Kamala Devi Harris

The best place for discussion of current events. News about Buddhists and Buddhism is particularly welcome.
User avatar
DNS
Site Admin
Posts: 3394
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:23 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, Estados Unidos de América
Contact:

Kamala Devi Harris

Post by DNS » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:22 pm

Kamala Devi Harris has officially announced her POTUS 2020 run.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamala_Harris
Her name, Kamala, comes from the Sanskrit word for the lotus flower. Her family lived in Berkeley, California, where both of her parents attended graduate school.[9] She was extremely close to her maternal grandfather, P. V. Gopalan, an Indian diplomat.[5][10] As a child, she frequently visited her extended family in the Besant Nagar neighborhood of Chennai, Tamil Nadu.[11] Harris grew up going to both a black Baptist church and a Hindu temple.[12] She has one younger sister, Maya Harris.[13][14] They both sang in a Baptist choir.[15]
She is Jamaican and Tamil Indian ancestry, raised in Christian and Hindu environments, however, unlike Tulsi Gabbard who is openly Hindu; Harris appears to have embraced Christianity as her religion. Not that religion matters of course, but just found that interesting and that she has Sanskrit first and middle names.

amanitamusc
Posts: 1639
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:32 am

Re: Kamala Devi Harris

Post by amanitamusc » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:29 pm

DNS wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:22 pm
Kamala Devi Harris has officially announced her POTUS 2020 run.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamala_Harris
Her name, Kamala, comes from the Sanskrit word for the lotus flower. Her family lived in Berkeley, California, where both of her parents attended graduate school.[9] She was extremely close to her maternal grandfather, P. V. Gopalan, an Indian diplomat.[5][10] As a child, she frequently visited her extended family in the Besant Nagar neighborhood of Chennai, Tamil Nadu.[11] Harris grew up going to both a black Baptist church and a Hindu temple.[12] She has one younger sister, Maya Harris.[13][14] They both sang in a Baptist choir.[15]
She is Jamaican and Tamil Indian ancestry, raised in Christian and Hindu environments, however, unlike Tulsi Gabbard who is openly Hindu; Harris appears to have embraced Christianity as her religion. Not that religion matters of course, but just found that interesting and that she has Sanskrit first and middle names.
I think religion does matter in fact when was the last time a non Christian was elected potus.
These two do not have a chance imo.Sadly.

User avatar
Yavana
Posts: 1158
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:15 am
Location: Trumpaloka

Re: Kamala Devi Harris

Post by Yavana » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:33 pm

I love her middle name and I think this is a great idea, though if I vote I will be voting Republican.

User avatar
DNS
Site Admin
Posts: 3394
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:23 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, Estados Unidos de América
Contact:

Re: Kamala Devi Harris

Post by DNS » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:38 pm

amanitamusc wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:29 pm
I think religion does matter in fact when was the last time a non Christian was elected potus.
These two do not have a chance imo.Sadly.
Actually, you're right, I think I wrote that with too much PC in mind. Religion does matter, but shouldn't be the sole criteria, I should have said. Religion matters because often leaders make decisions consulting "their higher father" (GW Bush) and/or become obsessed with overturning Roe v. Wade while ignoring the problems of grown adults. A leader who had ahimsa as his/her central policy would be a huge improvement.

User avatar
Queequeg
Global Moderator
Posts: 8559
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:24 pm

Re: Kamala Devi Harris

Post by Queequeg » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:09 am

No. Another DNC establishment sock puppet who develops policy based on focus group feed back.

Gillibrand is another one.

Just no.

And no to Cory Booker with his feels. I don't trust a Wall Street banker over doing all the talk about love. I just can't see how devotion to love at your core leads you to Wall Street.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

amanitamusc
Posts: 1639
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:32 am

Re: Kamala Devi Harris

Post by amanitamusc » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:47 am

Queequeg wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:09 am
No. Another DNC establishment sock puppet who develops policy based on focus group feed back.

Gillibrand is another one.

Just no.

And no to Cory Booker with his feels. I don't trust a Wall Street banker over doing all the talk about love. I just can't see how devotion to love at your core leads you to Wall Street.
:good:

PeterC
Posts: 1079
Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 12:38 pm

Re: Kamala Devi Harris

Post by PeterC » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:42 am

Kamala Harris has been a very effective Senator and I'm sure would be a great president.

But let's be realistic about what's going to happen here.

About 15-20 people will contest the democratic primary. They'll engage in some absurd ideological purity test and force each other into extreme positions that can't possibly work with the broader electorate. They'll provide the republicans with all the talking points they need for the actual election. Whoever survives this will get rolled over easily by Trump, or Pence, or Flake/Romney/whoever in the actual election.

This pantomime will continue until the Democrats decide they actually want to win.

At some point demographics will weaken the Republican base to the point where their current strategy is untenable. But we're a decade out from that at least, in which time the republicans will reposition themselves - because they actually care about maintaining power, and understand how that is done.

