much, much bigger and if we "should" do anything about love - that would be we should first understand what love actually is and then we should learn how to love. if someone doesn't accept love and yet pursue a path to enlightenment that path would be a path of negativity, a path of dark side speaking star wars-like.

seeker242

Post by seeker242 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:16 pm

Because it alleviates suffering of yourself and others. :bow:
One should not kill any living being, nor cause it to be killed, nor should one incite any other to kill. Do never injure any being, whether strong or weak, in this entire universe!

javier.espinoza.t

Post by javier.espinoza.t » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:33 am

Tenma wrote:
According to mahayana philosophy, because we replace mundane habits whith this new habit. So i heard from DKR.

and because it is fun and awesome!

Grigoris
Site Admin

Post by Grigoris » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:02 pm

I do believe the question has been well answered, so before the OP starts asking even more vaguely related questions...
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Return to “Discovering Mahayana Buddhism”