Chosing the right master

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
spanda

Chosing the right master

Post by spanda »

Hi

From what i understood, in Vajrayana tradition, it is important to have a fully prepared master. I remember that I read that the process of "testing" the master (to see if it is a genuine one or a fake one?) before embarking on the path could take even 12 years (!). Is this true? Can someone give me some quotes, or some tittles to read in detail about this?

Thanks
Malcolm

Re: Chosing the right master

Post by Malcolm »

spanda wrote:Hi

From what i understood, in Vajrayana tradition, it is important to have a fully prepared master. I remember that I read that the process of "testing" the master (to see if it is a genuine one or a fake one?) before embarking on the path could take even 12 years (!). Is this true? Can someone give me some quotes, or some tittles to read in detail about this?

Thanks
Well, in the beginning, a safe bet is to pick a lineage head like HH Dalai Lama, HH Sakya Trizen, one of the Karmapas, etc.

Then, later, when one has more knowledge and so on, one can choose other teachers.

N
justsit

Post by justsit »

Some related information here.
deff

Post by deff »

i found my root guru through a mirror divination by Lama Dawa - http://lamadawa.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - and am very very pleased with the connection i found. if you have faith in the process, i would really suggest it. it's difficult to 'test the guru' though unfortuantely as most lamas are very busy and it's hard to get enough time close to them to examine them to the extent described in certain texts, at least that's what i've found. best of luck in finding your teacher! :smile:
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

spanda wrote:Hi

Thanks

I wouldn't get too worried about finding a teacher for Vajrayana just now. Namdrol's advice is sound. Heed it.

JustSit's link over to the Berzin Archives is good.

You might also consider getting a copy of "Words of My Perfect Teacher" by Patrul Rinpoche at some point, but I'd even wait on that.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

See here for more info - http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.ph ... 402#p28033" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:namaste:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”