User avatar
Queequeg
Global Moderator
Posts: 8559
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:24 pm

Re: Kamala Devi Harris

Post by Queequeg » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:32 pm

PeterC wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:42 am
Kamala Harris has been a very effective Senator and I'm sure would be a great president.

But let's be realistic about what's going to happen here.

About 15-20 people will contest the democratic primary. They'll engage in some absurd ideological purity test and force each other into extreme positions that can't possibly work with the broader electorate. They'll provide the republicans with all the talking points they need for the actual election. Whoever survives this will get rolled over easily by Trump, or Pence, or Flake/Romney/whoever in the actual election.

This pantomime will continue until the Democrats decide they actually want to win.

At some point demographics will weaken the Republican base to the point where their current strategy is untenable. But we're a decade out from that at least, in which time the republicans will reposition themselves - because they actually care about maintaining power, and understand how that is done.
Maybe.

It's not about purity for me. It's whether you believe what you're saying. I'd seriously consider voting for Kasich or Romney over a Frankenstein Democratic sock puppet.

There is a sincerity test. I think that was Hilary's biggest shortcoming. She did not collapse to left pressure and pretty much stayed true to the Clinton triangulation play book, which involves sticking your finger in the air before deciding what you say. She could not generate enthusiasm and she lost where it mattered.

The question is who can speak to purple states. Someone as insincere appearing as Harris, or Booker, or Gillinbrand will get roasted in those places no matter what message they carry because they come off as fake.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

User avatar
Queequeg
Global Moderator
Posts: 8559
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:24 pm

Re: Kamala Devi Harris

Post by Queequeg » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:11 pm

PeterC wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:42 am
This pantomime will continue until the Democrats decide they actually want to win.
I think this is the view of establishment Democrats. Same thing they said to the New Left back in 68.

Its always given as a reason to vote for one of the "centrists". As rational as that might be, it doesn't often generate enthusiasm because its the choice of the pragmatists, who, let's face it, are never any fun. Good or bad, enthusiasm is a key factor in presidential elections - getting people out of their routines to vote, getting people who are undecided days before the election (?!) to vote. We can critique all that, but in the end, it doesn't lead to election victories. We have to work with the voting public as they are.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

如傑優婆塞
Posts: 332
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:47 pm

Re: Kamala Devi Harris

Post by 如傑優婆塞 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:13 am

phpBB [video]

Interesting...

User avatar
Queequeg
Global Moderator
Posts: 8559
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:24 pm

Re: Kamala Devi Harris

Post by Queequeg » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:36 pm

Watched this last night.

I'm hearing more and more complaining, but it looks like the DNC (ie. the Clinton machinery) is trying to clear the field for their favorite candidate. I'm guessing Harris is the one. There seems to be a full court press by opinion makers and talking heads across media to puff her up and in the next breath call for Sanders to get out of the way.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

tingdzin
Posts: 1120
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:19 am

Re: Kamala Devi Harris

Post by tingdzin » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:53 am

Peterc said it all. From what I know of Harris, I admire her, but the Democrats are never going to win national office ever again unless they choose candidates who are not from the thought ghetto of the Northeast and California. Biden isn't, but he's too old. And Sanders is better as a Senator than he would be as a President.

User avatar
Queequeg
Global Moderator
Posts: 8559
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:24 pm

Re: Kamala Devi Harris

Post by Queequeg » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:09 pm

tingdzin wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:53 am
Peterc said it all. From what I know of Harris, I admire her, but the Democrats are never going to win national office ever again unless they choose candidates who are not from the thought ghetto of the Northeast and California. Biden isn't, but he's too old. And Sanders is better as a Senator than he would be as a President.
Um... Harris is a prime example of Northeast/Cal establishment thought ghetto thinking...
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

User avatar
Quay
Posts: 340
Joined: Mon May 16, 2016 6:07 pm

Re: Kamala Devi Harris

Post by Quay » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:42 pm

Queequeg wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:36 pm
Watched this last night.

I'm hearing more and more complaining, but it looks like the DNC (ie. the Clinton machinery) is trying to clear the field for their favorite candidate. I'm guessing Harris is the one. There seems to be a full court press by opinion makers and talking heads across media to puff her up and in the next breath call for Sanders to get out of the way.
The Clinton machine was severely out-gunned by the organizations setup by the Obama campaign. It has never recovered and has been shunned by many Democrats especially donors in recent years. The one who is out in front right now, Elizabeth Warren, has not only copied Obama's tactics but also improved on them and is already got an enormous ground operation going in key states including Iowa. Warren is -not- the favorite of the centrist-corporate Democratic Party folks but has enough backing of others that she has a superb chance at the nomination.

