Tashi delek from Wisconsin

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.
Starglade

Tashi delek from Wisconsin

Post by Starglade »

Please forgive me for not posting this prior to making my first contribution to the board. That was rather tacky.

I have identified as a Tibetan Buddhist for over five years now, having journeyed from my birth religion of Dutch Reformed through various flavors of nepoaganism and bouts of agnosticism/near-atheism in the last 50+ years. I have been standing at the edge of the pool, dipping in a toe every so often, but never walking in, let alone diving. The time has come to at least wade in up to my knees.

I live about an hour and 15 minutes from Deer Park Buddhist Center, and intend to make the trip there at least monthly starting next month, following my upcoming surgery, assuming I will be able to drive two weeks after having it. I am hopeful. At present that is my best option, as there are no other Tibetan Buddhist centers any closer to me, and driving farther is prohibitive with my schedule.

I have been a substitute teacher for the last school year at the secondary level (middle and high school), while remaining unemployed full-time as I have been since 2009. Prior to that, I worked in a factory for just over ten years before being laid off; however, most of my working adult life was spent as a professional in the editorial field. I worked for a major educational publisher for several years, and then landed a dream job (at the time, it certainly was) with the then-premier role-playing game producer in the country. I left when I had my daughter, 14 years ago--and have "wandered in the wilderness" ever since.

Currently, I am searching for work in the health care administration area, having graduated summa cum laude this past February. While doing so, I am attempting to keep balanced by daily practice and furthering my studies on my own. I hope that I will find something of a "fit" at Deer Park; if so, that will be cause for celebration. And, if not--I will continue searching.

I am very happy to have found this place. I look forward to learning much.

K
ronnewmexico

Re: Tashi delek from Wisconsin

Post by ronnewmexico »

Hello

Things economically seem pretty bad in Wisconsin right now.
Hope things work out for you. Great field, though I'd expect one may have to relocate.
"This order considers that progress can be achieved more rapidly during a single month of self-transformation through terrifying conditions in rough terrain and in "the abode of harmful forces" than through meditating for a period of three years in towns and monasteries"....Takpo Tashi Namgyal.
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

Hi Starglade, and welcome.

The Deer Park Center looks great, I hope this is a good fit. I am not sure in which direction away from it you are, but if you are interested in alternatives this might be close to you: there is another center in the area that is presided over by one of my own Lamas, and he is a truly remarkable teacher and guide. He is not of a monastic lineage though like the monks at the Deer Park Center, he is rather from a lineage of "ngakpas": the tantric lay householder yogis of Tibet. This center is right over the Iowa border, near Lansing. Here is a link so you can read about it
http://www.saraswatibhawan.org/aboutus.html
Whichever center and lineage it turns out you have a connection with, --may you swiftly traverse the stages and the paths for the benefit of all!

-A
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Starglade

Post by Starglade »

ronnewmexico wrote:Hello

Things economically seem pretty bad in Wisconsin right now.
Hope things work out for you. Great field, though I'd expect one may have to relocate.
Hello, Ron, and thank you. Wisconsin's in a rather ugly situation at present, that is so. I'll leave it at that.

Sadly, relocation is not an option for us; there are three children involved, and a shared custody/placement situation regarding two of them. Unless we're prepared to move their mother as well (um--not happening, no), we're quite limited in our options. That said, there is a new HCO opening its doors here after the new year (2012), and there will be much shuffling and hiring at that point. I'm keeping an ear to the ground, as it were.
Starglade

Post by Starglade »

Adamantine wrote:Hi Starglade, and welcome.
Thank you, Adamantine. I live on the other side of the state from the center you've suggested, unfortunately. It would take me over twice as long to reach that one as it will to get to Deer Park.

