Dzogchen Community & Yungdrung

Discussion of the fifth religious tradition of Tibet.
User avatar
DechenDave
Posts: 101
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:25 pm

Dzogchen Community & Yungdrung

Post by DechenDave » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:38 pm

Hi

I’ve seen the various back & forths over the years about the compatibility of practicing in both the Bon and ChNNR’s traditions but I think the question takes on new importance these days.
I am wondering about whether one can move from one community to the other (or practice both simultaneously) and still retain the integrity of ones Dzogchen transmission and practice, with blessings from the teachers and so on. I’m not so much looking for speculation or opinion from those with little/no experience in the matter. Rather, I would like to know if anyone in this forum has actually done so, or personally knows someone who has.

Thanks.

florin
Posts: 1188
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:05 pm

Re: Dzogchen Community & Yungdrung

Post by florin » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:27 pm

DechenDave wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:38 pm
Hi

I’ve seen the various back & forths over the years about the compatibility of practicing in both the Bon and ChNNR’s traditions but I think the question takes on new importance these days.
I am wondering about whether one can move from one community to the other (or practice both simultaneously) and still retain the integrity of ones Dzogchen transmission and practice, with blessings from the teachers and so on. I’m not so much looking for speculation or opinion from those with little/no experience in the matter. Rather, I would like to know if anyone in this forum has actually done so, or personally knows someone who has.

Thanks.
In the G.Y as was taught by ChNN, Rinpoche used to advive that we can unite all our teachers and in this way we are maintaining connection to all transmissions. The essence of G.Y is after all the essence of all transmissions.

User avatar
kalden yungdrung
Posts: 4602
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:40 pm

Re: Dzogchen Community & Yungdrung

Post by kalden yungdrung » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:30 pm

Tashi delek,

Sorry from my side no more comments to this topic until the Administrator DNS has looked upon the deleting of my post, regarding this topic.

KY.
The best meditation is no meditation

Marc
Posts: 176
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:40 am

Re: Dzogchen Community & Yungdrung

Post by Marc » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:53 pm

I am a student of both ChNN & Yongdzin Tenzin Namdak...
And as far as I can tell... I'm doing just fine ! ;)

Why would you imagine that this could somehow "compromise the integrity of one's transmission" ???

User avatar
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator
Posts: 10134
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:58 pm
Location: Olympia WA
Contact:

Re: Dzogchen Community & Yungdrung

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:01 pm

I don't know the official answer to this at all. Provisionally, Bonpo Tantra could get pretty confusing if you were trying to do both. Dzogchen is Dzogchen, from my PoV, and I've taken Bon teachings, and hung out with a Bon sangha occasionally.

I have witnessed people who say 'yes' and 'no' from both sides, and I just go with what ChNN said. You can be prepared for some friction though if involved in both communities IME...it's there, understandably.
"...if you think about how many hours, months and years of your life you've spent looking at things, being fascinated by things that have now passed away, then how wonderful to spend even five minutes looking into the nature of your own mind."

-James Low

User avatar
DechenDave
Posts: 101
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:25 pm

Re: Dzogchen Community & Yungdrung

Post by DechenDave » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:26 pm

Thanks for the replies so far
Marc wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:53 pm
I am a student of both ChNN & Yongdzin Tenzin Namdak...
And as far as I can tell... I'm doing just fine ! ;)

Why would you imagine that this could somehow "compromise the integrity of one's transmission" ???
I don’t particularly imagine that it would or wouldn’t - inherently. I am wondering more about how the teachers themselves feel about it and whether they have definitively commented, how common it actually is and so on. Often discussions take the form of students interpreting comments made in a different context or the “compatibility of refuge in Buddhism and Bon” etc.
I remember reading a long time ago that Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche wasn’t a big fan of students “mixing” the two (although I have no definition of “mixing” or knowledge of the original context, if he in fact had said it).

User avatar
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator
Posts: 10134
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:58 pm
Location: Olympia WA
Contact:

Re: Dzogchen Community & Yungdrung

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:36 am

I've done multiple teachings with him where half the practitioners at least were Buddhist. Additionally, when ChNN passed not only was TWR supportive, but he said outright he considered ChNN to be one of his teachers.

So, I suspect what that would mean is something like 'pick something and stick with it'. It would get weird trying to pratice Bon yidam, mantra etc.

Dzogchen practices are (from what I know _ Heart Drops of Dharmakaya etc.) are similar if not identical. It seems like Bon teachers might emphasize shamatha with White A more..but what I have seen of Bon Dzogchen is pretty compatible.

Id be curious to see an official opinion from Yongdzin Rinpoche etc.
"...if you think about how many hours, months and years of your life you've spent looking at things, being fascinated by things that have now passed away, then how wonderful to spend even five minutes looking into the nature of your own mind."

-James Low

User avatar
Garudavista
Posts: 118
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:36 pm

Re: Dzogchen Community & Yungdrung

Post by Garudavista » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:47 am

I’ve been lucky enough to have received teachings from ChNN and other Buddhist teachers and three Bonpos: Tempa Lama, Chongtrul Rinpoche and Alejandro Chaoul. None of my teachers from either tradition have ever discouraged practice in the other tradition. And I’ve never experienced confusion while practicing both traditions. In my view they are compatible. Their major differences are differences of lineage. And because I deeply respect both lineages and feel a strong connection to both, I have no problem.