While Harris is mounting a serious bid I don't see her record helping her, especially as more examination of it seems to turn people away, and the fact she's already made several unnecessary missteps doesn't point to a candidate or campaign that can challenge Warren. And Sanders seems to have one thing in common with Trump: a fiercely loyal base that is not large enough to win an election in 2020.

For myself, I'd be quite happy to vote for Warren and see her as the next president of the United States.
"Knowledge is as infinite as the stars in the sky;
There is no end to all the subjects one could study.
It is better to grasp straight away their very essence--
The unchanging fortress of the Dharmakaya."

– Longchenpa.

User avatar
Queequeg
Global Moderator
Posts: 8559
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:24 pm

Re: Kamala Devi Harris

Post by Queequeg » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:09 pm

Watched some of Harris' Iowa town hall on CNN last night.

One thing that bothers me is that CNN gave Harris a platform, but AFAIK, has not extended the same opportunity to any of the other candidates. This raises serious questions about how that decision was made and makes one wonder at the rigging that is already starting.

I have to admit, that before yesterday, I only knew about Harris really from what has been reported about her background and the contrived grand standing at the Kavanaugh hearing.

She appears confident, comfortable, relatable. She's got the charisma for the national stage. She takes her prosecutor background and makes it work for her every chance she gets. She seems to have adopted all the progressive agenda items in word, but her less than full throated commitment to universal healthcare, affordable college, and Green New Deal portend an Obama style pragmatism that will disappoint and piss off the social democratic left.

She's an establishment candidate. She will not lead on the issues, and may very well sell out on them.

Between Trump and Harris, there's no choice but to vote Harris, but expectations would be low.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

User avatar
DNS
Site Admin
Posts: 3394
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:23 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, Estados Unidos de América
Contact:

Re: Kamala Devi Harris

Post by DNS » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:42 pm

Queequeg wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:09 pm
Watched some of Harris' Iowa town hall on CNN last night.
One thing that bothers me is that CNN gave Harris a platform, but AFAIK, has not extended the same opportunity to any of the other candidates. This raises serious questions about how that decision was made and makes one wonder at the rigging that is already starting.
I watched it too. Jake Tapper said that "it was the first of many town halls" so apparently they will be doing that for all the candidates. But why did they choose Kamala first and not Warren, who I believe announced earlier? It could be a coronation going on with the Democrat leaders preferring Harris or Biden, not giving some of the other outliers much of a chance.

Harris or Biden are more centrist, so perhaps the Party leaders (and the media) see them as more "electable" in the general election (Nov 2020).

User avatar
Yavana
Posts: 1158
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:15 am
Location: Trumpaloka

Re: Kamala Devi Harris

Post by Yavana » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:02 pm

Queequeg wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:09 pm
She appears confident, comfortable, relatable. She's got the charisma for the national stage. She takes her prosecutor background and makes it work for her every chance she gets.
She's an attractive candidate.

User avatar
Nemo
Posts: 1207
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:23 am
Location: Canada

Re: Kamala Devi Harris

Post by Nemo » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:05 am

Trump donated to her because of her abuse of poor families. She is just another product of America's corrupt policing system.

https://www.latimes.com/politics/la-pol ... story.html

tingdzin
Posts: 1120
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:19 am

Re: Kamala Devi Harris

Post by tingdzin » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:39 am

Queequeg wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:09 pm
tingdzin wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:53 am
Peterc said it all. From what I know of Harris, I admire her, but the Democrats are never going to win national office ever again unless they choose candidates who are not from the thought ghetto of the Northeast and California. Biden isn't, but he's too old. And Sanders is better as a Senator than he would be as a President.
Um... Harris is a prime example of Northeast/Cal establishment thought ghetto thinking...
So? I just said she would not be elected nationwide for that reason. That doesn't mean I personally can't like what she says. If I understand your objection, it seems to be a prime example of the angelization/demonization of political figures in America that has led us to the present pass. I can see the weaknesses of people I agree with, and the good points of people I disagree with. Can you?

User avatar
Queequeg
Global Moderator
Posts: 8559
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:24 pm

Re: Kamala Devi Harris

Post by Queequeg » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:14 pm

tingdzin wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:39 am
Queequeg wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:09 pm
tingdzin wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:53 am
Peterc said it all. From what I know of Harris, I admire her, but the Democrats are never going to win national office ever again unless they choose candidates who are not from the thought ghetto of the Northeast and California. Biden isn't, but he's too old. And Sanders is better as a Senator than he would be as a President.
Um... Harris is a prime example of Northeast/Cal establishment thought ghetto thinking...
So? I just said she would not be elected nationwide for that reason. That doesn't mean I personally can't like what she says. If I understand your objection, it seems to be a prime example of the angelization/demonization of political figures in America that has led us to the present pass. I can see the weaknesses of people I agree with, and the good points of people I disagree with. Can you?
Yes. :smile:
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

Post Reply

Return to “News & Current Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 26 guests