Books for a beginner

dolphin_color

Books for a beginner

Post by dolphin_color » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:15 am

I'm trying to learn how to practice Chod from books. So far I've found these:

Feeding Your Demons (Tsultrim Allione)
Machik's Complete Explanation (Harding)

Which one would help me the most? What is your feedback on these?

Grigoris
Former staff member

Re: Books for a beginner

Post by Grigoris » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:28 am

dolphin_color wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:15 am
I'm trying to learn how to practice Chod from books. So far I've found these:

Feeding Your Demons (Tsultrim Allione)
Machik's Complete Explanation (Harding)

Which one would help me the most? What is your feedback on these?
I take it you have received the prerequisite empowerments and ritual readings for the texts you are practicing?

The book that will help you the most is the one that is related to the lineage you are practicing in as the texts, visualisations and practices are different for each lineage.

Which lineage are you practicing?
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

AWrathfulSloth

Post by AWrathfulSloth » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:43 pm

Feeding Your Demons is a great book that is based on the method of Chod and can be practiced without an empowerment. Lama Tsultrim Allione does training levels in that technique that culminates in Machig's lineage Chod and 5 dakinis practice.

dolphin_color

Post by dolphin_color » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:32 pm

No, I have not. I am completely new to the practice. I'm pretty good at teaching myself from books, so I thought I'd give Chod a try. There are no teachers in my area for this practice.

Tlalok

Post by Tlalok » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:06 pm

Grigoris is of course correct, you're best connecting to an established lineage for practicing Chod (or any tantric practice).

Garchen Rinpoche is actually going to be teaching on Chod in Seattle this weekend, and will also be imparting the Chod empowerment. Its all going to be livestreamed, so I would certainly recommend tuning in.

http://www.drikungseattle.org/
http://www.drikungseattle.org/live-stream.html

Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:58 am

The more I learn about this the more I realize what a huge range and variety chöd practice has. Different visualizations, different liturgies, chöd that can be practiced in a few minutes, chöd that takes an hour or two or...

There are rich teachings in some of the available books, but you will not bring it together if you don't connect properly to a teacher and lineage. Not that there is necessarily a fierce demon who will punish you for trying - or is there? :thinking: But would you think you could learn to play the violin from a book alone? You might make some progress, but you'd not become a violinist of any standing.
All the best
Alex Wilding
Stupa in the Snow blog at http://chagchen.org/

dolphin_color

Post by dolphin_color » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:55 pm

Hi,

It looks like the first book (https://www.amazon.com/Feeding-Your-Dem ... 0316013137) is not technically a manual for doing a Chod practice, but rather a practice grounded in Chod that was developed by Tsultrim Allione... I'm not sure if, considering this, the practice doesn't require an empowerment. Has anyone read the book?

And is it possible to get empowerments online?

Miroku
Former staff member

Post by Miroku » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:05 pm

dolphin_color wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:55 pm
Hi,

It looks like the first book (https://www.amazon.com/Feeding-Your-Dem ... 0316013137) is not technically a manual for doing a Chod practice, but rather a practice grounded in Chod that was developed by Tsultrim Allione... I'm not sure if, considering this, the practice doesn't require an empowerment. Has anyone read the book?

It is possible. Garchen Rinpoche explains it often why it is possible, because the real sense of empowerment is bodhicitta not that someone puts a vase on your head. And if you take part online and follow the ritual and have faith and proper aspiration (for the benefit of all beings) and know what you are doing, then you can be sure it works.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

AWrathfulSloth

Post by AWrathfulSloth » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:17 pm

I had posted something earlier but after a message from Grigoris, I think I'll post a clearer explanation with more resources for what I meant after this weekend.

I will also be participating in the Chod teachings this weekend, though I will have to watch them later in the evening (Khenchen Konchog Gyaltsen Rinpoche is giving teachings this weekend here in Boulder). I highly recommend everything from Garchen Rinpoche, he is a living Mahasiddha.

TharpaChodron

Post by TharpaChodron » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:56 am

dolphin_color wrote:
Hi,

Yes, I have the book and was looking into it out of interest as a clinician because she has a training program for therapists that uses this method. It seems to me it's a secular type approach to Chod, and doesn't require empowerments or even being a Buddhist.

dolphin_color

Post by dolphin_color » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:25 am

TharpaChodron wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:56 am
dolphin_color wrote:
Hi,

Yes, I have the book and was looking into it out of interest as a clinician because she has a training program for therapists that uses this method. It seems to me it's a secular type approach to Chod, and doesn't require empowerments or even being a Buddhist.

Good to know. Please feel free to provide any feedback on it you might have. Are there dangers involved, regardless? Hmm... If it can help people, then even better!

dolphin_color

Post by dolphin_color » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:30 am

AWrathfulSloth wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:17 pm
I highly recommend everything from Garchen Rinpoche, he is a living Mahasiddha.
I just read a bit about his biography... I'm really amazed. What a man.

TharpaChodron

Post by TharpaChodron » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:55 am

dolphin_color wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:25 am
TharpaChodron wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:56 am
dolphin_color wrote:
Hi,

Good to know. Please feel free to provide any feedback on it you might have. Are there dangers involved, regardless? Hmm... If it can help people, then even better!
Well, I think it's a great start and help to people who aren't Buddhist, and there's no danger involved in reading it and attempting the exercises on your own. However, it's pretty simplistic and if you really want to know and understand true Chod practice you do have to go the direct route complete with empowerments etc (I think, but I'm no expert).

AWrathfulSloth

Post by AWrathfulSloth » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:37 am

Ok, so, "Feeding Your Demons" is a book that outlines the technique that anyone can use, which is Lama Tsultrim Allione's technique based on the teachings of Chod. If you pursue that practice path, Kalapa Training as it is called, it leads into the traditional transmission of Chod practice. This information can be found at the Tara Mandala website - https://www.taramandala.org/ . She also offers a full course on ChNN's Chod online which seems expensive but it has a lot of material. Finally, she gives the lung for that practice I think at least once a year via livestream, usually with the lung of Adzom Drukpa's Green Tara and Riwo Sangchod.

As far as begginer's books on Chod, this is the only one you can practice without wang and lung. I do recommend reading about Chod though, as the history and hagiographies will only enrich your experience.

(But it may be moot if you were able to receive the Chod empowerment from Garchen Rinpoche this past weekend.)

Return to “Chod”