What is Bon Shamanism

Discussion of the fifth religious tradition of Tibet.
kalden yungdrung

Re: What is Bon Shamanism

Post by kalden yungdrung »

IN ADDITION:

Nima and his friends the Bön Shamans from Nepal.
He can teach them , because Nima can practice the higher Ways in Bön, like Bön Tantra which is a higher teaching.
Nima and Bön Shamans - 00.jpg
Nima and Bön Shamans - 00.jpg (333.52 KiB) Viewed 2086 times
The best meditation is no meditation
kalden yungdrung

IN ADDITION:

Nima and H.E. the Bön Yongdzin Rinpoche.

Here are also some women gathered , who are teached by Nima Lama.
Nima Lama is in front of Lopon La, to the right side.

Nima and Lopon La - 00.jpg
Nima and Lopon La - 00.jpg (94.56 KiB) Viewed 2085 times
kalden yungdrung

Tashi delek,

"Between The Lines:
exorcising the old year in a Himalayan Bönpo village"
with thanks to Prof. Charles Ramble (Paris). :namaste:
[Subtitles in English]

Oklahoma

Post by Oklahoma »

Lhasa wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:35 pm They worship shiva? How terribly sad!! Nice to know that though, I'll stay away from Bon shamanism and dharma products from countries that are polluted by shiva worship.
Dear Lhasa, did Shiva used to bully you in school and steal your lunch money?
Anyway, regardless, since you just erased in one fell swoop pretty much every Asian country where Vajrayana is practiced to include at least Nepal and India where Shiva is worshipped as well, it begs the question, so where do you agree to have your dharma items imported from?

Also I am curious, if one day you become afflicted with an otherwise unhealable medical condition, would you push away a Bon shaman who could actually heal you just because he worships Shiva?

My personal sense is that none of us are enlightened enough to know if a given deity is enlightened or not. Best not to disrespect a deity who may very well be an embodiment of the divine after all.

In Tibet for example Padmasambhava statues had been destroyed, and Nyingma monestaries burned, by monks of the new traditions, for example.

I know that throughout history many followers of various religions throughout the world have believed that their religion is the only one True path and that other paths and their followers need to be destroyed. Thankfully all that’s now in the Middle Ages.
kalden yungdrung

Oklahoma wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:01 pm

Also I am curious, if one day you become afflicted with an otherwise unhealable medical condition, would you push away a Bon shaman who could actually heal you just because he worships Shiva?
A Bön Shaman never worships Shiva. That Shamans worship Shiva, that is practised by the other Nepali Shamans who are also related to Mount Tise.
These Shamans can perform still the blood sacrifices because of the wrathful aspects of Shiva.
They bite off for instance in a tree the head of a chicken. Bön Shamans never do these rituals, due to their oath of Compassion in the Lineage of Buddha Tönpa Shenrap Miwoche.

Lhasa does not like these rituals of the "Shiva" Shamans and confuses them with the Bön Shamans.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

kalden yungdrung wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:13 amThese Shamans can perform still the blood sacrifices because of the wrathful aspects of Shiva.
They bite off for instance in a tree the head of a chicken.
Evidence?
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
kalden yungdrung

Tashi delek,

The soul can be lost sometimes and soul retrieval is then a way to get back that soul again.
This soul retrieval is also practised by the Bön Shaman who in turn learned this ritual from the monks.
Soul retrieval belongs to the 3 Lower Ways in Bön

================

Look also here:
https://www.createkindkarma.com/kind-ka ... ean-telano
kalden yungdrung

Tashi delek,

Except Nepal, East Tibet has also its Bön Shamanism culture.

===============

By: Клавдия Даулетова-Атласова

Shamans of East Tibet.

Every summer in the sixth month according to the lunar calendar in east, there is a festival of shamans (pub). It is an ancient tradition that is based on the followers of bon religion, a religion that was in tibetan long before the arrival of Buddhism.

The Festival is held in order to improve the local spirits, on which the harvest and well-being of the locals depends on the harvest and well-being of the locals. After the arrival of Buddhism in Tibet, the rituals of bon religion have gradually gone to no. However, for some reasons, there are still shamans in the remote mountain villages of East Tibet, who have kept their faith and rituals.

Since every resident of the village is interested in their well-being and in good income, everyone takes part in ceremonies without exception. Every village has its own shaman, which is in touch with its spirit. Thus, every village has its own rituals. I visited two villages, where I watched a total of three shamans. In the first village in shaman included a spirit, very similar to the commander of the squad. The Spirit built all residents in ranks and made sure that all participants do the necessary actions: men were March, and performed certain movements standing still; women dancing at the end of the "squad". at certain moments of the ceremony, the attached to the ball asked relevant questions, And the shaman, answering, gave predictions for the future.

In the second village there were two shaman who were in connection with one spirit. The ritual began with the smoking of worship in the local temple as an offering to this spirit. After that, all men of the village formed a closed circle and began to perform religious dance to the sounds of drums. Two Shaman entered the center of the circle, hitting their drums, starting certain mantra. After a while, they were immersed in trance, and the spirit entered the bodies of both of them.

The Spirit that came into the body of a shaman sometimes acting very aggressive. He could make the shaman quickly run to someone from the participants and beat him or, for example, take a bottle and throw in someone. At some point I was a little scared to stand near and shoot what is happening on the camera. There was one moment when I was interested in shooting, and the shaman, a second ago standing away and beating his drum, suddenly turned around and ran right on me. I moved back and, when I hit a cat, almost fell if one of the Tibetan people didn't catch me.

For the sake of the photo and video of the whole festival i brought with me both a few lens and a tripod. But in the end I couldn't use the lens or the staff - I couldn't use it - I had to constantly walk, run and be on the check. Since the shaman could behave aggressive at any moment, it was not until the changes of the lens and the installation of the staff. This video didn't make it very clear. But still it was possible to shoot something! Video of the first two days of the Shaman Festival: at the beginning of the video you will see a shaman from the first village, which entered the "Spirit-Commander", and in the second half of the video there are two shaman from the second village and religious dance of all the increase of the ritual.

Shamans East.Tibet - 00.jpg
Shamans East.Tibet - 00.jpg (691.96 KiB) Viewed 1729 times
kalden yungdrung

IN ADDITION:

Shamans East.Tibet - 01.jpg
Shamans East.Tibet - 01.jpg (634.89 KiB) Viewed 1729 times
kalden yungdrung