Maybe all this simply means I have a connection to Bon Sarma or that I have a Rime-like attitude about my practice. In any case, it’s not a problem. It’s just the opposite, receiving Bon teachings has helped me be a better Buddhist and receiving Buddhist teachings has helped me be a better Bonpo. They are both good because, as Kuntuzangpo might say, “It’s All Good!” :smile:

jbaumannmontilla
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:16 pm

Re: Dzogchen Community & Yungdrung

Post by jbaumannmontilla » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:15 am

I was just listening to Alejandro Chaoul on the Wisdom Podcast and he talks about how he studied both in the Bon tradition and with ChNN.

https://learn.wisdompubs.org/podcast/

It's a very nice interview.

User avatar
Garudavista
Posts: 118
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:36 pm

Re: Dzogchen Community & Yungdrung

Post by Garudavista » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:58 am

Thanks for the link. Alejandro is an excellent teacher. Very powerful. I will now download that podcast episode and listen to it on my morning commute tomorrow. :namaste:

User avatar
lelopa
Posts: 541
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:03 pm

Re: Dzogchen Community & Yungdrung

Post by lelopa » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:16 am

Marc wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:53 pm
I am a student of both ChNN & Yongdzin Tenzin Namdak...
And as far as I can tell... I'm doing just fine ! ;)

.............................
me too :smile:
हूं हूं हूं
फट् फट् फट्

User avatar
treehuggingoctopus
Posts: 1834
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:26 pm
Location: Mudhole? Slimy? My home, this is.

Re: Dzogchen Community & Yungdrung

Post by treehuggingoctopus » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:31 am

Johnny Dangerous wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:36 am
So, I suspect what that would mean is something like 'pick something and stick with it'. It would get weird trying to pratice Bon yidam, mantra etc.
Many do it, though. Think of Vajranatha. Some of the people who invited TWR to central Europe were ChNN's students at the time, and have practiced in both sanghas ever since.

I have a strong impression that for some younger Bon lamas ChNN is "theirs," not "ours."
. . . there they saw a rock! But it wasn't a rock . . .

User avatar
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator
Posts: 10134
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:58 pm
Location: Olympia WA
Contact:

Re: Dzogchen Community & Yungdrung

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:37 am

Oh I'm not disqualifying it by any means. I personally don't feel like I could take on Bon Yidam practices, but thats just me. Itd be beyond my own capacity to maintain my Vajrayana practices and do that, but for some I'm sure no problem.
"...if you think about how many hours, months and years of your life you've spent looking at things, being fascinated by things that have now passed away, then how wonderful to spend even five minutes looking into the nature of your own mind."

-James Low

PeterC
Posts: 1153
Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 12:38 pm

Re: Dzogchen Community & Yungdrung

Post by PeterC » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:47 am

Plenty of people have received teachings from both. But there is a leap of faith you have to make, which is that the objects of refuge are not the same. Nowhere will you find in any Buddhist canon something that affirms that Tonpa Sherab Miwoche is equivalent to Sakyamuni Buddha as providing a valid path to liberation, and though I'm not so familiar with Bon teachings, I doubt you'll find a reciprocal affirmation in the Bon canon. Relying on an incorrect object of refuge is a problem in either system. It's not quite the same as, say, contrasting the mahayana with the vajrayana, where the objects of refuge of one are a subset of the objects of refuge of the other: here, there isn't an overlap explicitly agreed by both sides.

Would be interested in the views of our friend kalden yungdrung on this - what happened to his post?

Varis
Posts: 169
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:09 am

Re: Dzogchen Community & Yungdrung

Post by Varis » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:58 am

PeterC wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:47 am
Nowhere will you find in any Buddhist canon something that affirms that Tonpa Sherab Miwoche is equivalent to Sakyamuni Buddha as providing a valid path to liberation, and though I'm not so familiar with Bon teachings, I doubt you'll find a reciprocal affirmation in the Bon canon.
Bonpo regard Sakyamuni as a student of Shenrab Miwoche in a past life, and they do recognize him as a fully realized Buddha.
I think HH the Dalai Lama having taken refuge in Bon is good enough evidence that there is no problem.

PeterC
Posts: 1153
Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 12:38 pm

Re: Dzogchen Community & Yungdrung

Post by PeterC » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:05 am

Varis wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:58 am
PeterC wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:47 am
Nowhere will you find in any Buddhist canon something that affirms that Tonpa Sherab Miwoche is equivalent to Sakyamuni Buddha as providing a valid path to liberation, and though I'm not so familiar with Bon teachings, I doubt you'll find a reciprocal affirmation in the Bon canon.
Bonpo regard Sakyamuni as a student of Shenrab Miwoche in a past life, and they do recognize him as a fully realized Buddha.
I think HH the Dalai Lama having taken refuge in Bon is good enough evidence that there is no problem.
The Bon view of Sakyamuni would address the problem from a Bon perspective but not from a Buddhist perspective.

