'T' is for 'Total'

A place to discuss health and fitness, including healthy diets, etc.
Wayfarer
Former staff member

'T' is for 'Total'

Post by Wayfarer »

I had thought that the 'tee' in 'teetotal' might be a reference to tea-drinking as an alternative to liquor, but no. I watched the beginning of a Netflix doco on the prohibition recently, where I gleaned the nugget of information that the word 'teetotal' comes from a 19th century temperance movement that was was pledged to the total abstinence from alcohol. So the 't' stood for 'total', i.e. 'total abstinence'.

And I've come to the rather hard realisation, that this is what I need to do. I don't consider myself to have 'a drinking problem' - but then, I will drink beer and often wine almost every day. Not huge amounts of either, but at least some. And I am coming to realise it has very deleterious effects both on general health and certainly on the ability to practice meditation. (Alcohol is actually a poison, like all drugs.)

I have gone for periods without alcohol, principally as a consequence of participating in a charity fund-raiser called Dry July, which I observed for the last several years. So I know what's involved. It's just that when I get home in the evening (especially in this scorching Australian summer, which has set records), a beer, or two, or three, just seems about the best thing in the world.

But, I have to quit. And I also vow not to bore anyone talking about it - well, except for here... :emb: . But have to do it. I am going to adopt 'T' as a kind of visual icon, like, get a shirt and a baseball cap with 'T' on it. T. For 'total'.
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
KeithA

Re: 'T' is for 'Total'

Post by KeithA »

Wayfarer wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:06 am I had thought that the 'tee' in 'teetotal' might be a reference to tea-drinking as an alternative to liquor, but no. I watched the beginning of a Netflix doco on the prohibition recently, where I gleaned the nugget of information that the word 'teetotal' comes from a 19th century temperance movement that was was pledged to the total abstinence from alcohol. So the 't' stood for 'total', i.e. 'total abstinence'.

And I've come to the rather hard realisation, that this is what I need to do. I don't consider myself to have 'a drinking problem' - but then, I will drink beer and often wine almost every day. Not huge amounts of either, but at least some. And I am coming to realise it has very deleterious effects both on general health and certainly on the ability to practice meditation. (Alcohol is actually a poison, like all drugs.)

I have gone for periods without alcohol, principally as a consequence of participating in a charity fund-raiser called Dry July, which I observed for the last several years. So I know what's involved. It's just that when I get home in the evening (especially in this scorching Australian summer, which has set records), a beer, or two, or three, just seems about the best thing in the world.

But, I have to quit. And I also vow not to bore anyone talking about it - well, except for here... :emb: . But have to do it. I am going to adopt 'T' as a kind of visual icon, like, get a shirt and a baseball cap with 'T' on it. T. For 'total'.
I have been toying with this myself. I would say I have the exact same relationship with alcohol. A little just about everyday, but I have come to see even that small amount to be a hindrance. Thanks for the food for thought...and possibly a bit of motivation!

_/|\_
Keith
When walking, standing, sitting, lying down, speaking,
being silent, moving, being still.
At all times, in all places, without interruption - what is this?
One mind is infinite kalpas.

New Haven Zen Center
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

Good luck :thumbsup:

Finally gave up a weekly treat after another horrible hangover from just two beers. Now to cut back on some other things.
Namu Amida Butsu
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

I’ve been clean & sober 20 years. It only got bad towards the end, but looking back with a clear mind I see that it was always a hinderance.

So I applaud your efforts. Good luck.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Abusive relationship with alcohol on and off throughout my life, don't drink now, and work in the field of addiction treatment myself.

"Problem" is in the eye the beholder, if ya gotta quit ya gotta quit. Lots of people go from "no problem" to a problem too, for instance empty-nesters who before had other people to spend their energy on. Folks who end up drinking more because of physical pain, to cover up depression and anxiety etc. etc. There is no special personality or circumstances that make one a "problem drinker"...it's a spectrum.

You'll do great, before long the missing it will likely fade.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

Thanks all. My younger sister has been teetotal for 10 years, it’s really helped her. And now the two beers left in my fridge will have to find a new owner.... :sad:
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Wayfarer wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:05 am Thanks all. My younger sister has been teetotal for 10 years, it’s really helped her. And now the two beers left in my fridge will have to find a new owner.... :sad:
On the one hand, it's bad to waste anything. On the other, you wouldn't like to give anyone something that's bad for them, would you?
:juggling:

One more option is to use them in cooking (e.g.) a stew, which will burn off the alcohol.
:stirthepot:

Or you could just pour them down the sink ... but that's so un-Australian that ScoMo would probably deport you to Kazakstan.
:jawdrop:

:coffee:
Kim
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

Make some beer-battered tofu or something! :smile:
Namu Amida Butsu
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

son will make short work of them. He's due over on the weekend to help with some chores.

Oh, and one thing I don't intend to be - and here's another good Aussie word - is a wowser. So, as I said, I'm not going to hold forth with friends and family about the 'virtues of abstinence'. In fact, *not* talking about it is part of the sadhana :smile: .
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I drink about a bottle of red wine a month. It helps with my arthritis I think. One or two glasses a week seems to be fine, but I've been drinking like this on and off since I was 5.

Quality may play a big part. My brother made some wonderful ale with hops picked on the full moon, etc. That felt very healthy. Store bought beer makes me feel sick. Haven't touched it in years.

Return to “Wellness, Diet and Fitness”