is a home made statue acceptable?

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice etc.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Re: is a home made statue acceptable?

Post by Grigoris »

Ayu wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 12:15 pmI fail to understand the intention of this teaching that forbids making statues.
So that professional statue makers do not go out of business? :tongue:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Alex1976

Post by Alex1976 »

Alex1976 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:46 pm The question is about kwan yin, so I believe it is rather about Chinese or Vietnamese tradition than Tibetan. The proportions aren't so important in these traditions.
Actually, as I've heard in China and Viet there is a kinda ritual similar with Tibetan "rabne" (invitation of God inside the statue). The ritual runs, after that the God comes inside, and statues is getting sealed by varnish. From this only moment the statue is considered as a sacred object.

It would be great to read more about classification of the deities of Far Eastern tradition, similar with Terentiev's "Identification Guide". Let me know if there is any.
Sentient Light

Post by Sentient Light »

Alex1976 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:20 pm
Alex1976 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:46 pm The question is about kwan yin, so I believe it is rather about Chinese or Vietnamese tradition than Tibetan. The proportions aren't so important in these traditions.
Actually, as I've heard in China and Viet there is a kinda ritual similar with Tibetan "rabne" (invitation of God inside the statue). The ritual runs, after that the God comes inside, and statues is getting sealed by varnish. From this only moment the statue is considered as a sacred object.

It would be great to read more about classification of the deities of Far Eastern tradition, similar with Terentiev's "Identification Guide". Let me know if there is any.
I can confirm we do this in the Vietnamese tradition. The statuaries literally represent the Dharmakaya, the awakening of the Buddhas, and has his perfections transferred in. I wouldn't bother to make my own statue without knowing how to perform this ritual.
:buddha1: Nam mô A di đà Phật :buddha1:
:bow: Nam mô Quan Thế Âm Bồ tát :bow:
:bow: Nam mô Đại Thế Chi Bồ Tát :bow:

:buddha1: Nam mô Bổn sư Thích ca mâu ni Phật :buddha1:
:bow: Nam mô Di lặc Bồ tát :bow:
:bow: Nam mô Địa tạng vương Bồ tát :bow:
passel

Post by passel »

"It is very demeritorious to make images of the Buddha, etc., that do not correspond to the proper proportions."

Bullshit.
"I have made a heap of all that I have met"- Svetonious
passel

Post by passel »

Look a whole grotto of Kuan yins, maybe some Jizos to boot:

passel

Post by passel »

Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Alex1976 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:46 pm
Malcolm wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 5:10 pm It is very demeritorious to make images of the Buddha, etc., that do not correspond to the proper proportions.
The question is about kwan yin, so I believe it is rather about Chinese or Vietnamese tradition than Tibetan. The proportions aren't so important in these traditions.
I think, he just wanted to make his point VERY clear to me as a person who fails to understand his points often.

I heard about these proportion rules in Tibetan buddhism, but I never heard that it is demetrious to make a statue for your own home and not for selling.
My Tibetan teacher did not tell so.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Grigoris wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:39 pm
Ayu wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 12:15 pmI fail to understand the intention of this teaching that forbids making statues.
So that professional statue makers do not go out of business? :tongue:
This is a valid objection. ;)
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

liuzg150181 wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 8:42 am The sutra I had in mind mentioned the protocols as to how to make buddha statues.
T21n1419
Alex1976 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:20 pm Actually, as I've heard in China and Viet there is a kinda ritual similar with Tibetan "rabne" (invitation of God inside the statue). The ritual runs, after that the God comes inside, and statues is getting sealed by varnish. From this only moment the statue is considered as a sacred object.
See my earlier post in this thread about. It usually involves dotting the eyes. this is why you will see statues blindfolded.

Return to “Shrine Room”