Were I not looking for Tibetan Buddhism, I would have far more options--but I'm drawn to that for a reason, and I owe it to myself to explore it rather than look for the most convenient sangha irrespective of tradition.
ronnewmexico

Post by ronnewmexico »

Hard to read the future economically, but it is my hobby of sorts, as a supplemental source of income..... and my hobbist view is that....the badest of the bad for individual states is about upon us. The perception of things being bad or worse may occur but the reality seems to me this is it. California not of course directly related, but as a example of the flavor of things..... was in a downward spiral for years and now has finally hit bottom it seems and is starting upward...... receiving a ratings upgrade just last week. Part of the issue is getting the electorate to finally see superheroes are not going to appear in their midst to settle things..... they must get realistic in their options and what is real firstly, leaving strict ideology behind.
The economy as a whole is built upon unstable ground but that is a differing matter, more long long term.

So hanging on may have credence as the most viable option. Things will never return to the 2007's style, but still you will not be effected by the growing ranks of the economically disaffiliated.
Great field..... I have one relative studying a form of that at the present moment, medical documentary adminstration actually. Performing that function in a limited military capacity right now.
Another in the field as a practitioner. This is one thing that will continue to grow, and is the best choice one could make in all probability.

Good luck...your practice can only serve to make things easier and the choices clearer is my experience. I'm sure things will work out in that regard as well.
"This order considers that progress can be achieved more rapidly during a single month of self-transformation through terrifying conditions in rough terrain and in "the abode of harmful forces" than through meditating for a period of three years in towns and monasteries"....Takpo Tashi Namgyal.
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

Welcome! :smile:
Starglade

Post by Starglade »

Huseng wrote:
Thank you!
gnegirl

Post by gnegirl »

Welcome to the forum!
"Things are not what they appear to be: nor are they otherwise." --Surangama Sutra

Phenomenon, vast as space, dharmata is your base, arising and falling like ocean tide cycles, why do i cling to your illusion of unceasing changlessness?
Starglade

Post by Starglade »

gnegirl wrote:
Thanks much. I'm pretty comfortable here, which on the one hand is surprising to me--and on the other, doesn't surprise me much. The surprise comes from finding a board with a similar culture to the one where I've spent the last . . . oh, 14 years or so, which prides itself on being academic/scholarly over fellowship-py (no "warm fuzzies" overall, but plenty of friendships develop through measured discussion and even disagreement). I'm pleased to have found this place.

Now, back to reading. :twothumbsup:
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Starglade wrote:I worked for a major educational publisher for several years, and then landed a dream job (at the time, it certainly was) with the then-premier role-playing game producer in the country.

I take it that was TSR in Lake Geneva?
Starglade

Post by Starglade »

Chaz wrote:

At the risk of name-dropping, I will say you are correct, sir. (I figured "them what knows" would parse it correctly, and "them what don't" wouldn't care anyway.)
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Starglade wrote:
Chaz wrote:

At the risk of name-dropping, I will say you are correct, sir. (I figured "them what knows" would parse it correctly, and "them what don't" wouldn't care anyway.)

Thot so.

I spent more than a little time in my mis-spent youth playing TSR titles - D&D, AD&D, Tractics, Empire of the Petal Throne (played with MAR Barker himself) etc.
Starglade

Post by Starglade »

Chaz wrote: Thot so.

I spent more than a little time in my mis-spent youth playing TSR titles - D&D, AD&D, Tractics, Empire of the Petal Throne (played with MAR Barker himself) etc.
Excellent. While I've been out of that business for 14 years already, it's still nice to hear that folks enjoyed what was done back in the day.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Starglade wrote:
Chaz wrote: Thot so.

Excellent. While I've been out of that business for 14 years already, it's still nice to hear that folks enjoyed what was done back in the day.
Deer Park seems like a decent sort of place. I hope you can make regular trips there despite the time it'll take. Being that far from your sangha can be a challenge. I live about 45 minutes from my sangha and getting up there even once a month can be a problem at times. You do what you have to do I guess.

I also hope it's a good fit for you. Finding a "home" can sometimes prove difficult, but when the right sangha is found it's such a blessing even if you have to drive 1.5 hours to get there.

Good luck

Return to “Introductions”