Again, not saying that it's not ok. HHDL clearly thinks it is. But there's nothing in the Vajrayana canon that *says* it is.

Marc
Posts: 176
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:40 am

Re: Dzogchen Community & Yungdrung

Post by Marc » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:17 am

DechenDave wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:26 pm
I don’t particularly imagine that it would or wouldn’t - inherently. I am wondering more about how the teachers themselves feel about it and whether they have definitively commented, how common it actually is and so on. Often discussions take the form of students interpreting comments made in a different context or the “compatibility of refuge in Buddhism and Bon” etc.
I remember reading a long time ago that Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche wasn’t a big fan of students “mixing” the two (although I have no definition of “mixing” or knowledge of the original context, if he in fact had said it).
Norbu Rinpoche received Dzogchen & Tantric transmissions from Yongdzin Rinpoche, and actually brought some of his students with him.  

This too me, definitely settles the question...

Marc
Posts: 176
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:40 am

Re: Dzogchen Community & Yungdrung

Post by Marc » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:20 am

DechenDave wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:26 pm
I don’t particularly imagine that it would or wouldn’t - inherently. I am wondering more about how the teachers themselves feel about it and whether they have definitively commented, how common it actually is and so on. Often discussions take the form of students interpreting comments made in a different context or the “compatibility of refuge in Buddhism and Bon” etc.
I remember reading a long time ago that Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche wasn’t a big fan of students “mixing” the two (although I have no definition of “mixing” or knowledge of the original context, if he in fact had said it).
Norbu Rinpoche received Dzogchen & Tantric transmissions from Yongdzin Rinpoche, and actually brought some of his students with him.  

This too me, definitely settles the question...



jbaumannmontilla wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:15 am
I was just listening to Alejandro Chaoul on the Wisdom Podcast and he talks about how he studied both in the Bon tradition and with ChNN.

https://learn.wisdompubs.org/podcast/

It's a very nice interview.
Indeed ! And even more so: Norbu Rinpoche actually "pushed" Alejandro to study with Yongdzin Rinpoche (AKA Lopon Tenzin Namdak)



lelopa wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:16 am
Marc wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:53 pm
I am a student of both ChNN & Yongdzin Tenzin Namdak...
And as far as I can tell... I'm doing just fine ! ;)

.............................
me too :smile:
[/quote]

Do we know each other ? Have you been in Shenten ? :smile:

User avatar
lelopa
Posts: 541
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:03 pm

Re: Dzogchen Community & Yungdrung

Post by lelopa » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:10 am

Marc wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:20 am
DechenDave wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:26 pm
I don’t particularly imagine that it would or wouldn’t - inherently. I am wondering more about how the teachers themselves feel about it and whether they have definitively commented, how common it actually is and so on. Often discussions take the form of students interpreting comments made in a different context or the “compatibility of refuge in Buddhism and Bon” etc.
I remember reading a long time ago that Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche wasn’t a big fan of students “mixing” the two (although I have no definition of “mixing” or knowledge of the original context, if he in fact had said it).
Norbu Rinpoche received Dzogchen & Tantric transmissions from Yongdzin Rinpoche, and actually brought some of his students with him.  

This too me, definitely settles the question...

jbaumannmontilla wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:15 am
I was just listening to Alejandro Chaoul on the Wisdom Podcast and he talks about how he studied both in the Bon tradition and with ChNN.

https://learn.wisdompubs.org/podcast/

It's a very nice interview.
Indeed ! And even more so: Norbu Rinpoche actually "pushed" Alejandro to study with Yongdzin Rinpoche (AKA Lopon Tenzin Namdak)



lelopa wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:16 am
Marc wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:53 pm
I am a student of both ChNN & Yongdzin Tenzin Namdak...
And as far as I can tell... I'm doing just fine ! ;)

.............................
me too :smile:
Do we know each other ? Have you been in Shenten ? :smile:
[/quote]


No!
But f.e. in Hoefen Germany
हूं हूं हूं
फट् फट् फट्

User avatar
lelopa
Posts: 541
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:03 pm

Re: Dzogchen Community & Yungdrung

Post by lelopa » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:13 am

PeterC wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:05 am
Varis wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:58 am
PeterC wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:47 am
Nowhere will you find in any Buddhist canon something that affirms that Tonpa Sherab Miwoche is equivalent to Sakyamuni Buddha as providing a valid path to liberation, and though I'm not so familiar with Bon teachings, I doubt you'll find a reciprocal affirmation in the Bon canon.
Bonpo regard Sakyamuni as a student of Shenrab Miwoche in a past life, and they do recognize him as a fully realized Buddha.
I think HH the Dalai Lama having taken refuge in Bon is good enough evidence that there is no problem.
The Bon view of Sakyamuni would address the problem from a Bon perspective but not from a Buddhist perspective.

Again, not saying that it's not ok. HHDL clearly thinks it is. But there's nothing in the Vajrayana canon that *says* it is.

In some Termas & Termas belong to Vajrayana.... more or less.
हूं हूं हूं
फट् फट् फट्

Post Reply

Return to “Bön”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests